Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What am I doing wrong? Is 8-10 oz normal?

Hello,

I really need opinions of fellow slevers because when I talk to friends they just don't understand what I a going through.

I am 3 months out of surgery and I am starting to feel discouraged. I think one of my main issues lack of exersise but I don't know.

Here is the deal for the past month I have been loosing a average of 1.5 lbs a week. When i see all these post of where people are at after 3 months I feel like I could be doing more. I'm discouraged and I need a kick in the butt! :o

MY Diet: I have been staying on the low carb thing I know I get enough Protein because geesh that seems to be all I eat that and veggies. I get a fruit in here and there and when I eat carbs I make it a very small amount. BUT I seem to be able to eat more now than ever and it scares me. I usaully can eat 8 oz every sitting and sometimes more. I really am not exactly sure how many oz I follow the plate diagram that my doctor gave me.

I am afraid I have stretched my stomach I don't get that pain when I am full anymore...IDK? :(

I know one issue I still seem to have is I still eat too fast...I know what I need to do but I still catch myself doing it!UGH! I guess 32 years of it is hard to break.

Another thing I know I need to do is drink more Water between meals and I have been doing that the past 2 weeks.

MY exercise: I have been walking a mile 2 times a week and areobics 1-2 times a week. (I know this is my issue)

ONE MORE THING FOR YOU LADIES: I have been having my period every 2 weeks it is really light but geesh! This didn't start until after surgery the doc says it's from loosing weight but man it discourages me from exercise!

PLEASE give me some insight I feel like a failure!!!!!!!!!!!!! :unsure:

dietDinnerwarePackageFront.jpgI

This may help with not eating so fast. Also, use small plates, bowls or :rolleyes: ramekins work well.

Kate, first things first, you're doing great!! You're a little over 2 months out, not 3 months, so don't beat yourself up. Personally, I cannot eat 8 ounces at a time, but we all are different, different bougie sizes etc. Have you talked to your NUT about it? I try to only eat to where I am mildly full. I know I eat too fast so if I eat until I am only slightly full, I know the FULL feeling will catch up with me! Another thing I have done recently is make myself drink at least one Protein Drink i the morning. It seems to help me not eat as much later in the day. I have read a lot about eating your biggest meals earlier, so to try to keep on track with that I drink a Protein Shake in the morning, try to have my biggest meal be lunch which I eat around 11:30-12:00, and then I try to have a decent size Protein only snack around 3 before I eat dinner around 5. If I am still hungry later, I will have a protein snack (like chicken) around 7, and I try not to eat anything after that. I just had a 3 week stall myself, and finally managed to break through. I have really been ramping up my liquid intake and trying to be extra mindful to keep the protein up and carbs down. You're doing great, keep it up!!

First of all, there's nothing wrong with 1.5 lbs/week. That's 6 lbs a month. Some months will be slower than others. Also, everyone is different. I'm not sure why you are expecting to lose the same as "everyone else". Some people are losing less than you, some more. As with anything in life, there is no textbook for you to follow. Be glad you're losing.

Second thing, seems like maybe you answered your own question- you admitted you aren't exercising as much as you would like or getting your fluids in. These are both very important to fat loss.

Third thing, you have not stretched your sleeve. You can't stretch your sleeve. It would rupture before it would stretch. People who gain weight with sleeve surgery are making bad food choices along with being sedentary. That doesn't sound like you.

I know I sound blunt, but honestly, sounds like you are doing a good job. I also really struggle with eating too fast.

-Kendra

I have this concern as well! I am almost 4 months out and feel like I can eat too much compared to what I used to be able to eat. For example, I used to be able to only eat half a chicken breast, but now I can eat a full one and a small side of veggies. It worries me because I don't want to fall back into old, overeating habits. I still stay under my calorie limit and carbs and eat well, I can just eat more. I am going to try weighing and measuring my food more consistently and try to put all of my food into My Fitness Pal on a regular basis to hold me accountable.

Well, first of all your capacity for food is going to increase but that doesn't mean you should eat more. You do not need to eat until you are full or in pain. I have a large capacity too....which means I use an accurate scale and weigh my food to the proper serving size, eat that and no more. Surprisingly, while not usually full, I realize I'm also not hungry afterwards. It sounds like you are using the "eyeball" method of food measuring. I doubt any of us are very good at that or we wouldn't be here. After using a good food scale for a few months you will get good at eyeballing it...but since you do have a larger capacity your best bet is to continue to use the scale indefinitely, at least some of the time. I'm 9 months out and I still use mine everyday. Some foods I make often enough I don't need to weigh anymore....but I still do occasionally to make sure I haven't slowly increased my amounts. Our perception of what we are eating rarely matches with reality...especially in those of us who needed WLS.

Don't rely on your feelings of fullness to tell you when to stop eating. For some of us, that is part of the reason we are here...definitely for me. I must have killed mine eating all those pizzas in my former life.

Butterthebean, I couldn't agree more about the scale. I'm almost two years out and I still use mine daily. It's a trick I learned from Weight Watchers. It's easy to misjudge amounts even with a measuring cup (1/2 cup packed ice cream vs. 1/2 cup spooned ice cream for example).

Also, I have had to rely on good eating habits, not just restriction, to get to goal and keep my weight stable My capacity has increased and especially my capacity for foods that are calorie-laden, such as a few of my favs: buttered popcorn, potato chips, cake, and Cookies. I can't rely on restriction to limit these foods. I have to choose when I eat them and how much I will have. I also avoid calorie-laden drinks.

Not that I'm saying restriction is not helping me. Pre-op, I had to eat a much larger meal to get full. Now I am full after 2-3 oz. of solid Protein, less than 1 cup of vegetables and 1/3 cup of starch.

Lynda

Thank you all for your advice this really helps. I think I'm going to go out and get a scale this week. I have been doing a lot better with my Water intake. This past week I was sick and I only worked out once! Luckily I still lost 2 lbs but probably because I was sick. I got to get back on the sadle with working out because I really don't want a bunch of extra skin!

Again thanks!