Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tell me everything

Tomorrow 8 am is my surgery and I'm sooooo scared. In my mind I keep thinking that in going to the hospital for a surgery coz something's wrong with me so it's freaking me out even more. I'm the kind who likes to know details so I'm prepared. So anyone out there... Please tell me what happens before and right after you wake up from anaesthesia.

I'm so scared!!!!

I had mine with robotic assist. They took me back to prep pretty early, got me changed in to the gown, made me cozy, let me watch TV and whatnot (warm hospital blankets!). They set me up with two IVs since it's needed with robotic assist as backup. They gave me a nice little nerve calming shot at some point and I just really relaxed. Got wheeled back at surgery time and by the time they had me count down, I was completely out.

Woke up feeling not so great and honestly my first thought was that I had been REALLY happy as a fat person and I began to question my sanity because I had just paid someone a lot of money to REMOVE MY STOMACH, especially when I was being prodded to be up, awake, and aware. I make a lousy patient, I think :D I don't really remember much of my hospital stay, mostly just waking up, walking, and going back to sleep. I had traditional pain meds rather than a medicine ball/pain pump and I think that contributed to my not so great experience.

Things got much better in the week following surgery, though. The first few days are definitely the worst, but it improves quickly!

Honestly, I woke up & felt fine! Thought they'd changed their minds & not done the surgery! I needed no pain med, I did take some anti nausea med just because I was so afraid I'd throw up! But I didn't! I got up and walked without any trouble & was super glad to come home the next day!

I went to Mexico, was neat experience. I don't remember a thing after they slid me onto that guerny to go to surgery, was fast tho, went back about 9:30 and was back in room by 11:30. Minor pain, mine was like I had done lots of sit ups and was sore. Little nausea the first day but took the nausea med, no prob. I took pain med routinely the first 48 hours after my iv was removed just to make sure I didn't hurt, then tapered off it. I'm now 4 weeks out and I feel great, tiny bit of soreness around larger incision sites like only when I bend over or wear something tight.

Hey, DON'T BE SCARED........... This is a new journey for you. Just focus on staying with the diet as they tell you and you shouldn't have any complications. Best of luck to you!!!

I didn't get put out til I wax in the surgery room. I remember telling them NOT TO KILL ME!!!! LOL and when I woke up I was screaming IM HAVING A HEART ATTACK!!!! call me dramatic I'll take it. You'll be fine just remember to walk as soon as u can! Good luck. Ill say a prayer for u

I didn't get put out til I wax in the surgery room. I remember telling them NOT TO KILL ME!!!! LOL and when I woke up I was screaming IM HAVING A HEART ATTACK!!!! call me dramatic I'll take it. You'll be fine just remember to walk as soon as u can! Good luck. Ill say a prayer for u

Way to get their attention laneyBee31! lol

I arrived at my clinic at 7 am they took my vitals and had me change into a night gown and robe they supplied me . the Dr came and asked me if I had any questions and breifly went back over everything , the anestheiologist did the same. the wheeled me back into the room hooked me up to some moniters gave me something to relax and I fell asleep the next thing I remember is I was awake 1/12 hrs later and feeling absolutely great thought they didnt do surgery or something because I felt really good , tried to get up and tehy said I had to wait before getting up. The Dr came in said all went good, I got up and walked ... the only side effect I had was I couldnt use the bathroom after surgery due to the medicine they gave me so they pumped me up with lots of Fluid till I felt like i was gonna bust and the meds also made me have insomnia so bring something to do just in case you get that. ......... i walked all night long on and off ............

Everything will be great !!!! let us know how you do

Hey there. Was sleeved 12/10/12. Overall had a good experience.

Checked into the hospital at 10am for a noon surgery. Got prepped, pregnancy test, rinsed mouth with listerine. Came back to room and put on a weird paper gown that hooked up to warming blowers. Of course surgeon was a little behind so things didn't start rolling until almost 1. Prep nurse started iv and I waited for the Dr to come in. Once he stopped in things flew. Anesthesiologist stopped in to ask me questions and go over my chart. Then the OR nurse came in and also went over my chart. She then gave me a med that dries you out. Also gave me a Teddy Bear that she laid between my feet, then gave me another med to calm me down. I was awake going into the OR and remember everyone getting things I the room ready. The anesthesiologist then asked if I was ready and I woke up in recovery.

I woke up very nauseous and was dry heaving a bit. So i got a couple anitnausea meds to help. Something a girl I know pointed out to me recently. She asked me if I woke up in the same gown that I went into surgery with and I started laughing and said no. I then had a little complex that I was laying there naked ;-). Not sure if this helps you at all....

Good luck tomorrow!

Hey there. Was sleeved 12/10/12. Overall had a good experience.

Checked into the hospital at 10am for a noon surgery. Got prepped' date=' pregnancy test, rinsed mouth with listerine. Came back to room and put on a weird paper gown that hooked up to warming blowers. Of course surgeon was a little behind so things didn't start rolling until almost 1. Prep nurse started iv and I waited for the Dr to come in. Once he stopped in things flew. Anesthesiologist stopped in to ask me questions and go over my chart. Then the OR nurse came in and also went over my chart. She then gave me a med that dries you out. Also gave me a Teddy Bear that she laid between my feet, then gave me another med to calm me down. I was awake going into the OR and remember everyone getting things I the room ready. The anesthesiologist then asked if I was ready and I woke up in recovery.

I woke up very nauseous and was dry heaving a bit. So i got a couple anitnausea meds to help. Something a girl I know pointed out to me recently. She asked me if I woke up in the same gown that I went into surgery with and I started laughing and said no. I then had a little complex that I was laying there naked ;-). Not sure if this helps you at all....

Good luck tomorrow![/quote']

Omg that's hilarious! I thought the same thing. Here I just had major surgery and I'm worried that they saw me naked! Lol!

My surgery went the same way as shrinkydinkme22 minus the nausea. I felt like I had gotten kicked In the stomach by a horse! Just really sore but honestly nothing I could t handle. I do remember right as I got in the recovery room them asking me what my pain level was and them giving me something right away. I think I only received pain medicine one more time after that and then I felt fine. A little sore like I had done sit-ups, no biggie. I had fun getting all ready etc. I had never had any surgery prior so I was all curious and excited. Not nervous at all. My dr and anesthesiologist are awesome! You'll do great!

Oh and the weirdest thing. I had to pee so bad when I got to my room. Seriously felt like I was going to pee my pants. Finally got up into the bathroom and it was so hard to go. I was told it's from that drying out med. Makes all Fluid producing membranes go to sleep so they said my bladder didn't want to empty even though I had to go. It was such a weird feeling.

#The Gamer Im laughing so hard at your post because I am about 2 weeks pre-op and so curious as to how this is all going to play out and am I really prepared for what I am getting my self into and am I really ready to break up with my most disfunctional boyfriend (food) LOL and I am almost positve that your expierience will be pretty much like mine, I am not a good patient either. I am not good with pain or starving for that matter, never been a big fan of being nauseaus or throwing up for extended periods of time or one time, But having said that, I feel better about it having read your post.. Thank You.

Thank you all so much for your responses.

Funny thing is Everytime I read positive stuff here; I'm all set but other times in a nervous wreck. I can't seem to remember anything lately because my mind is so filled with the surgery thoughts. Mine's tomorrow at 8am and I hope all goes fine. I'm very scared. I have 2 small kids and don't want any complications.

I'm very very scared

Thank you all so much for your responses.

Funny thing is Everytime I read positive stuff here; I'm all set but other times in a nervous wreck. I can't seem to remember anything lately because my mind is so filled with the surgery thoughts. Mine's tomorrow at 8am and I hope all goes fine. I'm very scared. I have 2 small kids and don't want any complications.

I'm very very scared

More often than not things go pretty smoothly! Try not to be scared! My thoughts are with you this morning! Good luck!! :)