Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Questions About Hair Loss and Highlights...3 months post-op

I usually get highlights on a regular basis. The last time I got them was right before surgery in October. I really need some because my roots are showing bad and it is driving me crazy. I am 3 months post-op and I have experienced very little hair loss so far. My questions are:

When you start losing hair does it happen all of a sudden? I know that most people say it starts at 3 months, so I am waiting for it to start falling out, but hoping it doesn't.

Do you think getting highlights at this 3 month point is a bad idea since any chemical treatment weakens the hair?

My hairdresser has been keeping a close watch on my hair. She said it actually looks healthier to her (probably because of all the Biotin I am taking). She said we could try like 3 or 4 foils in the top only if I felt comfortable with it. I am just not sure what to do.

I have my hair done with highlights and lowlights all the time. Never had a problem with it since surgery. My hair did start falling out at around 3-4 months, but it was just gradual, not all at once. The only way I could tell was because my hair was always everywhere on my clothes...not because of actual noticeable thinning. Then a couple months later re growth began showing everywhere, so I had a lot of shorter hair...so I ended up going with a short bob cut for a while, which looks way better on me anyways. Good luck!

I continued to get my foils every six weeks all throughout my process. I was completely freaked out about my hair the entire time! (but i survived look at my after pics-- you can't see any difference right?) But you will lose hair, but no one will notice but you. Mine started at 4 months and stopped at 8 or so. you will live! the foils didn't make mine worse.. I would have felt worse with out my highlights for sure!

Good to know... :)

I continued to get my foils every six weeks all throughout my process. I was completely freaked out about my hair the entire time! (but i survived look at my after pics-- you can't see any difference right?) But you will lose hair, but no one will notice but you. Mine started at 4 months and stopped at 8 or so. you will live! the foils didn't make mine worse.. I would have felt worse with out my highlights for sure!

Ditto! I had the exact same experience. Kept my highlights about every 6 weeks. Started losing around 3 months, and it's now basically stopped (9 months post-op). It was gradual (hair in my pick after combing, on my clothes, etc.) But it did get pretty thin (especially on the sides/back). I've had short "sprouts" for a while now that I originally thought were hairs that had broken off, but now I realize they are new growth (trying to catch up!).

If that's the worse price I pay than I am MORE than fine with it!

I did not take Biotin or any special supplements for Hair loss. Just my multi-Vitamin daily, a B12 injection 1/week and omeprazole for stomach acid.

It will grow back, it will grown long again, and I'll love it with my new skinny self. :)

I am a hair dresser and frankly the worse thing that can happen from highlights is that your hair may become brittle/ dry. It wont fall off but if left in your hair longer then needed your hair will become Gummy and sort of disintigrate. This can happen to anyone whether they had surgery or not.

I'm Pre Op right now, my surgery is March 1st. All of this talk about Hair loss has me so nervous! I have really long black hair, it's been like my security blanket all of these years. I'm thinking of starting Biotin now, but I'm unsure how much to take. For those of you that take it, what is the dosage? And where do you buy it? Thanks in advance!

I am 5 months post op. I have lost so much hair n it really sux. This has been in the last two months I have to keep cleaning after combining my hair all time or else is everywhere. I do my hair every 6weeks too, but I also started wearing extensions. I need my roots done soon but I am at the border line of just getting a bob hair cut n going all dark cause everytime I do my roots I feel my hair weaker. My hair dresser also says that my hair is part of my body change and since I use no bleach it shouldn't matter. Here are some pics of my hair 2months now is have of that (extensions are on) I have lost more on my sides I know its not a big price to pay when I am so much healthier and happy but these forums let me have hope that it will grow back :)

post-50452-13813663033409_thumb.jpg

I'm Pre Op right now, my surgery is March 1st. All of this talk about Hair loss has me so nervous! I have really long black hair, it's been like my security blanket all of these years. I'm thinking of starting Biotin now, but I'm unsure how much to take. For those of you that take it, what is the dosage? And where do you buy it? Thanks in advance!

You can get it in any nutritional store. But you should ask your doctor first. You want to b safe b4 surgery. Good luck too you, your day is almost here!

Nothing you take will stop the process. The fast weight loss is a shock to your body, just the same as chemo is a shock to the body and the hair falls out. (No you won't lose it all like chemo though ;) ) my hair was defiantly my security blanket. Always had lots of thick beautiful hair. Even after the hair loss that I had no one could tell but me. My hairdresser only noticed when I had a lot of re growth. I did go with a shorter hair cut after it started coming back in...but by then my face was so much skinnier that the shorter bob cut looked fantastic on me....I no longer needed all that hair to disguise my fat face! :)

I foiled my hair a couple of weeks after sugery no problem. I usually get my foils every 3months alternate between a full and partial. My hair has started falling out 5months out now but I figure since it's a foil and the color doesn't touch the folical it should be OK. I hope.

I'm Pre Op right now, my surgery is March 1st. All of this talk about hair loss has me so nervous! I have really long black hair, it's been like my security blanket all of these years. I'm thinking of starting Biotin now, but I'm unsure how much to take. For those of you that take it, what is the dosage? And where do you buy it? Thanks in advance!

I buy my Biotin at my local Walmart. It is not very expensive. It comes in bottles of 1000 mcg or 3000 mcg. My nut said I could take between 1000 and 3000 per day. I started out taking 1000 a day, but I have recently started taking 2000. They are about the size of a tic tac and very easy to take. I think my hair does feel thicker since I started taking them.

Thanks for all the advice. I think I will go ahead and get my foils soon. :)

Thank you ladies! I'm planning on asking my doctor next week when I see him! 18 days and counting!! :)

Well, i'm now a member of the Hair loss Club. I started noticing a lot of hair in my brush, on my clothes, etc..just a couple weeks ago. It was even wrapping around the hair brush handle. Last night I cleaned out the brush, brushed my hair, and it was full of hair again! Eeekkk! My hair is kind of long, very thick. Not sure if I should color or not (it's due), not sure if i should wait a while or just get it chopped now to spare the mess somewhat. My surg was 10/25/12. Sw 300/cw 245. Age 50