Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

some post-op questions (one kinda gross).

1) Before I had surgery, I had cut out all sodas for weeks, was drinking lots of Water, and as a result, my urine was almost completely clear and looking great. I know that's gross to say out loud, but I was so happy with that because I've had chronic UTIs in the recent past from drinking too much Coke Zero and not enough Water. I was just wrecking my system. So, seeing that healthy turn, and it being something that I did on my own, for my health, was a huge step for me. I've noticed since my surgery 4 days ago that my urine is really dark. Is that normal after surgery? I know that the nurses monitored my output in the hospital when I had the catheter, and even after I started going to the bathroom on my own, and they never said anything about it. Still, being home and seeing it so much darker than it was is a little worrisome and I just want to make sure that is normal.

2) Starting last night, my stomach is insanely LOUD. It is making so many noises. I was on the phone last night and it rumbled so loudly once that my friend thought someone had driven down the road without a muffler. xD I'm thinking it's maybe just gas moving around, because it's all over the place. On the other hand, I don't know about that because by an extreme miracle, I had ZERO gas pains after surgery. I have had gas, but I didn't have any of the shoulder pain or pressure anywhere. I'm so grateful for that! So, the noises... what's happening down there?

3) I'm having a super hard time getting any Protein in at all. Is this normal the first week or so, and is it going to hurt me? The surgeon said to concentrate on just staying hydrated for now, and that that comes first before the Protein, because I can dehydrate really easily right now. I'm just kind of freaked out by that. I basically haven't eaten in days and days, since I've only had a couple of ounces of Protein Drink each day. I was able to take the chicken broth at the hospital pretty well, and will continue that at home, hoping it also has some nutrients in addition to just water. I'm just scared something bad is going to happen, or that it will hinder my healing or something. Please share your experiences/thoughts on this, if you have them. In the mean time, I will keep trying. I'm finding the Syntrax nectar nearly impossible to drink, so going to try Isopure Zero Carb later today. REALLY hoping it will be better, because it's really my last option until I'm past Clear liquids stage.

1) Before I had surgery' date=' I had cut out all sodas for weeks, was drinking lots of Water, and as a result, my urine was almost completely clear and looking great. I know that's gross to say out loud, but I was so happy with that because I've had chronic UTIs in the recent past from drinking too much Coke Zero and not enough Water. I was just wrecking my system. So, seeing that healthy turn, and it being something that I did on my own, for my health, was a huge step for me. I've noticed since my surgery 4 days ago that my urine is really dark. Is that normal after surgery? I know that the nurses monitored my output in the hospital when I had the catheter, and even after I started going to the bathroom on my own, and they never said anything about it. Still, being home and seeing it so much darker than it was is a little worrisome and I just want to make sure that is normal.

MINE WAS TOO. I THINK IT'S BECAUSE WE AREN'T GETTING IN NEARLY AS MUCH WATER. 5 1/2 MONTHS OUT I STILL DON'T DRINK AS MUCH AS I DID BEFORE.

2) Starting last night, my stomach is insanely LOUD. It is making so many noises. I was on the phone last night and it rumbled so loudly once that my friend thought someone had driven down the road without a muffler. xD I'm thinking it's maybe just gas moving around, because it's all over the place. On the other hand, I don't know about that because by an extreme miracle, I had ZERO gas pains after surgery. I have had gas, but I didn't have any of the shoulder pain or pressure anywhere. I'm so grateful for that! So, the noises... what's happening down there?

I BELIEVE IT IS GAS.

3) I'm having a super hard time getting any Protein in at all. Is this normal the first week or so, and is it going to hurt me? The surgeon said to concentrate on just staying hydrated for now, and that that comes first before the Protein, because I can dehydrate really easily right now. I'm just kind of freaked out by that. I basically haven't eaten in days and days, since I've only had a couple of ounces of Protein Drink each day. I was able to take the chicken broth at the hospital pretty well, and will continue that at home, hoping it also has some nutrients in addition to just water. I'm just scared something bad is going to happen, or that it will hinder my healing or something. Please share your experiences/thoughts on this, if you have them. In the mean time, I will keep trying. I'm finding the Syntrax nectar nearly impossible to drink, so going to try Isopure Zero Carb later today. REALLY hoping it will be better, because it's really my last option until I'm past Clear Liquids stage.[/quote']

I WAS TOLD TO CONCENTRATE ON GETTING ENOUGH liquids AT FIRST. YOU DON'T WANT TO GET DEHYDRATED.

i was the same on the urine and stomach sounds...all normal

Drink the fluids for the first week....you have Protein stores in your body to cover you short term. Once you are advanced to full liquids, that is when you start your protein. My tummy is SUPER loud as well, the dog has barked at it! As far as the urine, just keep drinking your clear liquids.

When your urine is dark, it usually means that your not getting enough fluids in. If getting fluids in is really hard, try some G2 Gatorade diluted with Water. It helps alot. Also your Protein Shake is counted as Fluid also but more thicker and makes you full longer. So work on getting your fluids up. 64 oz is a good number to shoot for. Also suck on some popsicles that are sugar free also. Otherwise everything is normal. Here's too a quick recovery. :)

Keep hydrated, I am 6 days out from my sleeve and I am only allowed clear liquids till this Tuesday. If your urine is dark it could be a sign that you are dehydrated and that will cause problems until you are able to turn it around. I was instructed to use little medicine cups (that hold 1 oz) you should be drinking 4-6 of these every hour. I would suggest the clears so you can hydrate faster. sugar free Popsicles also work great. Did you call your doctor? You are only four days out so I would focus more on the clear liquids like sugar free Jello, sugar free Popsicles, clear tea, broths; your insides are still waking up from the anesthesia. Sounds are normal. Good luck and please take care!