Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting opinions...

So, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Maybe tell me what you would do.

Would you go to a Dr. that has a good reputation, good on price, but doesn't work in a hospital, and you don't really know what kind of service you would get from the coordinators because you have read mixed reviews (not that they are doing your surgery, but they do effect your experience)

Or would you...

Go to a Dr. With a impeccable reputation, stay in a hospital, but pay double what you would have with the other Dr. This dr has been doing the surgery for many more years so you feel a bit more at ease with him.

So, would you go with the one Dr. Who is half the cost? Chances are things may go all smooth and you would save like 4 grand! Or, would you go with the pricier Dr. But with a Doc that's done it longer and in a hospital.

Me personally...the cheaper one. But, even though I would do it, I probably wouldn't recommend someone else to do it haha. I'd do what makes you feel comfortable.

Can you ask the low cost doctor if you can talk to some of his patients? If they've had a good experience, a few should want to recommend him. I know that I'd be happy to tell people about the great experience I had.

If you can't get them, then I'd have to go with the pricier doctor. After all, this can turn into a life and death situation.

I don't make a lot of money at all. I'm a single mother, and I don't even have the money right now to have the surgery with the cheaper doctor!! Lol so going with the cheaper one would help me financially for sure. BUT I do have a 3 year old that needs his mommy and I don't want to make the wrong decision.

What type of setting is the other doctor doing surgery in if not a hospital?

Is it an OR with access to blood and anything else that may be required if the surgery leads to blood loss?

I used a "cheaper" dr that was in a clinic not an actual hospital, I felt confident because I had researched the dr and the clinic. That would be my suggestion, ask about the specific drs and clinics and you will get much feed back.

Good luck!

I'm not sure which doctors you're choosing between, but I just wanted to say that I spent only $4500 for my surgery and I had it done at a hospital in TJ, so it is possible to have it inexpensive AND in a hospital.

Me personally...the cheaper one. But' date=' even though I would do it, I probably wouldn't recommend someone else to do it haha. I'd do what makes you feel comfortable.[/quote']

I totally feel the same way!!! I too am thinking about the same thing. I am leaning towards the $4500-$4700 doctor who has great reviews and a full service hospital. Seems everyone is doing really well. I would not go to the clinic one even though I see good reviews on YouTube. You should go with what your comfortable with. There is a lot of good advice on here.

I personally just went through this while choosing who I wanted to do mine and although I wanted to go with the cheaper dr. I didn't. I chose the more expensive one and I feel good about it now. I'm scheduled for the first week of April.

I was told that the Mi Doctor Hospital is actually a clinic. Not an actual hospital. One of the coordinators said that the word hospital is used loosely down there. I'm sure Mi Doctor is perfectly fine, but I've thought for the longest time it was an actual hospital.

So, I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. Maybe tell me what you would do.

Would you go to a Dr. that has a good reputation, good on price, but doesn't work in a hospital, and you don't really know what kind of service you would get from the coordinators because you have read mixed reviews (not that they are doing your surgery, but they do effect your experience)

Or would you...

Go to a Dr. With a impeccable reputation, stay in a hospital, but pay double what you would have with the other Dr. This dr has been doing the surgery for many more years so you feel a bit more at ease with him.

So, would you go with the one Dr. Who is half the cost? Chances are things may go all smooth and you would save like 4 grand! Or, would you go with the pricier Dr. But with a Doc that's done it longer and in a hospital.

Honestly, I'd probably go with the less pricy option. I have issues (and I doubt my boyfriend would be on board) with a clinic, so I looked specifically for an affordable option that still included a hospital. But if it came down to TWO options and I trusted both and the only differences were hosptial vs clinic and cost, I'd probably have to have cost outweigh hospital. I'd do a ton of research first, though.

I've seen so many doctors reviewed here...I started with a list of pros and cons of each doctor, then narrowed it down by cost, including airfare.

At the end of the day, YOU have to feel good about your decision.

I am 7 days post op from having a revision at mi doctor, I was impressed and completely felt they could take care of me. I chose the dr I felt most comfortable with and that's just where he happen to practice. Do your homework and go with your gut, that's the best way!

Jana, sleeved 1/31/13

I like the idea that Mi doctors hospital had ICU in case something were to happen.

I was told that the Mi Doctor Hospital is actually a clinic. Not an actual hospital. One of the coordinators said that the word hospital is used loosely down there. I'm sure Mi Doctor is perfectly fine, but I've thought for the longest time it was an actual hospital.

I think the definition can depend on who you're talking to, as well. Although it's a small facility, it meets all of MY expecations of a hospital...an ICU, a radiology department on-site, 2 operating rooms, and sees a lot of bariatric patients. What I didn't want was to be in a clinic as I'd heard described by others as one large, single room for recovery and having to travel to another location for a leak test. Although there's nothing wrong with that, either, if that works for you personally. I just wanted something a little different.

I envision it as something close to a surgery center, only with patient rooms. I'm fine with that.

I think it depends on what, exactly, your priorities are in selecting both a surgeon and facility. I could pay an extra fee for my surgeon to operation at another facility, more in keeping of the traditional definition of a hospital, but I decided I wasn't looking for anything other than what MI Doctor offered. I know there are threads that discuss this facility specifically, but maybe we will see others who've been to the facility chime in?

~Kat

Here's a press release I found regarding the opening of MI Doctor. Obviously, it was a press release that isn't entirely objective, but it's informative in that it will give you an idea of the services available in the hospital. Also, embedded on the webpage is a small virtual tour of the facility.

http://www.free-press-release.com/news-affordable-surgeries-now-at-hospital-mi-doctor-in-tijuana-mexico-1352269441.html