Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone told NOT to do situps and crunches?

Went to a support group meeting for all types of WLS last night at a local hospital. It is not the hospital where I had surgery. The patients in this support group were told not to do sit ups and crunches (even after 6 weeks post op)? I need feedback. I assumed that it would be okay to resume those activities when I was ready.

Some docs want patients about 8 weeks or so out before stressing abdominal muscles like that. Totally depends on the doctor. What did your doctor say?

I didn't specifically ask my doctor about situps and crunches. But at this group, it was a life-long ban...not just 8 weeks. Weird, huh?

life long ban is the first time I have ever heard of that.

Hmmmm, I've never heard that... At 2 weeks I was cleared for ALL exercise... Doc said my body will let me know what it can an cannot handle and that from that point on it would be trial and error...

I can't even imagine working out in 2weeks walking is enough for now.. I would wait the 8weeks to be safe...

I am over a year out and just the other day did my first full body push up. Before it was too painful, I only did off the knees push ups. If I sense that there is too much strain on my abdomen muscles I don't push it. The risk of hernia is far more important than an exercise. Many folks who work out don't do ab stuff at all thinking it is covered by other exercises like push ups, knee bends, walking, running, etc. I don't do laying down crunches or sit-ups but use my abs when working out with the kettlebell.

Ab exercises will make your six-pack look a bit better if you have a thin layer of skin over your gut. I am a long distance from having a thin layer of skin there, I may never have one. Working and building the large muscles in your legs, back, and chest is what takes the fat off.

I was under the general impression that I, too, was supposed to "listen" to my body about how much to do. That's why I was shocked when I heard all these people saying it.

I attended a group support meeting a few months ago and we were also told NOT to be doing sit ups. I can't remember exactly why but i'm not soing to question my doctors directive. My doctor's P.A. is also a certified fitness trainer and she told us NEVER to do them again so they'll never be a part of my routine. It can cause damage to the tummy but I can't remember exactly what. Why take a chance after everything you have done to get to wherever you are in your journey. There are plenty of other exercises you can focus on. Good luck to everyone! Keep the great work up but i recommend leaving the sit ups out of your routine. Better safe than sorry.

I was under the general impression that I, too, was supposed to "listen" to my body about how much to do. That's why I was shocked when I heard all these people saying it.

My doc and nurse gave the impression that after a couple months exercise was ok. They did not specify which exercises. Like you said, listening to the body is a good skill to have. We are learning it as we live with the sleeve and it's "messages" to us.

I already had it in my mind that I had a lot of time to get into shape: the rest of my life. I wasn't about to put a huge delay on and go through a great deal of pain because i pushed my old abs too far, too fast.

You know, now I'm curious.

If I understand this operation correctly, the stomach muscles were not really cut., or were they? Maybe cut at belly button area to insert the scissors/stapler and at some points to insert the gas and camera thingy? Where are the main places that exercise could cause trouble after a laparoscopic surgery?

You know' date=' now I'm curious.

If I understand this operation correctly, the stomach muscles were not really cut., or were they? Maybe cut at belly button area to insert the scissors/stapler and at some points to insert the gas and camera thingy? Where are the main places that exercise could cause trouble after a laparoscopic surgery?[/quote']

re; curious - See. This is what I mean. The forum can be helpful, but it can make you crazy when the information is conflicting. I won't see my doctor again until the 3-mos. mark, so I guess I won't do anything too crazy with my middle until then.

Traditional sit ups are old-school and not really good for anyone to do. I don't see why we couldn't do crunches. Not doing any ab work ever? Doesn't make sense.

-Kendra

I'm not sure why on Earth they would be banned for WLS paitents, but from a fitness point of view, they are about the biggest waste of time you can do in the gym. If you want to work your core (and we all should) there are so many better ways to do it. As Gmanbat stated, kettleball work is great for this. Also, hanging knee raises are very effective for the whole abdominal wall, planks (both facing down and either side) are great for the posterior chain and obliques. These exercises work the core as it was meant to be worked...as a unit. Crunches are the wrist curls of core workout exercises. They are an isolation exercise at best, barely working half your abdominals. And as previously stated, the muscles they work are going to be the last muscles any of us every see.

I'm not sure why on Earth they would be banned for WLS paitents, but from a fitness point of view, they are about the biggest waste of time you can do in the gym. If you want to work your core (and we all should) there are so many better ways to do it. As Gmanbat stated, kettleball work is great for this. Also, hanging knee raises are very effective for the whole abdominal wall, planks (both facing down and either side) are great for the posterior chain and obliques. These exercises work the core as it was meant to be worked...as a unit. Crunches are the wrist curls of core workout exercises. They are an isolation exercise at best, barely working half your abdominals. And as previously stated, the muscles they work are going to be the last muscles any of us every see.

not to mention most people do them incorrectly and just end up with sore necks