Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had my 3 month check today. Despite having Vitamin issues, my Protein and Iron were spot on. My Vitamin D and B-12 were a tinge low. I am so happy. If I can get passed the mental thing and take the Vitamins I'm in good shape. I've lost 48# since I started and 36 since the day of surgery.

I have found I can eat everything. Dense foods don't sit well, like Protein Bars, dry meats, nuts on an empty stomach and my old favorite comfort foods like bread, Pasta, etc. I can eat just a bite or two and I'm done with them or I get that awful too full feeling. I can eat an apple and salad with no problem. I love the crunch. It's also so much easier to drink Water. I still drink at least one Protein Drink a day. I'm loving this sleeve!

I was tested last week as I visited my family in my hometown. It was both of my folks birthdays so there were sweets and those foods that I only eat when I go there which is once a year or so. I did indulge but in moderation. I'm proud of myself that I could eat just a taste or a bite and yes I may have wanted more but knew better. After I let it rest, I was fine. So if any new sleevers are reading this it does get better.

I must add I didn't have co morbidities but was my blood work before surgery was borderline bad. I had some pain and discomfort in the hospital right after surgery, but I could walk laps around the hospital at normal speed and had no problem with pain once home or with the Protein drinks the first week. Then they made me sick, the smell, the taste, even Water got hard to get down. I still cringe at the thought of the Protein powder before surgery I liked and at week two it made me sick. I ended up with powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury unflavored with crystal light raspberry lemonade. I don't like crystal light but it worked. Grapefruit juice by simply brand and fresh squeezed work better. This was my favorite blend. I did put it in a fresh veggie juice but the powder was too clumpy. Maybe I should have blended it.

Anyhow, the road gets easier each day I still have times where I eat too fast or take a bite too big or that bite you know as you swallow it was better left on the plate, but not as much. When eating around other people, I live alone, I sometimes catch myself eating as fast as them, immediately stop and rest then I watch them and get grossed out on how much food they put in one bite. I scarfed my food too before surgery and never realized how awful it looks till now.

This is such a wonderful learning process about myself, besides learning how to use the sleeve and more about my denial of what eating meant to me. I have realized that I was really eating for no reason in the past 11 years that got out of hand and uncontrollable because of major stressors. I am not the girl who was fat all my life, just the past 10 years really. I never drank regular sodas, much processed foods, just too much of empty foods when i was stressed. I'm 52, my forties were not very good. Too many life changing things I wouldn't wish on anyone. I'm feeling very healthy mind, body and soul. Still may start to go for food when stressed or anxious but catch myself, I know why, and try to do something else. It works and I hope it continues.

Okay. I really didn't mean to write this much, but felt it may help those not out this far. I'm not the perfect follow by the rules kind of person and my weight loss maybe slower than some which I hope in the long run is easier on my body. The best part is its faster than when I was dieting only to deny it since it was healthy food. Gained it back plus 20 this last time and was mortified when I weighed the 290 at the first dr visit.

Oh one last thing because I don't think I understood what meds or NSAIDs were allowed. I thought it was forever from info I read. My doctor gave me the go ahead for any meds. Which is great as I have to have arthroscopic shoulder surgery next week. And am allowed the pain pills.

I hope this helps someone I'm sorry I got so winded but I felt that it could help someone. Thanks for reading.

pen

Sent from my iPad using VST

I really ejoyed reading about your journey so far, I am in the beginning pre stages. I have been reading myinfo books tonight, and am getting excieted. Surgery if all goes well should be May. Thanks for your story,a nd keep up the good work!!

Thank you for your story. I am 3 weeks out and I think you just wrote my story. It has been easy no pain. I walk earlier on and drank my fluids. I am on puréed and I am doing great trying new foods. I have lost 20# so far with 80# to go. I am so happy with my sleeve.

Great post. I had a similar journey and I'm 8 wks out. Down 45lbs from highest wt includ my pre op. feeling great and can eat anything in small amts;) I totally agree with the point of watching others eat- kinda grosses me out sometimes and to think that was me! Congrats! And keep it up

Thank you for your support. I have learned so much from reading everyone's experiences so I thought I may have some feedback for those not this far.

I usually don't do this but while I was out of town, I only lost one pound. My new smaller jeans have begun to get loose already so I weight again today. 2 more gone. So 50 at my worst. Hard to say, 100 to go but better than 150.

Good luck to y'all on your journey!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches