Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

Forget hospitalization ... its the visits to the ER, infusion units, the malnutrition bout was a totally different story. Metabolic acidosis and alkalosis is NOT fun. I had a great ride, just had to pay the piper. LOL.

Without know what metabolic acidosis and alkalosis are...they sound awful. How do you avoid that?...

Electrolytes going off and/or your Protein being too low. In my case any way. Can kill you but you figure it out before anything gets too bad for the most part. {{shrug}}

Okay - day three done and at the end of week one now. It's really good - I just paid the 2.99 for the full app, and am darned sure now that i can get to the 5k point. Today was the same as day 2 on the app, but i found myself enjoying it far more and finding i could have gone longer at nearly all of the jogging spans than the little voice told me to. I didn't just knowing i'd ramp up in plenty of time, and that there's a reason one takes it slow. So nice to feel like it's doable. It's especially nice since i think all my working out and walking and jogging has somehow helped to stall my weight loss, so feeling this as measurable progress helps a LOT.

Ava - how is yours coming? Anyone else enjoying or struggling with it?

Okay - day three done and at the end of week one now. It's really good - I just paid the 2.99 for the full app, and am darned sure now that i can get to the 5k point. Today was the same as day 2 on the app, but i found myself enjoying it far more and finding i could have gone longer at nearly all of the jogging spans than the little voice told me to. I didn't just knowing i'd ramp up in plenty of time, and that there's a reason one takes it slow. So nice to feel like it's doable. It's especially nice since i think all my working out and walking and jogging has somehow helped to stall my weight loss, so feeling this as measurable progress helps a LOT.

Congrats on completing Week 1!! It's nice having someone on the same schedule as me. :) What's the benefit for the full app?

I really am enjoying it too, and I'm finding it hard to take it slow. I want to do it every day.. Especially since the scale has been stuck. I want to hit the 100lb lost mark sooo bad. I've been wavering 2 - 4 lbs above it for over a week. ><

I did Day 1 of Week 2 yesterday. For my app, it increased the jogging interval to 1.5 mins and walking for 2 mins in between. I was nervous about the increase, but I managed better than I expected. My breathing and side stitch problems have eased up. I started early morning yoga twice a week at my gym and I think it's really helping. I try to breath deeply, slowly, and through my nose only. It also helps the time go faster too. Lol!

What music do you listen to when you jog?

Congrats on completing Week 1!! It's nice having someone on the same schedule as me. :) What's the benefit for the full app?

I really am enjoying it too, and I'm finding it hard to take it slow. I want to do it every day.. Especially since the scale has been stuck. I want to hit the 100lb lost mark sooo bad. I've been wavering 2 - 4 lbs above it for over a week. ><

I did Day 1 of Week 2 yesterday. For my app, it increased the jogging interval to 1.5 mins and walking for 2 mins in between. I was nervous about the increase, but I managed better than I expected. My breathing and side stitch problems have eased up. I started early morning yoga twice a week at my gym and I think it's really helping. I try to breath deeply, slowly, and through my nose only. It also helps the time go faster too. Lol!

What music do you listen to when you jog?

I agree - good to know we started together. It IS hard to wait that day in between, but then it's my day to (try) to do strength training, so that helps. And I do five warmup minutes on a treadmill before hand, plus hitting my 7000 steps each day walking. So, the full app just keeps going. The free one stops at day ten or so I think. At least mine did. I decided it was easier to go ahead and do it for a sense of commitment too. I'm on day 1 of week two as well (today) and it did two minutes of jogging and 1.5 minutes of walking for four repeats, then one minute of each for two more repeats, plus warm up and cool down minutes. Each day is about 28-32 minutes on mine. I do find some days I feel like I could just keep going, but then the little voice at the end says, "See you in a couple of days" and i'm reminded that i'll be less likely to have pain or injury if i take it in a good slow pace like this. Oh - the other thing the paid app allows is for you to choose male or female voice for your coach.

Music - I like oldies that have a good rhythm and a good 'message' or encouragement. Yes, "Pretty woman" is on my playlist! Hah. But i have some newer things too, and a few slower calmer ones. I set up three workout playlists, one is a bit longer for walking days, one a bit shorter and has more of a certain type (strong woman vocalists mostly - and now that i think of it some who are now getting closer to my age like Cher! I AM getting old, but she's a great inspiration of someone who has aged well I figure).

GREAT that you're doing yoga at the gym - my gym has a class but it's pretty bad. I used to go to a studio and loved what it did for my stretching and how my body felt. Let me know how you'r eliking it!

Week 2 is two minutes of jogging? Oooo. Yours is harder. I use "C25K Free" by Zen Labs, and it certainly looks like it goes on freely for the full 8 weeks. I'm going to be so bummed if in the middle it says I have to purchase and then it starts over or something. I had also downloaded another app that seemed so awesome. It was like the Nike run app that GPS mapped your distance and speed and figured out your calories burned. Nifty thing, but then it didn't have audio cues. I'm not going to watch my phone screen in hand to see when it's time to switch it up.

Thursday was my first yoga class ever. I can't say that I liked it. I really liked how I felt after, but I found it intense during. I think I'm one of those people who is susceptible to hypnosis, and it really tripped me out in an out of body, disorienting, and nauseating way. At the end, we were supposed to completely relax laying on the floor, and the instructor talked us through feeling like we were melting into the floor. It felt like my body weighed a literal ton, and I wanted to puke.

I'll have to start an inspirational running playlist too. Thanks for the ideas. :)

Week 2 is two minutes of jogging? Oooo. Yours is harder. I use "C25K Free" by Zen Labs, and it certainly looks like it goes on freely for the full 8 weeks. I'm going to be so bummed if in the middle it says I have to purchase and then it starts over or something. :)

I have zen lab too and it is totally free. I am now using the zen labs 1/2 marathon trainer. You guys are doing great. Keep up the good work!

Mine is by Clearsky - didn't see the free one you all are talking about when I looked it up. I just looked for the highest rated couch25k and when it looked comprehendible to my non-running brain I went for it-hah! Oh well, $2.99 is not so big a deal, and I like format so far. I didn't realize I miss spoke when I said it pushed you to do two minutes jogging in week two, it's only 1.5 minutes this week with varied times in recovery, then next week it really varies starting with a couple of 2.5 minute jogging sets, interspersed with two 1.5 sets. I'm glad I have a week before that one starts!

I will admit I started this couch to 5K mostly to give myself goals to work towards in being able to do a 5K soon, but also largely to nudge my weight-loss along. It's not working!!! Help! I cannot believe I have been doing that alternate days with working out at the gym (not fiendishly, just a basic 30 minute strength training that includes warm-up time on the treadmill) and yet for the last three weeks I have bounced up and down two or 3 pounds without any net loss. I swear I think I am going nuts it is so frustrating.

Two weeks ago the nutritionist suggested I might not be eating enough and bumped me from 700 cal to 800. It does not seem to have helped. I do take my measurements, and they have changed slightly so I know I'm not gaining fat when my scale bobs up and down, but good grief this is hard. Anyone have ideas or suggestions?

@@katesuccess I can totally relate to everything you have said. I was working out 5-6 days a week already when I downloaded C25K app and at first I was doing the 3 days of the app and then going to the gym for 35-55 minutes on the elliptical and 1 hr of lifting on the same days and on alternate days 2 hrs at the gym. I was burning a ton of calories and hadn't lost a pound. Same as you I was going up and down a few pounds. I tried tweaking it to make it work and to be honest I still haven't figured it out. I have the band so I can have 1200 calories/day but I truly think it's not enough to make this whole thing work with all the exercise. So now I am running a 5k 5 days a week and only lifting at the gym 3 days and I still haven't lost pounds but have definitely toned and lost inches. It is super frustrating but I can say I have been running now 3 months and I can really see a difference. So don't give up just try to figure out what works best for you. There is a member named fiddleman he may be able to better help you he is extremely knowledgable in this area. Best of luck! Hang in there!!!

Mine is by Clearsky - didn't see the free one you all are talking about when I looked it up. I just looked for the highest rated couch25k and when it looked comprehendible to my non-running brain I went for it-hah! Oh well, $2.99 is not so big a deal, and I like format so far. I didn't realize I miss spoke when I said it pushed you to do two minutes jogging in week two, it's only 1.5 minutes this week with varied times in recovery, then next week it really varies starting with a couple of 2.5 minute jogging sets, interspersed with two 1.5 sets. I'm glad I have a week before that one starts!

I will admit I started this couch to 5K mostly to give myself goals to work towards in being able to do a 5K soon, but also largely to nudge my weight-loss along. It's not working!!! Help! I cannot believe I have been doing that alternate days with working out at the gym (not fiendishly, just a basic 30 minute strength training that includes warm-up time on the treadmill) and yet for the last three weeks I have bounced up and down two or 3 pounds without any net loss. I swear I think I am going nuts it is so frustrating.

Two weeks ago the nutritionist suggested I might not be eating enough and bumped me from 700 cal to 800. It does not seem to have helped. I do take my measurements, and they have changed slightly so I know I'm not gaining fat when my scale bobs up and down, but good grief this is hard. Anyone have ideas or suggestions?

Okay, so our apps aren't too different. I was like, dang, your Week 2 looks like my Week 3. Lol. The running portion of Week 3 for me will rotate between 90 seconds jog, 90 seconds walk, 3 min jog, 3 min walk. I'm nervous for that too, but I'm sure I'll be ready for it when I get there. Oh, and the New Orleans summer thunderstorms are forcing me to take things slow. Hopefully I can do Day 2 today! I may have to jog in the rain...

I feel your pain, Kate. I haven't had the scale stall for a full three weeks yet, but I definitely know how deflating it can be. Especially when you're doing everything right. It's like, what more could I do?? In the first 3 months after surgery, I lost an average of 4 lbs a week. In the second 3 months, down to 3 lbs a week. Since hitting the 6 month mark, it's been 1.5 lbs a week. I really hope getting in to running will get some of that momentum back. I have a local support group meeting tonight and hope that will help my morale.

I wish I could give you some suggestions, but I don't think I have things figured out either. There's so much conflicting information. I only get between 500-600 calories a day and 50-60 grams of Protein. IMO, that's too low, but my surgeon sternly wants me to go as low as I can. He said if it was possible to get 0 calories and 50 grams of Protein, that's what he'd be recommending.. Of course I have friends and family (including two cousins who are dietitians) in my ear about how dangerous and counterproductive that is and lecturing me on the biology of "starvation mode". I've resigned to just obeying my surgeon until reaching my goal regardless. It's simpler.

That's great Ava, and I would kill to lose 4 pounds a week! Sorry you've seen it slow though, I guess it does for all of us. I had my two months check back yesterday andd tour talked about Paleo and uber-intense working out. Nothing definitive enough youth. So I emailed the RN who runs the overall progra and asked her more specifically--she was great, and got right back to me. She told me that the nutritionist (who bumped me up to 800 cal/day) tends to want people to eat more, but they always see weight-loss moving faster if you can keep down to 600 cal a day or thereabouts. So, that's my plan.

Also the doc was pleased at my couch25K and gym work--said he has seen good results with a big major overkill workout keeping heart rate in higher range the whole time, once or twice a week--so intense that I could not expect to recover those calories by eating. Okay--I love a plan! So this morning I did theC25k and kept going for two miles to my Breakfast date, then turned around and did two more miles back. I now have 16000 steps and can imagine doing this once a week--maybe twice at times.

That's great Ava, and I would kill to lose 4 pounds a week! Sorry you've seen it slow though, I guess it does for all of us. I had my two months check back yesterday andd tour talked about Paleo and uber-intense working out. Nothing definitive enough youth. So I emailed the RN who runs the overall progra and asked her more specifically--she was great, and got right back to me. She told me that the nutritionist (who bumped me up to 800 cal/day) tends to want people to eat more, but they always see weight-loss moving faster if you can keep down to 600 cal a day or thereabouts. So, that's my plan.

Also the doc was pleased at my couch25K and gym work--said he has seen good results with a big major overkill workout keeping heart rate in higher range the whole time, once or twice a week--so intense that I could not expect to recover those calories by eating. Okay--I love a plan! So this morning I did theC25k and kept going for two miles to my Breakfast date, then turned around and did two more miles back. I now have 16000 steps and can imagine doing this once a week--maybe twice at times.

On top of doing your C25K routine, you walked 4 more miles? That's super impressive!! Like, seriously. Especially in the morning. I find that I have a real energy problem in the morning, if I try working out. I guess because I haven't yet gotten the calories in. I finished Day 3 of Week 2 this morning, and during the last jog of it, I found it hard to even keep lifting my legs. :unsure: I had to lay down for a bit when I got home. I definitely should have had my morning shake before. I feel much better now.

I'm glad your doc and the nurse are giving you such positive feedback and a straight forward plan! It's nice to hear the experts affirm that that's a clear losing rate difference between 600 and 800 cals, and I feel better about what I'm doing. The dietitian at my clinic actually had the sleeve done in mid-November, and that's so helpful. She hosted our support group meeting on Wednesday, and I learned that I've actually lost more than her. So that makes me feel pretty freaking successful. Lol!

You may have said before, but which pedometer do you use? I'm thinking of getting the FitBit Zip. Other than the time I set aside for exercise, I'm still very sedentary. I could use another layer of motivation and a daily activity goal.

Also, I signed up for my first Run. :D July 26th, and I think I'll be in Week 5 then. I'll try to jog for as much as I can.

Congrats on signing up for that run Ava! Can't wait to hear how you like it. Nice too that your NUT has had surgery - that would make a huge difference I'd think. Seems like they're always size 4 or smaller, no? Not that size is an issue, but hard to feel like they understand when i'm sitting across from them at 250 lbs, and they don't half fill their desk chair.

My straightforward plan isn't so much so now. The Nut and RN at my support group said the exact opposite - less exercise and more calories. I just posted it on a separate thread in hopes of getting some help. I'm hating not having a good plan!

I use a Fitbit One and i love it. Super strong clip so i never even come close to losing it, synchs on it's own, quite accurate (i've tested milage, stairs climbed, distance and steps - all check out so far!) and it's so discreet. I clip it on the inside cup-edge of my bra, so I can reach in and grab it and turn it to see where I am pretty easily -- or take it out altogether.

I was going to sign up for the Fire Dash here (5k with fireman-like obstacles!) but it's over $70 per person, and i just can't swing that for both myself and daughter. I'll look for just a fun-run though and get signed up.

FitBit Zip ordered! Thanks for the inspiration. I really think it will help me stay active on a regular basis, no just in bursts. The sleeve'll definitely bring about change in you, but I'm also discovering more about myself. I didn't realize how goal oriented I am. Like, not finishing C25K isn't an option. Gonna happen.

The Fire Dash sounds intense. I can't wrap my brain around feeling fit enough for obstacles. You've got guts! I found my run on this site: http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/. Hope there's some good stuff in your area!