Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Normal to eat this much?

I had my Operation on 2/11/13 and im in the same boat. I have no problem eating sugar free pudding cup (slowly of course). I could only eat about a 1/3rd of a can of chicken broth however.

I'm 4 weeks post op....I can only eat very little ( one hard boiled egg, 2 oz. of lean meat, 1/2 cup chili) however I find I'm able to drink a lot more. Thankfully , because I need to et more fluids in. In the beginning it was hard to even take a few sips.

I am 4 weeks post op and I have learned the hard way several times on how much is too much. today I made some chicken tenderloins and put 3 ounces on the food scale and it didn't look like much. but oh boy was it too much! I will not have more than 2 ounces in the future. pain in my chest and stomach for almost 2 hours, spitting up large amounts of slime and even vomited up some.

Your stomach is in shock you can't feel when your full that's normal but try to only eat 2oz at a time until your stomach heals ..eat 2oz wait 30 minutes then it again to give your stomach time

Hi everyone' date='

I had my surgery on February 6th and I'm worried about the amount of food I can get down okay. I keep reading about people only being able to eat a few bites of this or that or only being able to eat half of a pudding cup. I'm 11 days out and I can eat a whole yogurt or a whole sf pudding with no problem. I had a fan of Campbell's Soup yesterday with half the can filled with skim milk and I almost ate the entire thing (except for a few bites), but was definitely full afterwards. I'm just worried that my sleeve is bigger than its supposed to be or something.[/quote']

I find these questions confusing....did your doctor not tell you an amount to eat at one sitting? If he didn't...gad what a horrible doctor! You should not be "listening" to your stomach to tell you that it's full. It's still healing and won't respond properly. You should NOT be sitting down to eat an entire can of soup at this point. If you didn't understand your docs orders call right away this is dangerous.

I am 2weeks postop and I am on soft foods....today I was able to a whole can of Soup on 1 sitting. Omg...is that normal. Oh also' date=' yesterday, I ate about 4 buffalo wings plain and a half of a tilapia filet....I did throw it up...ughhhh[/quote']

Buffalo wings at two weeks? These are NOT soft food. Nor should you be sitting down to a can of Soup. It wasn't healthy prior to surgery so why would it be now? Please call your nut because you are risking damaging your stomach. And you desperately need some guidelines!

Buffalo wings at two weeks? These are NOT soft food. Nor should you be sitting down to a can of Soup. It wasn't healthy prior to surgery so why would it be now? Please call your nut because you are risking damaging your stomach. And you desperately need some guidelines!

I have to agree ..

Shortsleevedkay please reframe from eating chicken wing I would suggest you join a support group I kno it hard I'm 27 days out some soft food I've eaten is like tuna , mash potatoes , um yogurt try some of these food and take or time I'm here if you wanna talk pm me I'm not perfect but here

I'm three weeks out and felt the same. Eating and drinking was wayyy too easy. But definitely feeling more restriction as my stomach loses numbness and my food gets more dense. Hang in there. Even if you're not feeling completely full, stop if you've had an adequate amount and you're at least satisfied.

Shortsleevedkay please reframe from eating chicken wing I would suggest you join a support group I kno it hard I'm 27 days out some soft food I've eaten is like tuna ' date=' mash potatoes , um yogurt try some of these food and take or time I'm here if you wanna talk pm me I'm not perfect but here[/quote']

Thanks a lot...I will not eat the wings again...I thought that if I chew it up real good it would be puree in my mouth..lol...yes never again...I will try tuna....the tilapia was great and soft to chew...I am lactose Intolerant so I must choose wisely. Thanks again everyone

I love pureed tuna with a little pickle juice.

Why do you puréed it's soft enough to chew I haven't puréed anything .. But the pickles juice I have to agree I put egg to more Protein and a dap of lite mayo so good I'm not one of those ones that strict about like mayo I'm going to have two to three tsp so I enjoy and I'm losing plenty of weight

Why do you puréed it's soft enough to chew I haven't puréed anything .. But the pickles juice I have to agree I put egg to more Protein and a dap of lite mayo so good I'm not one of those ones that strict about like mayo I'm going to have two to three tsp so I enjoy and I'm losing plenty of weight

Good question. I think I just liked it pureed, made it smoother and less dry. How do you add egg? Cooked?

If you feel like you are able to eat too much you need to set a time limit for eating. My doctor recommends sitting down to eat for no more than 20 or 30 minutes on a regular basis (not social functions) because yeah.... if you take long enough I bet you can get a lot down because it turns into this grazing type of behavior.

I feel like people are being a little bit hard on you, but they are right, at least about the chicken. Its too soon to be sitting down with 4 chicken wings, and you might be shocked to learn how many calories those things have. My husband and I Celebrated our anniversary at outback steak house and of course we just ordered the wings and shared. I had one, but ONE SERVING of those wings is 2.5 wings, and they had OVER THREE HUNDRED CALORIES.

You catch my drift.

The Soup thing in my mind isn't AS big of a deal, and people may jump on me, but I was told to count Soups as a liquid for those first few weeks and to stay hydrated and keep sipping on whatever I felt like, within reason, we are not talking milkshakes here people.

I do think its probably not a good idea to sit down with the whole can though, because then its not teaching you what proper servings are. Even more than measuring by volume though, you need to WEIGH food. Because somethings it will say like... a quarter of a cup OR 28 grams. Well, a lot of times if you just pull out your measuring cup and scoop a quarter of a cup, it actually weighs WAY MORE than 28 grams, and you are still going over your serving size. Understand what I am saying? You need to go to Walmart or target and get a 20 dollar digital food scale. You don't need the most expensive model, but you do NEED one, and you need to set it up were it will always be out and there for you to use for everything.