Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first time eating out

So I had a meeting last night at a Mexican restaurant. Was very apprehensive about eating there in front of a crowd. I ended up ordering fajitas. Just kind of picked at the chicken and had a few bites of Beans. Nobody even looked my way! Not sure why I was worried. The only downfall was that with a full plate of food in front of me, I couldn't resist kind of grazing during the whole meeting. I'm still not really sure how much I can eat at one time. Maybe it would have been smarter to ask for a box right away and just leave out what I think I should be eating, but still pretty happy about the experience.

Hi Mizzzlisa,

Glad to hear it went well for you. I have the same problem eating out. The only way I beat it was doing as you suggest and getting a box right away. I will ask for a couple of small boxes and divide the meal into 3 or 4 portions, then box them for later. Found myself sometimes eating more when I got home so I started putting a 24 hour rule on my left overs. I wont eat them for a minimum of 24 hours after I first got them, I put date/time on the box with a sharpie marker and everything. Seems like a bunch of head games to me but it helps. Like they say on the beer commercial...."Its only weird if it doesn't work!!" Good Luck and congrats on your trip out.

thats a great system grey bc i was thinking samething-that once i get leftovers home id be able to eat more by then so waiting till next day as per your rule is a great idea! but u let yourself have it for lunch right? which would be say 18hrs not 24......you're not literal about the24 hrs r u?

also....mizz...i was wondering--do u stop eating bc youre full or bc u cant fit anymore in? i ask bc when i was preop everyonesaid id be 'full' after couple of bites----but nowthat im postop-2 weeks today---i find that my hungerissame as before----butthen i eat--and several bites in i get this feeling of-----almost bad indigestion and i haveto stop eating bc of it----so im stopping bc of that uncomfortablefeeling NOT bc i no longer feel hungry.................im still on purees and hoping when i moveto solids itll bedifferent------does anyone identify w my experience?

Grey, that is an excellent suggestion! I think I'm going to portion out what I brought home so I can more easily track what I'm eating.

And super girl, I have learned that the feeling of fullness is not the same post sleeve. I don't feel that bloaty stomach stretched feeling like I would have before surgery. It's a more localized sense of tightness than really a feeling of fullness. A few days ago, it became much easier for me to eat and drink more at a time. I'm 3 weeks today. I am trying to get into a routine of always getting my fluids cause sometimes I'm just lazy about it, so today so far I have eaten this:

First thing when I woke up I drank a premier chocolate shake. About 6:30 am. Then about 8oz coffee ( yeah I know, not supposed to haha but I was cold and it tastes soooo good) then 22oz of Water by 9:00. Breakfast was 1/2 a bratwurst. It's now 11:40am and I just finished my second 22oz of Water. Getting ready to cut off fluids so I can eat lunch by 12:30. Leftovers from last night. So far I am comfortable. Don't feel bloated from the water, no pain in my sleeve. That would not have been the case a week ago. I think for myself anyway it's not my body will not allow me to get fluids in its just that it has to be a priority. Anyway. Sorry for the long post.

thats a great system grey bc i was thinking samething-that once i get leftovers home id be able to eat more by then so waiting till next day as per your rule is a great idea! but u let yourself have it for lunch right? which would be say 18hrs not 24......you're not literal about the24 hrs r u?

also....mizz...i was wondering--do u stop eating bc youre full or bc u cant fit anymore in? i ask bc when i was preop everyonesaid id be 'full' after couple of bites----but nowthat im postop-2 weeks today---i find that my hungerissame as before----butthen i eat--and several bites in i get this feeling of-----almost bad indigestion and i haveto stop eating bc of it----so im stopping bc of that uncomfortablefeeling NOT bc i no longer feel hungry.................im still on purees and hoping when i moveto solids itll bedifferent------does anyone identify w my experience?

What you're describing is the full feeling

What you're describing is the full feeling

I am almost 3 weeks out and am having this feeling, too. Is it a full feeling or an over eaten feeling?

The New Me