Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

I also had plantar fasciitis, I was told to freeze a bottle of Water, once it's frozen roll it under your foot back and forth.

Just finished W4 D1. I've been off a while because on W3 D3 I ran outside instead of on the treadmill' date=' and I either bruised the inside of my heel or am coming down with plantar fasciitis. It still hurts but I can't let that stop things.

If anyone has any tips on how to best ease the pain on this lmk. I'm doing stretches, ice, but no pain drugs.

I've added a different insole in my shoes. I'm running in Brook;s Beasts for motion control and they are pretty heavy for running but okay for treadmills, but I also run on the pavement with Sacouny Grid Stabils again for over pronating.[/quote']

The ChiRunning approach talks about landing solid in the middle of the foot. This will prevent issues like plantar, shin splints, pain right below your knee and so on. It also talks about leaving as light a footprint as possible. Imagine running on a sandy beach where the wave has made the sand a little wet. You want to leave as little of an impression as possible. This takes a lot of practice but goes a long way in injury free running.

Absorbing more of the shock in your quads and core may help with this. When I run, I feel a little spring on impact such that the energy is absorbed by a strong core. Back is straight, shoulders back, chest out and body is relaxed as possible in order to let energy flow where it needs to without causing muscle tightness or joint issues.

I know that my posts push ChiRunning a lot, but it really is a good approach to running without injury and with enjoyment.

You mention that you run in Brook Beasts and that they are heavy for running. I do not begin to know anything about running shoes so I depend on the experts in the running store. They fitted me with a very light Nike running shoe that I have used for 4.5 months now, approximately 20 miles a week. And the tread is still very good. If you have not been fitted for a running shoe yet, I would highly recommend it.

So fiddleman, how did you learn these techniques? We're you able to learn via reading a book? I'm asking because there are workshops in my area, they cost about $200 for a full day workshop. I don't mind spending the money, especially if it something that will help me with running.

At school I'm taking a core fitness class that focuses on breathing, alignment and posture needed for proper exercise. I have to admit the stuff I have learned in this class has helped me tremendously, so I'm well aware that posture and breathing can make a huge difference.

I'll look into ChiRunning. Thanks

Shoes have been fitted. Beasts are my every day trainer, with an additional orthotic for flatter arches. The Sacuony's are my official running shoe, again fitted (analyzed via video on a treadmill at the running store.) Oddly enough, I popped the heel in the Sacouny's even though the orthotics are the same inside the shoe. I'm hoping it more of an internal bruise as it was the first time in quite a few years that I had run outside on the pavement (asphalt trail). Also as a rule I had never ran on pavement when I was above 200 lbs to keep from wrecking my knees. I was about 210 when this happened.

I'll look into ChiRunning. Thanks

Shoes have been fitted. Beasts are my every day trainer' date=' with an additional orthotic for flatter arches. The Sacuony's are my official running shoe, again fitted (analyzed via video on a treadmill at the running store.) Oddly enough, I popped the heel in the Sacouny's even though the orthotics are the same inside the shoe. I'm hoping it more of an internal bruise as it was the first time in quite a few years that I had run outside on the pavement (asphalt trail). Also as a rule I had never ran on pavement when I was above 200 lbs to keep from wrecking my knees. I was about 210 when this happened.[/quote']

Yes, I agree not to run if your weight is too high because of greater risk for injury. My decision was to start running at 225 lb. Others may be able to run at higher weights, but please be careful and listen to your body carefully. I really do not enjoy running on pavement even at 175. I prefer treadmill or dirt road or trail.

I am on week 5 day 2 of this program. I really like it. I can definately tell a difference! Good luck!

Honestly - I think all of my physical activity has alot to do with why I haven't had any major stalls. I have never stalled more than 1 1/2 weeks. The doctor predicated I would lose 6 - 7 pounds a month since I only had 80 lbs to lose (funny - only 80) - but I am 5' 1". I am averaging 10-12 lbs. I am eating and taking my Vitamins as well as Protein drinks/shakes.

Keep up the good work! I will probably due the 5k to 10k after this. We shall see. I want to do some of the fun runs like the Zombie Run and Paint run. I have goals!!

I also had plantar fasciitis' date=' I was told to freeze a bottle of Water, once it's frozen roll it under your foot back and forth.[/quote']

How do u manage with this? My dh can barely walk at the end of the day from normal activities. If he does anything with stairs or inclines- he's out of commission for days. :( he's tried the braces and orthotics. No such luck. I've told him about the water bottle, but he hasn't tried it yet. I feel horrible for him because he will try to push through the pain and I know it's horrible.

What works for u?

Sorry that I'm off topic- but hey, someone doin a 5k might have this question too. ;) I have done a search before as well, just was curious about ur personal experience.

Anybody ever check out the Jeff Galloway run/walk/run method? Last weekend at my half marathon I saw a bunch of people doing it. They had their timer set to go off to tell them

when to walk and when to run. His website has very detailed directions on how long to walk and how long to run based on your fitness and goals. But I noticed the people doing it did not get tired and they made up the time lost walking by running faster at the end because they were not fatigued. Several elderly people run/walked right by me with no problem. I may have to try it.

Yes, he's big with the RunDisney folks. He actually spoke at the last event I was at and I walked right on by. D'oh! I also missed Ali Vincent (biggest loser winner from awhile ago)! I'm still bummed about that.

And yeah- I've seen the walk/run people finish with decent times. Not too shabby for doing some walking.

So fiddleman' date=' how did you learn these techniques? We're you able to learn via reading a book? I'm asking because there are workshops in my area, they cost about 200 for a full day workshop. I don't mind spending the money, especially if it something that will help me with running.

At school I'm taking a core fitness class that focuses on breathing, alignment and posture needed for proper exercise. I have to admit the stuff I have learned in this class has helped me tremendously, so I'm well aware that posture and breathing can make a huge difference.[/quote']

I learned initially by reading the Chi Running paperback a few years ago. I could not do it very well when I weighed 245, but it helped prevent injury at the time. After that I had a terrible injury to my foot that put me in a knee scooter for months. My weight climbed literally 100 lb because I did not know how to eat right. Before I would keep my weight down even though consuming 3000-5000 calories a day because of long cardio sessions, including runs that would be 4 hours long and 20 miles in length. After my weight went up to 360 due to lack of physical activity and eating wrong, I decided enough is enough and had the VSG. At month 5, my weight was approximately 225 and I decided to run again, focusing on Chi Running techniques that I had practiced before. It took about a month to really get good at it. Now it is like walking to me and I do not need to think about technique. Practice makes perfect as the saying goes. The Chi Running web site also has some good resources and information on it. I know BTB did the seminar and found value in it. I have not so am unable to speak about it. Good luck in your running!

So fiddleman' date=' how did you learn these techniques? We're you able to learn via reading a book? I'm asking because there are workshops in my area, they cost about 200 for a full day workshop. I don't mind spending the money, especially if it something that will help me with running.

At school I'm taking a core fitness class that focuses on breathing, alignment and posture needed for proper exercise. I have to admit the stuff I have learned in this class has helped me tremendously, so I'm well aware that posture and breathing can make a huge difference.[/quote']

I took the chi running seminar a couple months ago and liked it a lot. I thought it was worth the money. I also read the book and bought the DVD. I learned different things from each one, but honestly the seminar was the most valuable.

How do u manage with this? My dh can barely walk at the end of the day from normal activities. If he does anything with stairs or inclines- he's out of commission for days. :( he's tried the braces and orthotics. No such luck. I've told him about the Water bottle' date=' but he hasn't tried it yet. I feel horrible for him because he will try to push through the pain and I know it's horrible.

What works for u?

Sorry that I'm off topic- but hey, someone doin a 5k might have this question too. ;) I have done a search before as well, just was curious about ur personal experience.[/quote']

I suffered with PF in the past and it was no fun. The frozen bottle trick really helps keep the inflammation down. Other things that helped were making fists with your toes to strengthen the tendon. Especially while standing on carpet...gives a little resistance I guess. I did lots of Achilles stretches to help with the flexibility. Now they sell a special boot like device that keeps your foot in dorsiflexion while you sleep which prevents the plantar fascia from tightening up at night while you sleep. It looks a lot like an ankle brace and I believe my wife bought one at Walmart....and they can be ordered cheaply from most Amazon.com.< /p>

Told by the Physical Therapist that they don't recommend clients with total knee replacement walk, but not run so I'll be trying to up my speed of walking. At 3.0 or 3.1 mph now which is so much better for me.

How do u manage with this? My dh can barely walk at the end of the day from normal activities. If he does anything with stairs or inclines- he's out of commission for days. :( he's tried the braces and orthotics. No such luck. I've told him about the Water bottle, but he hasn't tried it yet. I feel horrible for him because he will try to push through the pain and I know it's horrible.

What works for u?

Sorry that I'm off topic- but hey, someone doin a 5k might have this question too. ;) I have done a search before as well, just was curious about ur personal experience.

the first couple of days were brutal. If I sat for a while then got up, my foot really hurt badly. Getting out of bed in the am was tough too. I stayed off the treadmill for about a week, and haven't run on the pavement since. I'm just gutting it out now, stretching it out, icing it down when I can. Also I don't walk barefoot or wear flipflops. If it doesn't get better I may go get shot of cortisone so that I can keep running. I have a 5k schedule in June, so I can't let up.

Thanks, guys! Johnlatte, u described my dh symptoms to a tee. He even said, "hey, that sounds just like me!" Lol. How long does the cortisone shot provide relief?

Thank u, BTB for the specific stretch suggestions. He tried making the fist with the toes and it gave him a little bit of a charley. I told him to only start with a few and do it daily. He's going to sleep in his brace tonight. I read about them here and ordered them awhile ago. He used them inconsistently.

I'm hoping that if he hears about people getting past the initial pain of stretching things out and starting to exercise more, he would be more inclined to stick with it. I know it has to be discouraging.

Thanks for the help!!