Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Popcorn?

I want to put forth a challenge for anyone that is less than a year out from surgery. Every time you think, "I deserve this (insert food item here), I have lost X lbs" or "I have been good" or whatever your justification is.........STOP and remember this. The first 12 to 18 months are the honeymoon phase where you can likely eat a smaller amount of the same crap that got us to obesity in the first place and still lose some weight.

Rather think, this is my time to take advantage of my surgical tool and start making the changes in my head that I'm going to need to be successful long term. You don't deserve (insert same food item here) to satisfy an immediate need, YOU DESERVE to be healthy for the rest of your life. Realizing that food is not a reward will help go along way in getting you there.

I want to put forth a challenge for anyone that is less than a year out from surgery. Every time you think' date=' "I deserve this (insert food item here), I have lost X lbs" or "I have been good" or whatever your justification is.........STOP and remember this. The first 12 to 18 months are the honeymoon phase where you can likely eat a smaller amount of the same crap that got us to obesity in the first place and still lose some weight.

Rather think, this is my time to take advantage of my surgical tool and start making the changes in my head that I'm going to need to be successful long term. You don't deserve (insert same food item here) to satisfy an immediate need, YOU DESERVE to be healthy for the rest of your life. Realizing that food is not a reward will help go along way in getting you there.[/quote']

I am absolutely trying to change this behaviour! I always used to use food as a reward (and comfort for sadness or stress), and I am really trying to stop that kind of thinking because it isn't healthy!

TBH, I had no idea how unhealthy movie theatre popcorn was/is! Now that I do it will be avoided / replaced with home popped popcorn!

I ate it 3 months out. Really, stay away from the movie theater popcorn. They add artificial transfats, chemicals and tons of salt to make it smell so people will buy it. Same with microwave popcorn. The chemicals in it are horrendous and opeople working in those plants are developing weird cancers.

I pop mine over the stove in a small amount of olive oil. Coconut works well too. Huge bags of unpopped corn are available in supermarkets for $1-$2 a bag. I eat a LOT of it and it lasts me a month or two.

Yes, I sneak it into the theater. I take it hiking too. It's a great snack.< /p>

If you really have such a craving down the road why don't you get the low calorie non butter popcorn at the store pop it at home and bring a small snack bag to the movies.

My doctor said no seeds' date=' nuts or popcorn for 6 months. I'm just starting my 5th month so I'll be looking forward to some nuts and seeds in about 2 months.[/quote']

Oh crap! I've been eating almonds and sunflower seeds at 3 months!!!

What! what! what! I'm eating almonds right now!

( first time)

I was told three months for popcorn and nuts. The problem with popcorn is those little bits that get stuck in your teeth can get stuck in your healing stomach and cause infection or leaking if it's really early on. Nuts can do the same and you can't chew them enough.

I have had popcorn and I am not able to eat much more than a cup so you don't necessarily have to think that pop corn is going to be your downfall, unless it was a problem earlier. I could never finish a small and don't crave the stuff so for me it's no biggie. Your milage may vary but make it vary after three months :)

I was cleared for popcorn at about 6-8 weeks out. Went down fine.

I am absolutely trying to change this behaviour! I always used to use food as a reward (and comfort for sadness or stress), and I am really trying to stop that kind of thinking because it isn't healthy!

TBH, I had no idea how unhealthy movie theatre popcorn was/is! Now that I do it will be avoided / replaced with home popped popcorn!

It is on ongoing battle to change the way we have been thinking for so many years. Emotional eating is one of the things that got many of us to where we were. Even with the loss of weight the mindset is going to have to be worked on in order to move past those old, bad ways. I am sure I will spend the rest of my life trying to learn how to think like a thin person.

Here are a couple more thoughts about comments like, "I tried it and it was fine." and no I'm not picking on anyone for their comments :).

Just because you CAN do it, does not mean you SHOULD do it.

Playing Russian Roulette with 6 chambers in the revolver and only one bullet, you have an 83% chance of being just fine.........would you play?

Me too but my Surgeon said he did not have any restrictions for me when I was 8 weeks he said if you think you can tolerate it try it but go slow.I have had almonds and the skin gave me issues so now I eat blanched raw slivered ones.I also eat dry roasted sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

I get tempted every now and then to eat some popcorn when at the movies. Then I think about what is actually in the "butter" and change my mind. I used to be the biggest popcorn eater pre sleeve. I liked movie popcorn, caramel popcorn, apple/caramel popcorn, moose munch, white cheddar popcorn, etc. It was my #1 favorite snack. I was such an addict. :) I do not eat popcorn post sleeve because I know it would probably be dangerous for me.

I do enjoy popcorn as an occasional snack (Erin's, SmartFood, Trader Joe's olive oil & sea salt, etc.) but absolutely have to weigh out my portion before eating it - either 1/2 oz or 1 oz.