Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Problems with certain foods frustration

Hey everyone!!! I'm wondering if anyone on here has had problems with certain foods. I'm 5 weeks out and have trouble eating things like lettuce, onions, and anything green. However during the Super Bowl I was able to eat things like pigs in a blanket, a chicken wing, chocolate covered strawberries, a pastello (it's like an empanada ), and a bunch of devil eggs. So my questions is what's up with the green food v.s the carbs the body can take/not take? I honestly thought I'd get sick and was eating very slowly, but it took.

I am 5 months out and just started being able to eat salad type foods. Onions & brocolli and cabbage no problem from the beginning .. everybody is different however just be careful I have found that most food high in carbs are also the foods that are sliders for me !! Protien first !!!

hope that helps

Thanks

Everybody's sleeve is different. Some people can't tolerate greens. Some can't tolerate sweets, or bread. The only thing I couldn't tolerate was that nasty barium swallow. Everything else has sat with me no problem, so it's up to me not to eat unhealthy food any more than possible.

Take it easy on those pigs in a blanket...you're only 5 weeks out.

I'm not here to lecture, but just because it can take, doesn't mean it should. You're early out and while I fully encourage a moderate approach to diet in the latter part of the loss phase and in maintenance, be careful not to build up bad habits right now that are hard to shake later. You're so early out that you can eat just about anything and see a drop on the scale, but in a few months it won't be so simple. Lecture aside, you're lucky you could handle that type of food...or perhaps unlucky. Because being able to tolerate the junky stuff means the biggest burden of choosing healthier options lies on your willpower alone. If you're within your daily calorie limits for the day and making mostly good choices you should be fine.

Fibrous veggies and any types of greens or lettuce are notorious for causing issues for a long while post op. Some people never experience this but many do. I still cannot eat iceberg, it causes discomfort and digestive problems every time. I can eat any other greens and any other vegetable I'd like, though. It just took about nine months to get there.

And why do I feel like I'm stalking BTB around the forums today? Seriously, every time I go to post somewhere, he was there first.

~Cheri

And why do I feel like I'm stalking BTB around the forums today? Seriously, every time I go to post somewhere, he was there first.

~Cheri

We're both trying to find as many posts as we can that don't start with "stall" or "hair loss" or "I hate my sleeve."

Thanks. It is a blessing and a curse i suppose being able to tolerate those foods so early on. To be honest thought the difference between pre and post sleeve is that I don't "crave" it. I only eat foods like that if they're readily available to me like yesterday. Not only that , I ate so much less than what I would have pre sleeve. It's back to Protein protein and more protein today!!!!

Being healthy in the long run means being able to treat food like a person that never had a weight problem or an emotional relationship with food. The most important thing you can do for yourself is approach your long term goals that way.

Sounds like you're on the right track, and it's the little accomplishments that mean a lot. Every now and again I'll feel like I've completely overdone it, but the reality is that I haven't...it's just such an odd occurrence these days for me to indulge and snack that it seems over the top, even when it's firmly within my daily limits.

You're doing great - keep up the good work,

~Cheri

I'm jealous of the foods you can eat at only 5 weeks out! I'm still struggling with my veggies they have to be chewed until almost nothing and chicken is like eating grizzley steak and I'm at 4 months! My superbowl "feast" consisted of almost 2 wingettes (the 2-bone portion, not the meaty drum-stick) a corner of a slice of pizza with mushrooms and olives, without the crust! Stuffed! Done! That was the end of that! I'm struggling with the volume being so small that at parties and celebrations I can't even take a taste of everything that I'ld like to (but probably shouldn't have any way!) Do you find you crave carbs more after having a carb-heavy day? That's my problem, once I realized that Cookies and cake go down fine -- I was craving them and then stopped myself and went cold turkey again back with shakes and simple Proteins until I felt the craving subside (about 3 days). Just be careful. You want to focus on enjoying life and not enjoying food as much as pre-surgery. That in and of itself is part of our growing (while losing) process! Good luck!

I wish I could only eat those foods. Looking back, it took me about an 1 1/2 to eat that plate. Most of the time I had to go very slowly and eat little by little.

I wish I could only eat those foods. Looking back' date=' it took me about an 1 1/2 to eat that plate. Most of the time I had to go very slowly and eat little by little.[/quote']

Gotcha...I also eat way too fast a lot still. That's probably half my problem to begin with!