Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Omg am at my 3rd week of surgery and everything is giving me heart burn and I take my Pepcid everyday does anyone know why this is happening to me please help

Same happened to me. Was not on a PPI until about 2 weeks post op and I started to get heartburn. Kind of expected it. Even had to sign a paper at the surgeons office before surgery, that. Good chance of heartburn. Maybe you are not taking enough. Call your surgeon for advice.

I am 6 months out and still on my PPI...everyone is different, but heartburn is normal...I'll take the heartburn in exchange for the weight I've lost...good trade off for me...I'll keep popping my PPI every morning.

I am 6 months out and still on my PPI...everyone is different' date=' but heartburn is normal...I'll take the heartburn in exchange for the weight I've lost...good trade off for me...I'll keep popping my PPI every morning.[/quote']

Lol thanks

Same happened to me. Was not on a PPI until about 2 weeks post op and I started to get heartburn. Kind of expected it. Even had to sign a paper at the surgeons office before surgery' date=' that. Good chance of heartburn. Maybe you are not taking enough. Call your surgeon for advice.[/quote']

Thanks

I am almost 3 years out and still take PPI's. I had to change "brands" and up dosage (2 pills) till I found one that worked. I take 2 pills every morning if I don't take them I know it! That being said I am exploring getting off them BUT if I can't it is a trade off (agree w/Junior Guru)

Dee

I was on a prescription dose of omeprazole for two or maybe three months, then I dropped down to the costco OTC version which is half the dose.

I try to only take it when I need it (I'm 13 months out) and do well that way, but for several months post-op it was an every day need.

There's a chewable that does well for me too - Pepcid Complete. Its not cheap but they have it at my costco. That works better for me than tums or rolaids types chewables.< /p>

I'd call the surgeon and ask them for something stronger or at least talk to them about it.

Good luck! It'll get better!

I have alot of heartburn now, pre-op. It's probably GERD, but I haven't been diagnosed. I thought that this would get better when you lose the weight.

I have alot of heartburn now, pre-op. It's probably GERD, but I haven't been diagnosed. I thought that this would get better when you lose the weight.

I had an undiagnosed hiatal hernia that was fixed during my sleeve surgery. It was likely the cause of a good deal of my pre-op heart burn. The post op heart burn hasn't been a forever thing in my case. I was on the Rx strength stuff for a few months but no longer have regular heartburn issues. An occasional pepcid complete or OTC omeprazole is more than enough for me and I'll go weeks and not need it.

I am almost 4 weeks out and also am struggling with constant heartburn. I spoke to my surgeon about it and he suggested increasing the PPI to 2 times a day and that I could add an H2 blocker if needed. So far nothing is really helping, but from what my surgeon says it gets better. Good luck.

i haven't had surgery yet.. scheduled on the 12 of march.. Just saw my doctor yesterday and i asked about the heartburn because i already have it and have been taking nexium everyday for a few years. He said that we need to be careful because with the sleeve a lot of ppl get heartburn. what he had told me was if it gets to bad that they suggest having bypass surgery. I am certainly not hoping to have to do that. Not that great of news i suppose but it is what i was prewarned. Just wanted to pass that information on. I would suggest ridding it out for as long as you can to see if it changes with time.