Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

for those of you who live alone

I live alone and have 3 dogs. My plan is to take the 2 Mastiffs to the doggie daycare the day before surgery. I have a friend who's going to take care of my yorkie. I plan to come home alone. I know I will have to stay 1 night at the hospital and maybe too he's already told me maybe 2, because I'm a little older. Yay I turned 50 today! Has anyone come home and done at all alone or do I need to stay at my moms a day or 2? I would be so much more comfortable at home. I am pretty stubborn and independent.

I have the same question. I have a friend who wants to come stay with me but she thinks my yorkies should stay outside. To be honest she is more trouble than help. I would rather be alone but wonder if its possible

I live alone and have 3 dogs. My plan is to take the 2 Mastiffs to the doggie daycare the day before surgery. I have a friend who's going to take care of my yorkie. I plan to come home alone. I know I will have to stay 1 night at the hospital and maybe too he's already told me maybe 2, because I'm a little older. Yay I turned 50 today! Has anyone come home and done at all alone or do I need to stay at my moms a day or 2? I would be so much more comfortable at home. I am pretty stubborn and independent.

just to be safe, i would stay at your moms, or have her stay with you

if you have someone to stay with or will stay with you then accept it. At least for 1-2 days.. I was fine and needed no help but it was nice knowing i wasnt completely alone and had someone asking if i was ok :)

Definitely nice to have someone around, just for support and little things. You can never be sure just how you'll feel post-op and it's never bad to have company. My mom came down when I had surgery and stuck around for a week or so just to help out (I also live alone).

You need to be the judge on how you feel. I could have easily been by myself after surgery but that is me. Your puppies may be a little rough the first day home or so, unless someone can help feed them and take them out. If you feel ok, then just keep your phone near if you have an emergency, and if someone could check on you during the day would be a security too. But you know you and only you can decide when you leave the hospital. PS I am 50 also.

My recovery was not an easy one. I couldn't have driven myself home, even if I had stayed in the hospital 3 or 4 days after surgery. I had a friend drive me home and he went and got my prescriptions filled. Once home, I was able to take care of myself. If you still plan to do this on your own, please make a backup plan of who to call in case you can't drive yourself home. And stock up on the foods you plan to eat for the 1st week.

I would check with your hospital staff. I know that mine wouldn't allow me to drive home.

I live alone and did my entire recovery alone. I had absolutely no problems. If you are very independent like me, you may be happier and find your recovery more peaceful without other people around. If I had to do it all over, I would do it exactly the same way.

That being said, if you decide to take care of yourself make sure you have a back-up plan just in case your recovery is more difficult than you expected it to be. Good luck!