Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am about a month away from surgery..but..constantly thinking about it..I am scared to death something will go wrong. Get a leak, infection, die!!! I think I am driving myself NUTS! Lol..but really can anyone give me any tips or advise on how to relax a little...you would think I was on the operating table right now my nerves are so shot...lol..one day I am ok..the next I am a mess...I am sure everyone goes through this at some point...I just don't know how to handle all the different emotions..well to anyone who reads, thanks for listening to me vent.. :)

The best thing I can tell you is that what you are feeling is completely normal. I cried all the way to the operating room and was nervous about leaks for at least 6 weeks after surgery. I have high anxiety anyway so leading up to the surgery I contanstly focused on what my life was going to be like a year after surgery. I knew if I could tough out my anxiety and make it to a certain point my life would be changed forever and it has. 5 months later...no regrets I couldn't be happier with my decision and not chickening out. I'm now only 10 lbs to goal! Good luck and you'll do great!!

Hi Pammie,

This is a serious operation. You should be somewhat anxious, but it does sound like you are more anxious than most. My suggestion would be to go seek counseling. I don't know what your situation is, but many insurance companies pay for counseling. You need to find a way to manage this anxiety.

Good luck,

Judy

Hi Pammie' date='

This is a serious operation. You should be somewhat anxious, but it does sound like you are more anxious than most. My suggestion would be to go seek counseling. I don't know what your situation is, but many insurance companies pay for counseling. You need to find a way to manage this anxiety.

Good luck,

Judy[/quote']

Thank you for responding... I think most of my problem is listening to people who have no idea what I am going through.. also the only other surgery I had was my tubes tied...and I got such a bad infection after the surgery that I almost died..but I didn't and I keep telling myself this...lol..I am ready for this no matter what.. I know this is my only other option to live.. thanks I am gonna look into talking to a counselor.. maybe it will help ease my mind.. :)

The best thing I can tell you is that what you are feeling is completely normal. I cried all the way to the operating room and was nervous about leaks for at least 6 weeks after surgery. I have high anxiety anyway so leading up to the surgery I contanstly focused on what my life was going to be like a year after surgery. I knew if I could tough out my anxiety and make it to a certain point my life would be changed forever and it has. 5 months later...no regrets I couldn't be happier with my decision and not chickening out. I'm now only 10 lbs to goal! Good luck and you'll do great!!

Thank you for your time responding.. :). I know it will be ok...I am just a freak...lol

Hi Pammie,

I haven't had my surgery yet but I truly understand what you are feeling. I am super super nervous but I keep telling myself to KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE PRIZE!! I'm not sure if my anxiety is the actual surgery or becoming a whole new me. It's scary either way but I keep telling myself that I'm doing the right thing despite what I feel at this moment. My suggestion though it may be hard is to look at the bigger picture and focus on all the things you will be able to do really soon. Surgery is just a small part of it. Relax, relate and release. Find some thing to occupy your time so you don't have time to focus so much on what's coming. I had to do the same thing because I stayed on this forum 90 miles going west and I was starting to freak myself out. I REALLY hope this helps...GOOD LUCK to you!!!

I felt that way after I got my date and it's just now starting to subside. I'm trying to focus on life after surgery and keeping myself busy in the days leading up. I'm working right up to surgery (last day at work 2/14, surgery 2/15) and getting things ready for post op now so I can keep my mind off of the day itself. Talk to your doctor and ask about their complication rates/mortality rates, etc and that might help you calm down too, at least it did for me.

Thank you both.. :) my doc has great credentials has done thousands of surgerys...not worried about him..its me being a wacko...lol..I guess it's the unknown... I know deep down I will be fine or I never would have made this decision.. I am at peace with everything.. I am calm and cool..just scared that maybe thinking that nothing will go wrong means something will...lol..I need to stop reading other people's bad experiences and focus on my own journey.. maybe these people didn't follow doctor instructions right..I know that for sure I will..cause of course I convinced myself it's life and death... :) take care all...I will be on the losers bench soon.. March 6th ...here I come :)

THERE YOU GO!! YOU ARE ALREADY THERE......CHANGE YOUR MIND SET AND LOOK WHAT HAPPENS!! I'M ROUTING FOR YOU.....YOU GOOOO GIRL!!

THERE YOU GO!! YOU ARE ALREADY THERE......CHANGE YOUR MIND SET AND LOOK WHAT HAPPENS!! I'M ROUTING FOR YOU.....YOU GOOOO GIRL!!

Thank you :) It's nice to talk with people going through the same thing...I just gotta stay positive and focused and it will all come together..

I felt the same way once I got my surgery date. I had nightmares and got shaky when I thought about the actual procedure. Now that I am two days away from surgery I am no longer nervous. I am really excited and ready to meet the new me!