Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

52 and wondering what to expect

Everyone's skin is different, so you will just have to loose & see what happens! But I agree with everyone else...a little saggy skin is nothing compared to good health! & you can always have it removed if it bothers you that much! I'm 52 also & am looking forward to my new body...saggy & all! Lol....good luck on your journey!

Thanks. You're right, good health is what matters.

I am 55 and after being on 3 blood pressure medications and still could not control it, I knew I really had no choice, especially since I am going to be a new grandma in May. I purchased the book Successful Weight Loss with the Gastric Sleeve by Guillermo Alvarez, M.D. and The Sleeved Life by Pennie Nicola. Found both to be very helpful in this journey. They are both available on Kindle, as well.

My concern has always been, will I be able to eat foods like people with normal stomachs!? Eating healthier and in moderation was the theme I heard most often, My surgeon provided a booklet that had websites to visit and cookbooks to try once we are able to eat solid foods. I ordered all of them! Just got them today and they look wonderful. My husband is a better cook than I and said he was willing to try out the recipes, as well. I cannot wait to try them. If you are interested, I will give you the names of the cookbooks.

I, too am concerned about the flabby skin, but I hope to have it removed, when the time is right. I need to get crackin' on exercise, as well.

Blessings to you in your journey.

Congratulations on being a grandma! I haven't been blessed with grandchildren yet but I'll be ready for them with better health.

I have read the book by Dr Alvarez, it's full of good information. Yes, I would like the names of the cookbooks. I've got a lot to learn about a new way of cooking and eating.

Best of luck to you also!

Besides health reasons, my grandchildren are a major reason I had the sleeve done (back in November). I want to be able to do things WITH them not watching them. I am only down 35 pounds so far but I made it 6 hours at Disneyland with them last week. And I did it walking!!!! Grandbabies are motivation to get healthy regardless of how much skin is hanging around afterward.

I was 58 years old at surgery, 223 lbs at my highest, (5'3") have been in the 130's (goal) for 4 months, no more HBP, no more high cholesterol, no knee or feet or hip problems, and I now wear a size 6-8. No sagging skin except for my breasts. I am looking into a breast lift and implants this year. Very affordable and the truth is, at this age no matter if I had been thin, they would be sagging, so I'm excited about having it done. If you are in your 50's if you want a glimpse of what your first year might look like, I wrote about my first year every Sunday on my blog. Start with www.queenofcrop.com/about and go from there, or just look at my last post in December for a recap at www.queenofcrop.com which shows 12 before and 12 after photos....as pdxman says, it's a no brainer....even in your 50's!

Good luck everyone!

Congratulations on being a grandma! I haven't been blessed with grandchildren yet but I'll be ready for them with better health.

I have read the book by Dr Alvarez, it's full of good information. Yes, I would like the names of the cookbooks. I've got a lot to learn about a new way of cooking and eating.

Best of luck to you also!

These are the names of the cookbooks referenced in my surgeon's "Patient's Education Booklet."

1. recipes for Life After Weight-Loss Surgery, by Margaret M. Furtado

2. Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery, by Patt Levine and Michele Bontempo-Saray

3. Before and After - Living and Eating Well After Weight-Loss Surgery, by Susan Maria Leach

This cookbook I ran across on Amazon.com when ordering the other cookbooks:

4. Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for Dummies, by Brian K. Davidson

This cookbook, I just ordered:

5. Cooking with Kaye: Methods to Meals Protein First recipes You Will Love, by Kaye Bailey

She also has a pocket diet journal on her website. She is also on Pinterest.

Right now, these delicious sounding recipes are to look forward to. My husband even wants to try them. The first four books appear to use common ingredients which I like. Not sure about the 5th one, as I have not received it yet.

These are the names of the cookbooks referenced in my surgeon's "Patient's Education Booklet."

1. Recipes for Life After Weight-Loss Surgery, by Margaret M. Furtado

2. Eating Well After Weight Loss Surgery, by Patt Levine and Michele Bontempo-Saray

3. Before and After - Living and Eating Well After Weight-Loss Surgery, by Susan Maria Leach

This cookbook I ran across on Amazon.com when ordering the other cookbooks:

4. Weight Loss Surgery Cookbook for Dummies, by Brian K. Davidson

This cookbook, I just ordered:

5. Cooking with Kaye: Methods to Meals Protein First recipes You Will Love, by Kaye Bailey

She also has a pocket diet journal on her website. She is also on Pinterest.

Right now, these delicious sounding recipes are to look forward to. My husband even wants to try them. The first four books appear to use common ingredients which I like. Not sure about the 5th one, as I have not received it yet.

Thank you. They all sound very helpful. I'm looking into ordering them right now.

Thank you. They all sound very helpful. I'm looking into ordering them right now.

It gives you something to look forward to, besides a slim body!

I am so glad I found this group I am 53yrs old going to have the sleeve sometime in March I have 100 lbs to loose.I just read Weight

Loss surgery for Dummies great book also on youtube have been a lot of help... I know I will have saggy skin also but it's ok.If I will feel better and move with out pain. I have been perparing myself mentally as much as I can.Just trying to get Protein in and no sugar my brain is in over load but I am so ready for my new journey.

Welcome sastexan4u! When you have a chance, you might want to read my blog....I was sleeved 15 months ago in my late 50's and I had about 85 lbs to lose; which I did in 11 months! The only sagging skin I have are my breasts so I am having a breast lift/implants this year. You will do just fine; you have an exciting year ahead of you but it will be weird at times.....I posted my progress every Sunday for a year. Start with this: www.queenofcrop.com/about and then go from there! Keep us posted! This forum is a great resource!~

Queen of Crop

I am so glad I found this group I am 53yrs old going to have the sleeve sometime in March I have 100 lbs to loose.I

just read Weight

Loss surgery for Dummies great book also on youtube have been a lot of help... I know I will have saggy skin also but it's ok.If I will feel better and move with out pain. I have been perparing myself mentally as much as I can.Just trying to get Protein in and no sugar my brain is in over load but I am so ready for my new journey.

Will be 51 in March. Just scheduled for Feb. 26 for a sleeve. I have greater than 150lbs to lose.

I am 52 and was sleeved October 30th. I've lost 41lbs since the day of surgery and feel great. My goal is to lose 150 also. I'm down 53 from my heaviest. I don't know if I'll have skin I assume its inevitable to have some, but I can't make a decision about it until I get done.

Good luck to all and congrats on the great losses!

thanks Queen of the crop I will read your blog also thanks for the advice I am going to buy a rolling machine and start working out be for my per post op..

Stephanie

Hi there! I'm a young 53, sleeved Oct 11, 2012, and have gone from size 24 (278 lbs. Last August) and I am now 200 lbs, size 16. People say I look 20 years younger! Mind you they can't see under my clothes, the flabbedity, sagetty skin, but with my Spanx on and a good bra, the image looks pretty good. Naked is a whole different thing-but my husband's not complaining, believe me! I've hit my first stall, other than that and a little Constipation early on, it's been great! Looking forward to life instead of just looking forward to food! Good luck!

Ok, I've enjoyed all of your posts. And at 57, I have lost 102# since 5/12. I still have 25 more to go. The skin is getting more and more wrinkly everyday. I weight lift, do crunches, pushups, balance ball, swim, bike, hike, Water aerobics...always on the go and loving every minute of it. I now wear a lot of compression workout wear, so the loose skin doesn't show that much in public...my dilemma is I have been single for 13 years and am really getting interested in dating again...I am terrified of takingy clothes off in front of a new man!! I know if they really love me, it won't matter...and yes, Breast implants are in my future since I went from 44dd to 38c..my boobs are like pancakes without a good bra on....when I was fat I could just date a man who loved big women and not be self conscious about my body...but I wasn't ever happy that way and I could never love anyone who loved me fat because I didn't love myself like that.... So, I guess I've vented enough....at 57 I feel like I have about 20-30 years left, I want them to be the best. Hopefully I'll be chasing my little granddaughters around with their new Grandpa who accepts all of just as we are.

Hi Kshepa! I'm right there with you!!!! Although I'm 59 and married.....my poor breasts are so sagging and droopy and just pathetic. I put a bra on and am happy, but naked is a scary thing! I am going to have a breast lift and implants done in May; just trying to decide on the doctor. I am so hoping to have the incision in the 'fold' under my breast but I fear that because it's a lift as well as an implant they have to cut the nipple and then vertically from the nipple down. If I have to do it that way I will, but still trying to figure it out....was it PDX man or another guy who knew a lot about breast surgery....where are you? Do you know anything about breast lifts AND implants????

Well, I was scheduled 3 yrs ago for a lift. Didn't need implants then. I was about 40 # heavier then, too. Now my chest looks a lot different, there's nothing to lift anymore, just these two saggy bags of skin, so I'll be doing more research nearer to my 1 yr anniversary (May). I know they recommend 2 yrs before doing any major skin reduction surgery...but I think implants would be ok. I'm gonna check with my surgeon soon. Before she was able to get the lift covered by insurance because of lower back problems and dents in my shoulders. I'll let u know what I find out.