Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any good broth/soup base recipes?

In Texas, Walmart has it. Sometimes it's by the Soups and sometimes it's by the Mexican Cuisine items.

Here's a picture (I think LOL

post-52170-1381366338141_thumb.jpg

Tortilla Soup is amazing and easy. Make a salsa of your liking. I do 1 bunch green onions, 1 24 oz can of PEELED whole tomatoes in their own juice (very important to be in their own juice - others are gross), 1 4 oz can jalapeños, 1 4 oz can green chilis, 1 Tbsp garlic powder, 1 Tbsp Kosher salt and 1 bunch cilantro. Purée in whatever you have - a blender is sometimes hard, but works. Then you get a whole chicken and do just as instructed above for chicken soup - cover it with Water, add chopped onion and any veggies you like. After several hours, remove the chicken from broth. Shred it all up and put back in the broth along with the salsa. You can put the broth in the frig overnight without the salsa mixed in to get the fat to the surface to scrap off first if you want. After all ingredients are mixed, serve to your family and you strain your portion. Don't forget the tortilla strips for your family. Yummy! And then as time goes on you can purée the entire soup as your tummy allows until you can eat the soup just as your family does. Enjoy!

Ok, going to try to find the Caldo De Pollo this week at Walmart. Thanks for the great ideas folks... keep 'em coming!

The good one I buy is Maggi in the Mexican food isle it's Tomato chicken. I have a crockpot going with it now. Chicken, leaks, carrots, celery, 1 box of chicken broth and 3 heaping tablespoons of Maggi. Yum!! No addl salt is necessary. BTW you might want to check the label for MSG. If you are sensitive to it.

what I do because I too do not care for the store bought stocks, is as follows:

in a large pot place a whole raw chicken with the skin (or sometimes Ive used chicken theighs cause i was out of whole chicken)

fill the pot with Water to cover the chicken.

add 2 whole onions, skins and all. do not remove the dry skin this gives the broth the color.

add 2 large carrots unpeeled.

add 2 stalks of cellery

add a whole head of garlic

salt and pepper

3-4 bay leaves

1 tbsp parsley

1 tsp basil

let this all come to a boil then let it simmer for 3 hours. once the color is good, and the taste is satisfactory remove all the chicken and place in a bowl. remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon, then discard them. take the chicken meat off the bone and discard the skin and bones. return the chicken to the broth (it will be soo tender :) ) add chopped carrots, chopped cellery, corn kernals, barley, lentils, and Pasta (or potatoes), then let it simmer until the veggies are tender. season again if necessary. I added Epicures chicken broth mix into it. its low in sodium and just boosts the flavor of the stock.

hope this helps and happy Soup makin'!!!!