Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New and trying to decide

Hi! After lurking for the past few weeks, I wanted to introduce myself. I went to an informational session recent and have my first meeting with my surgeon February 6th. I have been overweight since high school. I'm a wheelchair user which likely is partly the reason (limited exercise). I don't actually even know what I weigh because my PCP has never been able to weigh me! They will weigh me during my first appointment. Trying to decide between the sleeve and bypass. I'd love to know why people chose the sleeve. Looking forward to getting to know you all on this journey!

i chose the sleeve due to less complications. i almost opted for the lap-band but didn't because i didn't want to deal with the adjustments, etc that come along with it. i think it really depends on how much weight you need to lose. i felt i could lose 100 lbs with the sleeve. if i had more to lose than that, i probably would have opted for bypass. good luck!

Hi! After lurking for the past few weeks' date=' I wanted to introduce myself. I went to an informational session recent and have my first meeting with my surgeon February 6th. I have been overweight since high school. I'm a wheelchair user which likely is partly the reason (limited exercise). I don't actually even know what I weigh because my PCP has never been able to weigh me! They will weigh me during my first appointment. Trying to decide between the sleeve and bypass. I'd love to know why people chose the sleeve. Looking forward to getting to know you all on this journey![/quote']

Hello..and welcome..:) I have not had surgery yet (march 6th) but I chose sleeve mainly because I want to keep my insides as close to how they should be as possible..also I have a few friends that had RNY and suffer from so many deficiencies and complications I can't even count...I have researched the 2 surgeries for about 18 months before I made my decision and have talked to many people that had the sleeve..maybe you should talk to people who had both..compare notes and then make your decision..good luck to you :)

I was not interested in having my insides rerouted and was concerned about the long-term malabsorption problems I had heard about with the bypass. I wanted to lose weight and was willing to take a little longer to get to goal than it might have taken with the bypass.

EDIT: Sorry misread. Thought it was a band or VS. Still I would go with VS.

I've chosen the sleeve (happening in 5 weeks) because it doesn't leave behind a foreign body in my system. My wife works for a surgeon and says even things that are medically ok to be in your body like the band can at times cause problems when and if they begin to decay. I also don't like the idea of maintenance like the fills and flushes and all of that stuff.

Sure its scarier because it’s very permanent. It’s also scary because its semi new or at least newer and there isn't a ton of long term data. They are finding better lasting results with the VS. I'm sure you have seen there are a number of band converts on here as well so that should say something.

All that said the band seems like a great solution if you are the right person. They are both tools and will work great for the right user of that tool. Just talk with you doc and ask a million questions and see where they stand for you. A lot of docs find the question, what would you do for your family, to be a good bridge between just giving advice and telling you what they really think.

I had the sleeve on 10/10, it was one of the best decisions that I have ever made. The bypass was not really a choice for me as I tend to be anemic and the bypass would only make that worse. The lap band needs way too many adjustments for my busy lifestyle (work full-time, school at night and have 2 small children) Plus I was back to work in a week and was able to take care of my family again in just a few days!

Good luck in whichever you choose!

When I first visited with my surgeon for weight loss surgery he asked me which procedure I was interest in then he advised me of the procedure he would recommend for me. The choice was ultimately mine. I oringally wanted the lap band but due to the amount of weight I need to lose I really was not considered a candidate for the lap band procedure. My second option was the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. Why, because with the VSG the natural flow of food would not be altered in any way. food would enter and exit the stomach in the same manner in which I feel we were created. With the Gastric Bypass the way food leaves your stomach and entered the intestines I could not mentall grasp. The thought of re0routing the natural flow of the intestines bothered me and I could not get past it. Yes, you lose weight a lot quicker with the Bypass; however, there is a higher risk of malnutrition with this procedure. Yes, we all will take Vitamins before and after surgery; however, I personally have a cousin who had the Gastric Bypass seven years ago and from the minute her surgery was conducted she has had problems. She says she would not have changed anything for her; however, she's still sick today. I am not pointing fingers about probelms; only trying to express my mindset between the two procedures. My initial visit with my surgeon was in April, 2012. My procedure was done on September 18, 2012 so I am a little over four months post-op. My weight at my initial consult was 293; today I weigh 214 which is a total weight loss of 79 lbs. The day of surgery I weighed in at 268 which equals a total of 54 lbs. down since surgery. GREAT! I can't express how happy I am for this weight loss. I'm looking forward to the next 50 lbs. My goal weight has not been set yet. The only I have set for myself and shared with my doctor is "whenever I can do whatever i choose to do whenever I choose to do it" with regard to energy level.

Choose a doctor that YOU are comfortable with and that you feel is GOOD for YOU. The office staff is important because you need a support group. The doctor I used here in Fort Worth provides a lifetime support group that you can attend at no additional cost. That's a GREAT extra you don't hear about a lot. Research the doctors in your area and go for who will be BEST for YOU.

I wish you nothing but the best for your journey. Which ever procedure you decide on please follow your heart because once you have had the procedure there is no undoing it.

God Bless - Have a wonderful day!

I chose the sleeve because if was safer.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

I chose the sleeve because it seemed the less-complicated surgery, it has less dietary restrictions, and NSAIDs are allowed post-op.

The one advantage of the by-pass is that it allows you to eat more without gaining weight because food is not as fully absorbed as it was pre-op.

Lynda

It's hard to know which is best for everyone because everyone is so different. If there was 1 perfect operation then that is all anyone would ever get. There are pros and cons to all of them and you need to decide which is best for you and your lifestyle. Everyone on here is going to be somewhat biased because we all seem to be pro-sleeve, but the best thing you can do is gather your research and go to your appointment with the surgeon and ask a lot of questions. A good surgeon is going to look at your BMI, how much weight you want to lose and your current health issues and will be able to recommend what they feel is your best option. Personally I chose the sleeve because I like the fact that nothing is re-routed and I will not have to deal with malabsorbtion issues. I know that if you have a very high BMI and you are looking to lose a lot of weight my surgeon recommends the bypass, but he is confident that I will be capable of losing the 90 pounds that I would like to lose with the sleeve. My surgeon told me he never recommends the band anymore because that is only to be used as a temporary fix and there are too many complications with it. The sleeve is relatively newer than the bypass (which is still considered to be the gold-standard of WLS due to higher amounts of weight lost), but I feel confident in my choice. Yes, it is permanent and can not be reversed, but that is part of my body I wouldn't want back! Sleeve can always be converted to bypass down the road if you do not see the results you were hoping for. Hope that helps!

And I think you will always be able to find those that have good results with a procedure and others that have nothing but issues from day 1. I think it's best to fully understand all the possible outcomes and go into it as prepared as possible, but have a positive attitude that things will go great for you! I have a friend who had bypass last May and hasn't had 1 issue. She doesn't suffer from dumping syndrome, tolerates the supplements fine and is down 100 pounds in just 10 months! I still felt the sleeve was the best procedure for ME! Good luck with whatever you decide!