Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleever of 2 months - Please share with me

Hi, I'm Casey and I underwent the Gastric Sleeve on 12/28/12. I was so excited for this new chapter in my life. But honestly, I feel lost now - because although my surgery was what my surgeon called " a wonderful text book surgery" I have experienced nothing but problems since. I have not been able to hold anything down in my stomach that is not Soup. And it takes forever for me to eat 1/2 a cup. Since my surgery, I have thrown up everything I have eaten. I was in the hospital for most of January. NOTHING is wrong with my sleeve. I have undergone endoscopy and my surgeon is the Director of a well known Metabolic Center in Boston. He says that my stomach and esophagus need time to heal after the constant vomiting I have undergone. I can't tolerate any of the Protein Drinks (I've tried them all). I wish that in the support groups that I attended prior to surgery, they had had people who had spoken about complications and resolutions that they have gone through so that I could have had a realistic expectation of what *might* happen. I am now have been on a PIC line for nutrition at night while the swelling in my stomach and esophagus heals. My surgeon has told me that it WILL get better, but honestly - I am feeling claustrophobic in my own body. I would love to hear from others who have experienced this AND GOTTEN better. Please don't share any horror stories with me because I'm freaked out as it is. I just want to hear from people who have gone through a similar experience and have gotten through it. Thank you! :)

P.S. - Although he has told me my sleeve is narrow. I do not have a stricture of any sort. I hate this feeling as though something is stuck behind my throat that makes me want to gag... I WISH I could push back the clock and not have gone thru this surgery. :/

I don't have any advice to offer, but I wanted you to know I am thinking about you and praying for you to heal.

I havent had my surgery yet is this normal?

No, everyone's bodies respond differently to the surgery. Just know that... My body is taking longer to heal. I wonder if there is any correlation between those women who under this surgery who have had hyperemesis during pregnancy. I should have known my stomach would rebel against this. LOL

Thank you SleevieRay - I really appreciate that. :)

I hope your feeling better soon. I need to investigate the procedure more I guess.

I had hyperemisis with both of my pregnancies and have had zero problems with nausea or vomiting. I am so so sorry you are going through this. I wish you nothing but the best and I hope that you keep us updated with your progress.

Also thinking of you & hoping you start to feel better soon. Although I didn't experience what you are going through, I have heard it does get better & know that we are all here to help you get through this tough period....

Thank you all very much. I appreciate your support. :rolleyes:

I am so sorry you are having a hard time. I had a leak that changed my life.

I totally agree that complications of all kinds need to be addressed more even at the seminars. But it is unlikely to happen, their goal is to get people in and not scare them away. I researched this surgery for two years and thought I was prepared. But I was more ignorant than I realized.

i am seeing a counselor bc it is hard to get over this angry/ sad/ impatient I just want my life back feeling. It does help to talk to someone. Family and friends get tired of hearing about your issues after a while.

I will keep you in my prayers. One day at a time. It will get better.

Holly

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Thank you Holly :) Just like you I researched this for two years before going through it. I thought I was ready - I WAS ready for the presurgery part. I had NO idea how hard it would be on the post-side. I didn't realize how much of a crutch food had been to me. It was my "comfort" and it has been such a shocker emotionally not having anything to "turn" to in its place. Habitually every morning I would get a D&D Skim latte with a thick foam on the way to work... Those habitual food things that right now I cannot do. It has made a void. The fact that I am on a PIC line for nutrition while my stomach heals has kind of made it difficult for me to go out in a social setting after work. I agree with you that it has to be about *more* than trying to draw people in to undergo bariatric surgery - it has to be *informative* all the way around. I know they make you go thru a psychiatric screening before determining if you are suitable for the procedure - and I passed. I thought I was ready. But if I had known what I know now - if they had had different experiences present themselves at the support groups it would have helped me to get the whole 360 picture. Instead of this kind of "pie in the sky" (no pun intended) type of - this gastric sleeve procedure will have me in the hospital for 2 days and then I will go right into post surgery mode. That was not the case. This surgery is NOT reversible. My options now are as follows (as presented to me by my surgeon). 1) Allow more time for my stomach and esophagus to heal and receive my nutrition intravenously for the next few weeks via PIC line. 2) Undergo a stent procedure - keeping in mind that sometimes the metal stents move and you have to have surgery to get them 3) Undergo the third type of bariatric surgery - the big one. I have NO desire to undergo ANYMORE surgery. So I have decided to go with the first option - a longer time to heal. I just hope that I haven't traded my "quality of life" in for a "smaller stomach." - I don't say any of this to scare anyone away who hasn't gone through the surgery. I say it because its important BEFORE you undergo surgery to hear different sides so you can make an "informed" decision.

I try and think that things happen for a reason. And since this happened to me I have talked to others like you who feel the same as myself: there needs to be more information available.

I am so happy for people who do not have complications . I wish that was for 100% of us but I don't feel the "complication" stats are accurate either. I know so many people need this surgery for health reasons and I know it has saved countless lives too. But I would not doing again

I had two stents. If you can avoid it I would recommend so.

I went out with my husband last night to a deli we both loved. I had him put some of his potatoe on a plate for me just to make it look like I was eating lol. But I was watching others, including him, with huge portions and going back for double and I thought " that used to be me...no wonder I got fat". :)

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Hang in there. I had surgery May 17, 2012, was in hospital 9 days and had to go back weekly. for about 2 months for IV fluids as I was dehydrated. Couldn't keep much down. I had 4 endoscopic stretches over the first 2 -3 months and finally started doing better. Just want you to know, I now have no regrets. I have lost a total of 161 pounds including 54 pounds lost pre op. Early on I had the same feelings of regret that you are having, but I want you to know that not only do I not regret the surgery, I think its the second best thing I've ever done. Going to therapy to prepare for this surgery was the first best thing as I know I would not have been successful had I skipped that step. I hope you will soon be done with the complications and miserable times and begin to enjoy the many benefits and pure joy and amazement that I feel as I watch my body change and my health improve each day. Sending prayers and.positive thoughts your way for strength to get through this awful time and fast healing and recovery.

I am 2 mo post op and have not had any of your issues. You have all the symptoms of a restriction. If I were you I would see a DIFFERENT surgeon. Not one of his best friends that will agree with everything he tell you either. Someone impartial. all of my pre op documentation, which is a binder full, states with your symptoms, go to the hospital. If your surgeon is not helping, seek other treatment. You do not need to suffer. I feel great and am thrilled I have been sleeved. Get help and you will too