Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

I would like to add that once I started trail running, I totally forgot about time and distance. Now I just go out and run. I record my distance but only so I'll know for later. I rarely monitor it during the run. I enjoy the scenery and the fresh air, and I rarely even consider it exercise....even though it is. Now on the road, I get board after a while.

Signing up for another 5K. Just downloaded the 10K app. Never in my life did I imagine this as my reality. Bat-sh*t crazy!

Signing up for another 5K. Just downloaded the 10K app. Never in my life did I imagine this as my reality. Bat-sh*t crazy!

LOL....yep....you're in deep. There's no turning back. You're hooked.

Ran my final long run before my race. Made it 11 miles, but was hurting the last two miles. Think I'll be able to run the half on Sunday the whole way. I'll just have to dig deep and try to run faster at the beginning. I was way too slow the first 6 miles today.

Good luck today!!!

Good luck today!!!

Thanks! At the starting line in the line for the bathrooms. Nervous and excited.

How'd you do, Dee?

I am kicking my exercise up a notch this week. I am going to notch up my speed on the treadmill and I'm going to Zumba twice. I'm sick of seeing the same number in the scale. Doubling down on. Low carb too. I will let y'all know how it goes. I'm not complaining because this is effectively my first stall, at more than 8 months post-op.

Finished in 2:44. My goal was under 2:45. Started crying as I crossed the finish line. Such an emotional accomplishment. Never thought a year ago that I would be running a half marathon. Hope that I inspire more sleeve surgery patients to start running and persevere. I have bad runs and days where I don't want to go any further, but I just keep going and know that I'll have a better run next time.

My surgery was 1/17/13 and I met my sleeve sister as I was waiting to go to the hospital. We've stayed good friends and have kept each other motivated. Her and her partner Gina cheered me on at mile 9 and the finish. Spending the rest of the day at the Grand Wailea celebrating an awesome year and wonderful life.

Finished in 2:44. My goal was under 2:45. Started crying as I crossed the finish line. Such an emotional accomplishment. Never thought a year ago that I would be running a half marathon. Hope that I inspire more sleeve surgery patients to start running and persevere. I have bad runs and days where I don't want to go any further, but I just keep going and know that I'll have a better run next time.

My surgery was 1/17/13 and I met my sleeve sister as I was waiting to go to the hospital. We've stayed good friends and have kept each other motivated. Her and her partner Gina cheered me on at mile 9 and the finish. Spending the rest of the day at the Grand Wailea celebrating an awesome year and wonderful life.

Congratulations! You are an inspiration and it brought tears to my eyes to hear how emotional it was for you. Life can be so great. Enjoy you deserve it.

That's amazing. Congrats on such an awesome accomplishment ....and even more so for turning your life and health around. There's nothing you can't do.

I did it! I just finished the c25k app. It is still very very challenging me to just run for the 30 minutes so i think i am going to stay at the 30 minutes for awhile - at least until it doesn't feel like i am going to die and then add a minute every week. Still can't believe it. While I am running I am saying to myself -you are a 48 year old overweight woman who has never run in her life- who are you kidding to run for 3 miles-- but I just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Then its over and I am in the last minute and I get a SxxT-eating grin on my face.

I did it! I just finished the c25k app. It is still very very challenging me to just run for the 30 minutes so i think i am going to stay at the 30 minutes for awhile - at least until it doesn't feel like i am going to die and then add a minute every week. Still can't believe it. While I am running I am saying to myself -you are a 48 year old overweight woman who has never run in her life- who are you kidding to run for 3 miles-- but I just keep putting one foot in front of the other. Then its over and I am in the last minute and I get a SxxT-eating grin on my face.

That's great!! Keep it going!! Next will hear about you running 5 miles!

You are awesome! I love it. Another Couch to 5k graduate!

Its been 6 days since my last run due to the fact that there is a ton of snow and ice outside. This doesn't mean i've stopped working out. I've been doing strength training and the elliptical for cardio but I can't believe I'm saying this I kind of miss the running thing. Do you think I will loose some ability to run because of the break? It doesn't look like the snow will be melting anytime soon and I guess I will have to break down and run on the treadmill. Do you think it is as effective as running outside? I guess its better than nothing.

Its been 6 days since my last run due to the fact that there is a ton of snow and ice outside. This doesn't mean i've stopped working out. I've been doing strength training and the elliptical for cardio but I can't believe I'm saying this I kind of miss the running thing. Do you think I will loose some ability to run because of the break? It doesn't look like the snow will be melting anytime soon and I guess I will have to break down and run on the treadmill. Do you think it is as effective as running outside? I guess its better than nothing.

Because of work and illness I only ran 4 times in December! I don't think you'll lose any distance unless you go for longer than 2 weeks. The treadmill can be effective, just increase the incline to 2%. I've only been running 2 days a week for the last few weeks, but doing a lot of walking. Not feeling any different during my runs, in fact, my body has fewer aches.

I still think the treadmill is harder / more uncomfortable. I think because your body naturally wants to vary the pace when you're running. I have better luck on the treadmill gradually increasing my speed (by .1 or so) every minute or so until I get to a good speed, then varying it a bit during the heat of the run and gradually slowing down at the end, than by pounding away for 45 minutes at the exact same speed. When I am outside my speed can vary from 8 to 9.5 kph (my app tells me my average speed each kilometer) so I try to emulate that on the treadmill and it feels more comfortable.