Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any good broth/soup base recipes?

I don't care for the store purchased broths. Does anyone have any recipes for a good beef-vegetable broth? I realize we can't eat the meat and veggies post op but was thinking about making some Soup base and just getting rid of the solids for now. I never know what all seasonings and such to put in home made soup. HELP!! lol

I guess some chicken broth ideas would be ok too.

Hi! I use Beef shank. Throw a couple in a pot with garlic a whole onion and oregano. Skim the yucky stuff off and once that is all done continue to let boil for another hour or so till meat id flling of fthe bone. Add cilantro, carrots, celery, zucchini and salt to taste. If you have some Knorr buillion you can add some of that in place of the salt. Let all boil until veggies are done. After cools down remove all the meat and veggies you can feed to your family. Put the broth in another pot and place it in refrigerator till all congeals, skim off all the fat. It's pretty good. I do the same with chicken and turkey.

Hi! I use Beef shank. Throw a couple in a pot with garlic a whole onion and oregano. Skim the yucky stuff off and once that is all done continue to let boil for another hour or so till meat id flling of fthe bone. Add cilantro, carrots, celery, zucchini and salt to taste. If you have some Knorr buillion you can add some of that in place of the salt. Let all boil until veggies are done. After cools down remove all the meat and veggies you can feed to your family. Put the broth in another pot and place it in refrigerator till all congeals, skim off all the fat. It's pretty good. I do the same with chicken and turkey.

Beef shank? is that something I would need to get from a butcher? Or will any grocery store do? It all sounds yummy

My sweet, sweet Mom made chicken broth for me because I don't care for canned chicken broth either. I've been such a ridiculous red meat eater my entire life (I'm a born and bred Texan, I came by it honestly), that I thought I'd prefer some beef broth on my pre-op liquid diet, so got some of the beef broth in paper cartons. Three to be exact. I heated one mug full, and it was just disgusting. I was already feeling a bit ill, and for some reason that beef broth smelled exactly like wet dog to me, and didn't taste much better. As a result, I can't even imagine drinking it post-op, homemade or not, because my sense of smell and taste is just so completely sensitive and out of whack. Those three cartons are still in the fridge. x[

The chicken broth my mom made has been an incredibly nice break from the plain Water, sweet popsicles, and sweet Protein drinks. She just put a whole chicken in the crock pot and covered it with store-bought chicken broth (low sodium). She did salt it some and put a bay leaf and let it cook for hours and hours. After that, she strained it to get all the the meaty bits out. Then she strained it again through cheese cloth to make sure it was perfectly clear for my clear liquid phase. Then she let it chill for a bit and skimmed all the fat off. I know it sounds really plain, but it's not. It's very savory, and I'm glad now it's on the plainer side because my new stomach is so picky a week out from surgery.

The only time I regretted her making it was my second night home when I got really nauseas (I was dehydrated) and a chicken was cooking in the crockpot. The smell was so unbelieveably potent and I would have gladly hurled it out the window if I could have lifted it just to get away from it. Thankfully, a Promethazine, a cool and damp washcloth over my nose, and about 30 minutes saved me, the crockpot, the chicken, and the window from disaster. :lol:

My sweet, sweet Mom made chicken broth for me because I don't care for canned chicken broth either. I've been such a ridiculous red meat eater my entire life (I'm a born and bred Texan, I came by it honestly), that I thought I'd prefer some beef broth on my pre-op liquid diet, so got some of the beef broth in paper cartons. Three to be exact. I heated one mug full, and it was just disgusting. I was already feeling a bit ill, and for some reason that beef broth smelled exactly like wet dog to me, and didn't taste much better. As a result, I can't even imagine drinking it post-op, homemade or not, because my sense of smell and taste is just so completely sensitive and out of whack. Those three cartons are still in the fridge. x[

The chicken broth my mom made has been an incredibly nice break from the plain Water, sweet popsicles, and sweet Protein drinks. She just put a whole chicken in the crock pot and covered it with store-bought chicken broth (low sodium). She did salt it some and put a bay leaf and let it cook for hours and hours. After that, she strained it to get all the the meaty bits out. Then she strained it again through cheese cloth to make sure it was perfectly clear for my clear liquid phase. Then she let it chill for a bit and skimmed all the fat off. I know it sounds really plain, but it's not. It's very savory, and I'm glad now it's on the plainer side because my new stomach is so picky a week out from surgery.

The only time I regretted her making it was my second night home when I got really nauseas (I was dehydrated) and a chicken was cooking in the crockpot. The smell was so unbelieveably potent and I would have gladly hurled it out the window if I could have lifted it just to get away from it. Thankfully, a Promethazine, a cool and damp washcloth over my nose, and about 30 minutes saved me, the crockpot, the chicken, and the window from disaster. :lol:

I love it...ha ha ha... that was fun to read! It sounds simple enough for me to handle making too and sounds like a great option for after surgery so long as I don't all into that whole smell thing you had to deal with! Thanks

I went to cash an carry and bought a big bottle of liquid Knorr Professional Liquid concentrated chicken flavor base. Then I toss in frozen cauliflower and chopped celery and a pinch of thyme and a pinch of sage. If ya make a big pot, broth for you, chicken veggie Soup for family!

I was traveling on my pre-op, so I had to find a way around the canned stuff. I went to panera and ordered chicken noodle Soup, but I asked for the broth only. I then strained it, and let me tell you, I was in HEAVEN! You could probably run it through a cheese cloth to get the last bit of particles out post op.

I was traveling on my pre-op, so I had to find a way around the canned stuff. I went to panera and ordered chicken noodle Soup, but I asked for the broth only. I then strained it, and let me tell you, I was in HEAVEN! You could probably run it through a cheese cloth to get the last bit of particles out post op.

I did a similar thing after lapband. I went to a restaurant and ordered the Veg Beef soup and asked for broth only.

Beef shank? is that something I would need to get from a butcher? Or will any grocery store do? It all sounds yummy

You can usually get in the market.

Hi all

I am 5 days post op and I had miso Soup from the japanese rest it was so good! I was thinking of also using the broth from wonton soup. I am the same way I cannot tolerate the chicken broth from the containers its horrible to me too!

Hi all

I am 5 days post op and I had miso Soup from the japanese rest it was so good! I was thinking of also using the broth from wonton soup. I am the same way I cannot tolerate the chicken broth from the containers its horrible to me too!

Can't say that I have ever had Miso soup... or for the matter ate a Japanese Rest...lol Trying to come up with some ideas before my surgery (3/13) knowing that I am certainly not drinking the nasty canned stuff. I see at Walmart there is now some little containers of a soup base that you just add Water too but Im thinking making my own would be better.

There is a powder called Caldo de Pollo (soup of chicken inspanish). It's very tasty! It's the only keeping me same!!!!! If you've ever eaten chicken ramen noodles, it tastes EXACTLY like that!

They come in a brown jar with yellow label and a green lid or in cubes. I use 1teaspoon in 16 oz of Water

There is a powder called Caldo de Pollo (soup of chicken inspanish). It's very tasty! It's the only keeping me same!!!!! If you've ever eaten chicken ramen noodles, it tastes EXACTLY like that!

Do you know if Walmart carries it?

Yes, Walmart does carry it. Try the Tomato chicken base, it's wonderful and makes a great chicken vegetable Soup too!! At 4 months, my Mom made chicken veg soup with homemade noodles, just delightful!! Even if I could only eat a couple of noodles!! But the broth it makes is outstanding!!