Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any nurses out there that have had VSG?

Hi, I'm new here, and planning on having the sleeve done in April. I'm a nurse on a telemetry floor and worried about when I'll be able to go back to work. My surgeon said I could go back in 2 weeks, but because my job is somewhat physical, lifting patients, pulling them up in bed, taking them to the bathroom, not to mention being on my feet for 12 hours straight, I'm afraid I won't be ready. Can anyone who has had the surgery give me some insight into what I should expect and when you were ready to go back? Thanks so much!

Hi I am a physical therapist and I had similar concerns. I am post op 7 months now and back to normal however initially I took 7 weeks off from work. Honesty it hurt my new stomach to lift heavy patients or use my core. Also I would get very tired very easily. This is my experience. Hope u will feel better sooner.

That's what I was thinking! Couldn't believe I'd be ready to go back so soon! Thanks for your comment!

Hi I am also a nurse. I work in a psych ward. My Dr. Told me I will be ready to go back to work on two weeks and I told him I need 5 weeks. I wanted to make sure I go back on my terms and completely healed. If you have the time and additional insurance take your time it will be worthwhile . I rested we'll unfortunately I am going back tomorrow :(

I'm an ICU and ER nurse. I was sleeved on a Thursday and returned to work the next Thursday. Had to have a little extra help with the turning/lifting than I usually would but other than that I had no problems. I recovered on iv toradol my 2 days in the hospital and took the SL toradol every once in awhile the first cpl weeks. Had no problems and the worst part to me was the itching when the incisions were healing. Obviously you should go with your gut feeling but just wanted to share my recovery with you for some insight. I had no problems with the 12 hrs and frequently walking/bending/getting up/etc but all my coworkers knew I was having surgery and were very supportive and great help with pulling a little more weight (literally) for me while I recovered.

Hi I'm a Nurse in the uk and I had my surgery 2 weeks ago, 23rd Jan 2013. I was advised by my surgeon that due to my job I would need 6 weeks off, I've had quite a lot of pain since the operation, the usual shoulder pain but then I've experienced a pain in my left side, I was told this was due to the internal stitches. I am quite certain that at this point I would be unable to do my job, I still have problems when I bend down to pick something up off the floor, never lnd bending to apply teds or manual handling.

Hi, I'm a nurse with a desk job, and I went back in about 4 weeks. I was too fatigued to go back sooner. If I was a floor nurse, I would have needed 6 weeks. This is a major surgery, and I find it kind of astounding that most docs send people back in 2 weeks!

Hello, I'm a nurse on a cardiac ICU, I also had similar concerns. I returned 6 weeks after, you won't be ready in 2 weeks to lift, your belly and muscles around it have to heal. Believe it or not I had more energy when I returned to work then I did before surgery. Defiantly take time to heal. Your health is worth it!

Hi' date=' I'm new here, and planning on having the sleeve done in April. I'm a nurse on a telemetry floor and worried about when I'll be able to go back to work. My surgeon said I could go back in 2 weeks, but because my job is somewhat physical, lifting patients, pulling them up in bed, taking them to the bathroom, not to mention being on my feet for 12 hours straight, I'm afraid I won't be ready. Can anyone who has had the surgery give me some insight into what I should expect and when you were ready to go back? Thanks so much![/quote']

Thats crazy! Im a peds nurse n my dr MADE me take off 6 wks r/t risk of job duties n we dont even have heavy pts... lol... i ended up with a triple surgery (vsg, hernia & gall bladder) ... i probably couldve survived @3 wks but im deff thankful i had 6 wks to recoop... its just not worth the risk... good luck!

Thank you everyone for the replies! I am definitely going to ask my doctor if I can have more recovery time. Thanks again!

I think drs say 2 Weeks as a minimum,thinking people want to return to work asap. Afraid they will lose their job or something. Did he akso tell you that even though you can rwturn after 2 Weeks, you have a 15 lb lifting restriction for a month after surgery? So nothing heavier than a gallon of milk. My job will not let you return with any restrictions period. So if you can take the time do so