Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is wrong with me?!

I am having a really hard time right now. I am EATING anything and everything. I am Pre-op and my consultation appointment isn't until April 11th and I feel like I'm gorging myself...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has done this bit I can't seem to get my head on straight! It's terrible and I feel so bad.

On one hand I'm like, "I'm not going to be able to eat ANYTHING for over 6+ months."

On the other hand I'm like, "you are dumb! Hello?! This is why you NEED surgery-stop!"

I'm lost and don't know what to do. My surgeon is DR Malik in Victoria, BC. And I haven't even met the man yet and I'm scared he's going to make me do a 6 month diet. I've been on a 18 year diet lol! I don't think I could handle another 6 months..

I'm sorry, but I needed to get this off of my mind and no one in my life really understands. I could talk to my hubby and he would be supportive, but he wouldn't be able to truly know where I'm coming from.

Thanks

Sheena

The best I could say is dont do it. you are only going to make your self miserable...

People do this a lot (food funerals) because they feel like after they have surgery they will never eat again, not true you will be eating after surgery, just not as much.

I understand completely! I am trying out my preop diet before I have to do it for real and I wanted to chew my way through the entire fridge tonight. I don't know how I am going to do this.

One day at a time.

I did same thing but as surgery date grew closer I decided to ween myself off soft drinks, sweets, and carbs. You will go thru phases. Hang in there.

Unfortunately, I did the eat everything and anything in sight thing. I did it for a little over two weeks and then I started hating food and stopped. That day I started my 3 day pre-op diet two weeks early. After that I controlled things. Seriously, when I was overheating I made myself mentally sick with what I was doing. I hated myself.

Oh, and I gained an extra 10 pounds.. Ugh!

It was for this reason my surgeon demanded a psych eval as one of his pre-surgical requirements. To be sure his patients do not have such strong food addictions that they will sabotage them selves after surgery. Don't look at it as a time frame, look at it as a life change. WLS takes you to a whole new dimension, a life that doesn't revolve food but instead let's you get back to the things food took you away from.

Good luck, and try not to be so hard on yourself.

I know exactly how you feel! My surgery is on 2/26. I wasn't put on a pre-op diet but I can't gain any weight or he won't do the surgery. That scared me into lowering my calories and eliminate sodas. However, my REAL motivation is knowing the lighter I am and the healthier my liver is the surgery goes better and is safer. You WILL have those foods again if you want them later on. However, as Laura-ven told me when I was sad about this, what have those foods done for you? A few minutes of pleasure but a lifetime of physical and emotional pain. The food isn't worthy of you!

Hang in there! We are here for you!

I did this the week before my surgery and I am so mad at myself that I did. I wound up at 450lbs the day of my surgery and I would of been almost ten pounds less if I wouldn't of went and ate all of my favorite foods the week before.....

Thank you everyone. I don't feel so bad knowing I'm not the only one who has gone through this. And you are right, I need to stop letting the foods that got me here rule me. I appreciate every one of you! I love reading about all your journeys and it inspires me so much!

I feel the same way!!! I don't know what is wrong but now should be the time to learn how to eat better... Hang in there, it will change soon!!!

I am/was addicted to pepsi, I told myself would never do WLS. Then I realized that pepsi and food we in control, and this is all about control. Well if you knew me you would laugh as I am in control in all aspects of my life, work and home yet I let food take over! Don't let it win, that is what this is about, we can have what we want, eventually, and if we can't well it's not the end of the world, you can do it, but don't make your journey longer than it has to be.

QUIT BEATING YOURSELF UP!!! A lot of us did the same thing you are doing and that's exactly why we all had the VSG! You CAN'T fix your problems on your own and that's why your getting the VSG. My opinion is...why try to fix things in the 11th hour? It makes no sense. Now, if your doc says you MUST lose weight and you MUST go on a certain diet before your operation then you absolutely should. My doc didn't mandate a certain diet until 3 days prior to surgery so trust me, I at everything I could get my hands on! So, what if I gained 10 lbs before my surgery?! The weight didn't come on overnight and it won't all come off overnight either. In other words, the weight is going to come off after your VSG so just don't sweat it for now. It would be much better for you going in to surgery with a healthy positive mind then stressed, negative and disappointed (once again) in yourself. Again, as long as you are otherwise healthy and your doc doesn't tell you that you must go on a diet or lose weight prior to surgery. Good luck!