Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Here is what the local paper had to say about my success story...

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2013/jan/28/marathon-runner-mark-noel/

Shortly after this story was published, I was contacted by NPR to participate in a round table discussion. During the course of the 45 minutes we were on the air, we discussed my journey and whether weight loss surgery was the answer for many people. I was on with the head of UCLA's Bariatric Surgery unit and discussed the VSG and other options for people with weight issues. As soon as the podcast is available, probably tomorrow, I'll post a link to it and you can down it.

It was hard to come 'out of the closet' to tell everyone about my surgery. Even now there are comments that somehow I'm weak for having the surgery and not doing this on my own. As the doctor on the show pointed out, 97-99% of the people who try to do this on their own without surgery will fail and likely gain even more weight. Without addressing all the issues, you are setting yourself up for failure.

Enjoy my story...

Mark

(massindex)

Awesome! I've been reading this thread waiting for an easy link to read your story.

Thanks! And job well done!

Laura

Oh, and I would love to hear that podcast too!

Mark! You have done so fantastic! You were such a help to me when I started running- you made me believe in myself

So proud of you!!

The article is incredible! Congrats on your success and your new lease on life! I am newly sleeved and have already enrolled to do the 5k color run here in Orange County in May! Im hoping to adopt the same excercise habit.

The article is incredible! Congrats on your success and your new lease on life! I am newly sleeved and have already enrolled to do the 5k color run here in Orange County in May! Im hoping to adopt the same excercise habit.

Color Run's are a blast! Really enjoy it!

This is fantastic. You are a true inspiration! Thank you for the education and inspiration that you have provided to so many.

you look great, what a great article! what an inspiration for us to run more!

You really are an inspiration Mark!

Fantastic!!!

Love to hear it!!!

Go the MAMILS!

(Middle Aged Men In Lycra) :P:D

What an inspiration. Can't wait to hear the pod cast.

Deano

hard to come 'out of the closet' to tell everyone about my surgery.

Mark

250 lbs gone, are you kidding me??? :o :)

I'm speechless - that never happens to me (ask my DH) :lol:

wonderful story, but sorry to say - whats NPR?? :o

its probably getting old - people telling you what an "amazing, wonderful, inspirational person you are!!!" - but you are all those things!!! i just won't embarrass you by telling you that!! ;)

pre WLS - eating too much, then getting depressed, eating too much et al - yes vicious cycle that i think its safe to say we've all been there :mellow:

riding your bike so much - all those races - other exercises too!!!!

you sound like a "wild and crazy guy" :lol:

congrats on raising $600.00 - "forcing" you to run that marathon ;) good luck Sunday :)

CONGRATS on alllll your successess!!! :)

You are AMAZING. Thank you for sharing, and I am so inspired by your success. Keep up the great work.

wonderful story, but sorry to say - whats NPR?? :o

NPR is National Public Radio :rolleyes:

Your article made me cry! You are such an inspiration!! My goal this year is to walk/jog 2 5K's plus the Dirty Girl Run which is an untimed obstacle course (baby steps LOL). I totally get the moving from one addiction to the other. I would have NEVER in a million years thought I'd be a gym rat. It feels so awesome though!