Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stomach bug and soda

Am almost 2 mths out and down with the stomach bug. Wondering if I can have a small bit of regular coke to calm my belly. It is the only thing that ever stays down when I am sick. Not eating anything else so not really worried about the calories. Anything artificially sweetened wont stay down. This won't make my sleeve blow up or anything will it!?!? Lol

Likely the carbonation will make your tummy feel worse.... :( perhaps some warm tea?

Sorry your not feeling well,

Laura

I was told by my nutritionist to stay away from carbonated beverages, but if you must drink them, to have them go flat first. The carbonation is a problem with the gastric sleeve. The gas causes your stomach to stretch like a balloon, and I understand it can be very uncomfortable and even painful. Hope this helps.

If you must have something carbonated (generally not recommended), try some club soda to avoid the other additives that are in diet sodas. Do discuss this with your surgeon as carbonation is not a good idea while healing from Sleeve surgery.

Thanks everyone. I think I'll let a tiny bit go flat an try that. I can't stomach any kind of diet anything so since I'm not consuming any calories I'm sure 50 or so empty soda calories aren't going to ruin my eating.

Am almost 2 mths out and down with the stomach bug. Wondering if I can have a small bit of regular coke to calm my belly. It is the only thing that ever stays down when I am sick. Not eating anything else so not really worried about the calories. Anything artificially sweetened wont stay down. This won't make my sleeve blow up or anything will it!?!? Lol

Go to the pharmacy and buy cola Syrup.< /p>

What's cola Syrup? ?

Cola syrup is the thick liquid they add to carbonated Water to make it soda. Basically it's everything that is soda (flavoring, coloring, any extras) except for the Water and carbonation part.

Go to the pharmacy and buy cola Syrup.< /p>

What do you do with the cola syrup? Do you mix it with something? Do they make Diet Vernors syrup? :D

What do you do with the cola Syrup? Do you mix it with something? Do they make Diet Vernors syrup? :D

I don't know if they still sell just syrup or not, old school pharmacy that had an ice cream counter use to use the stuff but that was late 1800's- early 1900's I don't know if it's still sold like that or not..... Most company's have systems that u get the syrup in bulk, hook it to a machine ( like at a mc Donald's or something) and it automatically mixes it for you....

Cola Syrup is the thick liquid they add to carbonated Water to make it soda. Basically it's everything that is soda (flavoring' date=' coloring, any extras) except for the Water and carbonation part.[/quote']

Yuck!!!! just thinking about that makes me queasy

0_o

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't it the bubbles in carbonated Water that helps with settling the stomach flu? At least that is what I have read in the past. It would seem, according to my understanding, that a flat drink would be not be productive.

green ginger tea works really well. no bubbles no sugar very soothing to the gut.

Peppermint tea was a godsend when I had the flu bug. It REALLY helped!!!