Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 4 months post op today. I have been exercising, but this week I started Water aerobics plus regular gym workouts. I cnat seem to get a full 64 oz of water. I also try to drink 2-3 8oz. Protein Shakes made with Unjury Protein and almond milk a day . DO I count those my protein shakes made with almond milk as Fluid also. Since i exercised more I cant hold as much in the stomach no matter what it is. please give me some advice.

As with many subjects the answer seems to vary depending on your dr. and nut. However my Dr. says that you do count Protein Shakes in your fluids, this does make sense to me since the point of the 64 oz of fluids is to keep you hydrated and the liquid in the shakes will also keep you hydrated. Good Luck.

I asked my nut. the same thing..... She said protien as a drink is a meal. Don't count it in your Fluid total. She said your body needs the extra fluids to pass the protien through your system.

Alright having done a little further research i now have to revise my earlier answer because it turns out that Protein Shakes increase the amount of Water that travels into your cells and therefore increases the amount of water you need. As such i would think that you should not count the shake as Fluid intake. This is probably another good reason to try and get your Protein from foods instead of shakes.< /p>

Yea my doc says the same thing Protein Shakes do not count!!! And girl I so feel you I can never meet my Water of 64oz!!! It sounds so easy but its not!!

Yea my doc says the same thing Protein Shakes do not count!!! And girl I so feel you I can never meet my Water of 64oz!!! It sounds so easy but its not!!

No it is not easy. After surgery Dr made me get between 40-64 oz didnt matter if it was broth, water or Powerade. He wouldnt release me until I did get at least 40 oz Fluid. Some days I get all fluids some days I dont. Since I started working the stomach more I dont seem to get it all. I cant hardly eat either though. My stomach just wont hold much at all. If I get 2 - 8 oz Protein shakes in I do good to get one small meal down me. If I drink all I should I probably wouldnt get but about 2 or 3 bites food all day. I do see surgeon this week for a check up/ follow up

Good morning, I had my surgery on Tuesday Feb 5th so I am 4 days post op....1st thing 1st your Protein Shakes do count towards your Fluid intake. My Dr and nurse both told me inorder for anyone to prevent dehydrating you'll need at least 32-48 oz a day so if your meeting that your ok. I am experiencing some of the same symptoms as you are and it doesn't matter how much food or liquid I take in within an hour I am deathly hungry. I ate a 4oz applesauce yesterday and woke up 2 hours later starved! I drink my Protein shakes and a hr later I'm famished. I advanced myself to a 4 oz bowl of multi grain cheerios with skim milk plus and a hr later I'm starving all over again.

No it is not easy. After surgery Dr made me get between 40-64 oz didnt matter if it was broth, Water or Powerade. He wouldnt release me until I did get at least 40 oz Fluid. Some days I get all fluids some days I dont. Since I started working the stomach more I dont seem to get it all. I cant hardly eat either though. My stomach just wont hold much at all. If I get 2 - 8 oz Protein Shakes in I do good to get one small meal down me. If I drink all I should I probably wouldnt get but about 2 or 3 bites food all day. I do see surgeon this week for a check up/ follow up

At 4 months out liquids should not be filling your stomach, the liquid should leak through your pyloric sphincter into your intestines allowing the area of your stomach for solid foods. It definitely sounds like something is wrong and you need to contact your Dr. about this, you may have a stricture or something. Good Luck.

Good morning Richard, I am only 4 days post op not 4 months and before surgery I would eat myself full and be able to sleep completely through the night but now it's like I'm in hell. I actually go to my first post op on Monday so hopefully we'll be able to coke up with a solution. Thanks for your input and well wishes and much success to you also

Good morning Richard' date=' I am only 4 days post op not 4 months and before surgery I would eat myself full and be able to sleep completely through the night but now it's like I'm in hell. I actually go to my first post op on Monday so hopefully we'll be able to coke up with a solution. Thanks for your input and well wishes and much success to you also[/quote']

The 4 months post op statement was for the original poster. At 4 days post op you still have swelling in your stomach and esophagus which prevents you from being able to get enough fluids in. My best suggestion to you is to try drinking Warner liquid because the warmth will help decrease the swelling which will make you more able to get enough fluids in. Good luck.

I count Protein Shakes as Fluid, especially in the beginning. Now that I'm 4 months post op I carry around my water bottle which holds 28 oz of fluid and I make sure to drink 2 of those a day (equaling 56 oz of fluid). I also drink 1 to 2 Protein shakes a day and mix them with milk. I also drink Water during the night also. We've always been told to count our protein shakes toward fluids. I get in about 100oz a day.

Good morning, I had my surgery on Tuesday Feb 5th so I am 4 days post op....1st thing 1st your Protein Shakes do count towards your Fluid intake. My Dr and nurse both told me inorder for anyone to prevent dehydrating you'll need at least 32-48 oz a day so if your meeting that your ok. I am experiencing some of the same symptoms as you are and it doesn't matter how much food or liquid I take in within an hour I am deathly hungry. I ate a 4oz applesauce yesterday and woke up 2 hours later starved! I drink my Protein shakes and a hr later I'm famished. I advanced myself to a 4 oz bowl of multi grain cheerios with skim milk plus and a hr later I'm starving all over again.

I cant hardly eat the food either though. Yours sounds like acid reflux. If I dont take my reflux med I could eat more.I make sure I take my med for acid reflux though. Since I do Water aerobics and more stomach exercises I cant eat or drink hardly. I do get the at least the amount in fluids in that you are saying they just aint all water it is also protein shakes.

At 4 months out liquids should not be filling your stomach, the liquid should leak through your pyloric sphincter into your intestines allowing the area of your stomach for solid foods. It definitely sounds like something is wrong and you need to contact your Dr. about this, you may have a stricture or something. Good Luck.

It just really got bad since I started exercising the stomach muscles. I see my Dr Thursday for check up

My dr and nut say count half of the Protein Shakes as liquid. I like that compromise. So a 12 ounce shake counts 6 ounces towards Fluid goal.