Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When did you start to feel normal again?

It's been 5 weeks since my surgery, everyday feels like a rollercoaster ride. I still can't seem to get my Protein amounts in or Fluid. Anything that I eat I can only get about 2oz at a time; and depending on what it is, I'm hungry 20 mins later. Also I still feel hunger!!! I feel weak a lot, but still trying to get back to my normal routine. I have been trying to get back to using my elliptical machine for exercise, but after 15 mins I feel like I'm about to die. I use to be able to do 45 mins, before feeling exhausted. I'm losing weight and inches, but I feel like I'm starving at the same time. My morning routine consist of pill/vit taking, which often comes back up. Then it's on to the Protein Drink, which I hate them all. I've tried to make my own, but the taste of the Protein is inescapable. Sometimes I feel twinges of pain, like I can actual feel one or more of my staples. I feel like there is an empty hole in my stomach and I still wonder "what did I do to myself" will my life ever be normal again.

So having said all that, when did you start feeling normal again. Is my experience so unlike others at 5 weeks out?

It took about 8 weeks for me to "feel" life becoming "normal" now at 13 weeks I feel like I am finding life becoming more balanced. If you are feeling a hole or staples I would go see the surgeon. Just to get checked..... better to be safe, than sorry. Best Wishes... Tina

As I am sure you already see on here everybody's experience is different.

Since you Cant tolerate protien drinks have you tried unflavored Protein powder to sprinkle on your food or to add for that extra punch of Protein to yorgurt or SF pudding????

Also its hard to say are you really hungry or is it head hunger, or even reflux that is allot like a hunger feeling. I am 5 months out and only eat about 2 oz of dense protien at a time, things like greek yogurt or slider type food I can eat more of. It took me a few months to find out what filled me up for longer periods and what was a slider food. So right now it is more a matter of finding your balance and dont give up.

Excercise, I would maybe start with walking and build my self up to the eliptical at 5 months out I just started resistant training and its a feat within its self to have enough energy to do that....

Things truely do get better, one baby step at a time.... You can do this !!!

Ps congrats on the weight loss

It took about 8 weeks for me to "feel" life becoming "normal" now at 13 weeks I feel like I am finding life becoming more balanced. If you are feeling a hole or staples I would go see the surgeon. Just to get checked..... better to be safe, than sorry. Best Wishes... Tina

Thanks. The staple I do feel, the hole is more like an emptiness. I know that probably sounds crazy, but I've always been pretty in tune with my body. I will call doc on Monday; besides I'm getting concerned about the lack of Protein, Fluid and food I'm able to tolerate.

PS. Don't mean to sound so negative about the experience, but I'm posting where "I" am with my journey - everyone's experience is going to be different.

Thanks. The staple I do feel, the hole is more like an emptiness. I know that probably sounds crazy, but I've always been pretty in tune with my body. I will call doc on Monday; besides I'm getting concerned about the lack of Protein, Fluid and food I'm able to tolerate.

PS. Don't mean to sound so negative about the experience, but I'm posting where "I" am with my journey - everyone's experience is going to be different.

You do not seem negative to me..... we are all on here for help and support..... i m so sorry if I made you feel that way.....

Oh no, not at all. You didn't make me feel like I was being negative - that is just something that was in my head. It seems like I'm always highlighting the difficulties I'm having on this site and rarely focus on the good. The good is that I have lost about 25lbs since the surgery. I know I could never have done that without the surgery. Still this is such a struggle for me and this is where I need all the support I can get; from folks like you. Thank you.

I found that I had to switch to a different Protein Powder after surgery. During my pre-op diet, I was drinking Bariatric Advantage shakes and really liked them. Post-op, however, I found that they were too thick. I could only drink a few ounces at a time. I switched to Syntrax Nectar shakes (chocolate truffle is awesome) and found that these did not get thick. They are more like chocolate milk. Even now at just past six months, I still don't care for the thick shakes. I'll make a Bariatric Advantage shake every once in awhile, but it takes me probably an HOUR to drink one of them.