Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Started 'Couch to 5k today' Anyone keen?

This sounds pretty cool. How far out of surgery were you before you felt like you could start this (no necessarily DID start it). For the last few years I've really wanted to do a Try-a-Tri that is near where we camp every summer in July. It's a 400m swim, 13.1 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. How soon will the average sleeved feel up to starting to train for this? My surgery is scheduled for 3/11 which only gives me 4 months until the event.

Paul I think that's plenty of time. Most people start seriously training about the 6 week mark. Check with your surgeon.

I'm pretty keen to do something like that down the track. I figure if I focus on the running and get my fitness up the swim and ride might take care of themselves!! :P

I'm in! I had printed the plan off of pinterst and had it taped to the treadmill. I'm almost 6 weeks out so have docs ok to really exercise. Just did day 1! Wanted an exercise top with compression to feel more secure. Did it with an empty stomach, Water earlier. Drinking premier Protein shake now! Accountability may be just what I need! Great idea!

That's awesome. Keep us updated!

Did session 3 of week 1 last night.

It felt easier. Now I'm not kidding myself that my fitness has improved after 1 week, but I think my confidence has.

I actually started yesterday. I had started the program a couple of years ago and made it all the way to the 20 min run. I ran 20 min once and then couldn't do it the next time. I got so depressed about it that I quit. I'm not doing that again!

I was sleeved on 12/6/12 and my goal is to have my 100 lbs gone in a year and then run a half marathon 6 months after that. That should be the spring or summer time and perfect weather.

Goid luck everyone and I'll keep checking back in.

I finished the first week before coming down with pneumonia. Haven't been able to run in a few weeks. I suspect that I will have to start over. I'm shooting for a 10k sometime this spring with the kids.

Paul I think that's plenty of time. Most people start seriously training about the 6 week mark. Check with your surgeon.

I'm pretty keen to do something like that down the track. I figure if I focus on the running and get my fitness up the swim and ride might take care of themselves!! :P

I have two friends who have attempted the Tri-a-Try a few years ago. One is a cop and the other is a fireman. Both are in pretty good shape. Neither could finish the swim. You're not Judy swimming, you're swimming with a lot of other people and both said it was way harder than they thought it would be. I figure I'll take their lessons to heart and concentrate on the swim, and maybe the bike and run will take care of themselves! Haha

Still going strong.... Week 2 day 3. I feel so good, and I swear my butt is getting its round shape back.

Last week when I was on the treadmill, I just had an overwhelming urge to try running for a bit. I had this entire head conversation with myself - you should try it, but I've never run, I'll look stupid, but you should try it.......so I tried it and ran for a bit then walked then ran for a bit again.

Now every time I'm on the treadmill I do the same thing. Walk, run, walk, run, walk.....

Just signed up to take a class C25K, it's offered thru the Wellness Program at the hospital I had my surgery at. Begins March 7th and lasts 10 weeks. I will be 60 in October and have never run - but damn it I'm going to try my hardest to do this! My daughter said she would train with me, her husband is a runner and she wants to be able to run with him.

Wish me luck!!

I actually started yesterday. I had started the program a couple of years ago and made it all the way to the 20 min run. I ran 20 min once and then couldn't do it the next time. I got so depressed about it that I quit. I'm not doing that again!

I was sleeved on 12/6/12 and my goal is to have my 100 lbs gone in a year and then run a half marathon 6 months after that. That should be the spring or summer time and perfect weather.

Goid luck everyone and I'll keep checking back in.

How cool is it to have a goal like that and the fact that it will be achieved. Good on you.

I have two friends who have attempted the Tri-a-Try a few years ago. One is a cop and the other is a fireman. Both are in pretty good shape. Neither could finish the swim. You're not Judy swimming, you're swimming with a lot of other people and both said it was way harder than they thought it would be. I figure I'll take their lessons to heart and concentrate on the swim, and maybe the bike and run will take care of themselves! Haha

Yeah I've seen that. Especially if you have to get around a buoy and everyone crushes up!

The beach up the road that does mini tri's has a very strong current when the tide is coming in and out. It's caused by a large river nearby. They always let the beginners swim with the current. I people could do it floating on their back if they wanted!

Oliver's Mom- you're awesome! Keep us posted on how a class goes! I just use an app on my phone.

I did week three, night two last night and felt pretty good about it. I tacked on my extra 90 seconds of run at the end so I run a bit in the cool down cycle and walked past the 32 minute mark to cool down.

There's an electric run planned in San Francisco the end of April. Depending on how this goes, I might try that out if I can get friends to go too.

Be careful folks....at first, you'll hate running,...then you'll kinda start liking it.....then you'll get addicted like me. Next thing you know you'll be calling in sick to work so you can go for a long run.....um.....not that I ever did that.

Starting Portland Fit on 2/23. Basically the same thing (I think). Goal is half marathon. Not sure I'll get there but will be ecstatic to get to a 5k.

This sounds pretty cool. How far out of surgery were you before you felt like you could start this (no necessarily DID start it). For the last few years I've really wanted to do a Try-a-Tri that is near where we camp every summer in July. It's a 400m swim' date=' 13.1 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run. How soon will the average sleeved feel up to starting to train for this? My surgery is scheduled for 3/11 which only gives me 4 months until the event.[/quote']

I just asked today at my appointment about doing a 5k, they told me I could walk a 5k the day after surgery if I felt up to it but that I couldn't start heavily training to run or jog it until 2 months post surgery. I hope this helps!

I just asked today at my appointment about doing a 5k' date=' they told me I could walk a 5k the day after surgery if I felt up to it but that I couldn't start heavily training to run or jog it until 2 months post surgery. I hope this helps![/quote']

Thanks, it does help. I figure I can spend the first two months walking and building up endurance, and then once I'm cleared it will give me another 2 - 2 1/2 months to train hard for it. It should be plenty of time since its a shorter version anyway.