Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello fellow sleevers!

I was sleeved 12/17 and have just this past week started ot have issues with constant heartburn/refux (at least this is what I am guessing it is, so many new sensations since surgery!) and nausea when eating or drinking. I have followed up with my nurse and doc on this and it if doesn't resolve they will do a scope.

So, my question is in regards to changing eating habits. I have done well with smaller portions, smaller bites, chewing well, etc. I do really struggle with slowing down. I have slowed down a lot, but would love to hear how you all have adjusted with this, what are some tricks you do, etc? I live alone, so I am only fixing meals for myself. Nurse says 1/4 cup of food should easily take me 20 minutes to eat. I can easily eat it in less than 5. How in the world do you essentially eat 6-8 bites of food in 20 min? I can use any advice because I think that is part of what is causing my issues. I am on full foods now.

Thanks in advance!

Blewy

I am only 5 days out, but I use a stopwatch app on my phone... 2 min between bites (or sips)... So far it seems to help me from getting too sick

Watching this one, because I have the same problem. I was sleeved on 12/10 and now that I'm eating "normally" again, it's a huge struggle. I typically eat Breakfast and lunch while working, so getting sidetracked with work helps slow me down. But dinner kills me. I just can't get myself to chew that many times and then sit for so long between bites. It's really been my only struggle with this surgery!

First let me congratulation you.... You have done awesome with your weight loss kudos! OK now on to slowing down. I literally take a bite and wait for several minutes before taking another one.... it takes time to get used to. Best Wishes

Yes, suggestions, please! I hate the thought of having to chew a tiny bite of something 20 times. Who has time for that? I'm really impatient. Gotta work on that. I eat too fast and then I sit there willing it to stay down, So far it has, but who knows when my luck will run out!

-Kendra

Here's the secret to eating slower - Bloons Tower Defense.

This game will get you so obsessed you will forget to eat! Take 2 bites, play a round, take 2 bites play a round, take 2 bites play a round, then try to figure out why you can't beat this level, try a new tactic - THAT didn't work.

Okay, try a different weapon and placements, OH GREAT!!!!!!!!!! Now there's a new bloon that I wasn't ready for - it's camoed and armored.

And don't get me started on the MOABs. Just what I needed - a blimp filled with bloons.

Damn game, it doesn't have a God mode - so I can't cheat! GREAT! Now my food is cold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://ninjakiwi.com...-Defense-5.html

This is a great thread. I am also having difficulty with eating too fast. I will use your ideas and see if it will help.

Jenn

My "peoples" suggested using baby spoons. Set it down between each bite.

Are you using baby cutlery? If you use the same spoon for your yogurt that a baby uses to eat pablum you'll be surprised at how small the bite is and how soon that amount seems enough to you. I also got baby forks. Makes a big difference.

Thanks everyone, looking foward to watching the thread go on. The baby utensils have been suggested in our program. I am ok with taking little bites, and even do pretty good on chewing food until it is sludge, it's just the speed. Maybe I need to load some new Facebook games and try as mentioned above! Of course, then the multiple trips to the microwave to keep warming up the food will add some times between bites as well :) :)

Thanks everyone, please keep up the suggestions!

I am only 5 days out' date=' but I use a stopwatch app on my phone... 2 min between bites (or sips)... So far it seems to help me from getting too sick[/quote']

Oooo i like that idea!:)

Thanks everyone' date=' looking foward to watching the thread go on. The baby utensils have been suggested in our program. I am ok with taking little bites, and even do pretty good on chewing food until it is sludge, it's just the speed. Maybe I need to load some new Facebook games and try as mentioned above! Of course, then the multiple trips to the microwave to keep warming up the food will add some times between bites as well :) :)

Thanks everyone, please keep up the suggestions![/quote']

Try chop sticks change hands not sure get a psp ive got my wife watching my every mouth full driving me nuts just trying to get used to the lifestyle change still not sure im doing everything right .just dont want to mess this up good luck stay positive and plan your meals days ahead sure I dont need to tell you ..sorry if anything im typeing sounds condisending its not Intended to sound like that im just sitting on my couch farting out my thoughts

Thanks for the tips! At 4 months I'm still struggling with eating dinner too fast. Breakfast and lunch I'm fine, but when I eat dinner, even using baby spoon/forks, if it's not mushy, I feel the food get stuck, start belching up a storm, and try hard not to be sick. A timer app sounds like the perfect solution!