Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When do you let your employer know?

I have been very perplexed and going back and forth about when is the right time to tell my boss about VSG. Currently if all goes as planned I will have surgery Mid-End March. I work for the hospital that I will be having the surgery in so it's kind of awkward bcuz I know my boss may know some of the people I have been working with in bariatric. I know/hope i should be protected in that regard by HIPAA but nevertheless i still fear them finding out somehow before i officially tell them.

The other concern is they are well aware its not an overnight process and am afraid the longer I wait the less notice I am giving, but also hate to say anything before I get approved. I really don't think they will mind and I'm sure they can live without me for a 1 week or so....

What to do, thoughts, suggestions?????

Sent from my iPhone using VST

I haven't told my boss about this either. I want to wait until I get all approvals and can approach him with all of the facts! :)

Me personally, I would wait about a month before to tell them. I think its a long enough notice but not too far away to where they would forget to take you off the schedule for a week. But it all depends on your work and how they do things.

Thank you for your replies, that's what my gut says to wait till approved which should be about a month before. I appreciate your feedback!! :)

I took vacation time for medical reasons. I didn't mention the reason.

This may help -

I also work in several hospitals. There is often an option for the hospital to block the records of their employees. For me to view records of an employee, I must go through an extra HIPPA screen which requires me to verify that I am authorized to review the records. The screen gives me a warning that states that if I continue my information will be reviewed for having accessed the records. Talk to the HIM staff and see if there is something they can help to protect your private information.

Thxs for the tip with HIM, I hadn't thought about that. The thing of it is that I have worked very closely with all the OR RNs and PERIOP areas as I was their sole trainer for their EMR which was implemented recently. The plot thickens, huh???? Lol :)

You may want to check with your hr department. They can tell you what the process is for a medical leave. I had all my pre op and post op appointments covered by my leave. They should also be able to guide you on how much info you need to share with your boss.

I mentioned it to my direct manager as "idea" that I was thinking about even though I was taking the steps to have the surgery. Once I was

approved I then told my manager that she will be receiving notification from the insurance company about my leave, you do not have to tell

them exactly the reason for the leave that between you and HR but because I report directly to her I let her know as a courtesy that I will

be taking off for 8 weeks. Im 3 weekss post op now

I gave my employer notice once I received a surgery date. Which was about 3-4 weeks notice.

I would wait till you have a surgery date. I also work in a hospital and haven't decided if I'll reveal the reason for my leave. Once I'm approved, I'll choose a date 3 or 4 weeks in advance and go from there. It's covered by FMLA and legally I'm not required to divulge anything more than that :)

So when you do FMLA, the paperwork which they see doesn't say why you are requesting????

Another question, is it pretty standard that FMLA would cover it if we are "choosing/electing" this surgery?

Thanks to everyone!

The FMLA paperwork will state the reason. I guess it depends on who processes FMLA requests? I had to take some for a leg injury last year and everything was handled through HR. When I called off, all I told the hospital was it was covered under FMLA. If I recall correctly, I didn't state the exact reason why I needed the time off. My doctor's office filled out the rest but I suppose it could be worded vaguely. "My patient is receiving surgery for a serious condition" or something along those lines. Either way, management never actually saw the paperwork. They simply received an email from the FMLA department stating that my leave was approved.

FMLA is FMLA. It doesn't matter if it's elective or not :) If it prevents you from doing your job safely, you're covered! You just have to watch how many weeks you take per calendar year. Hope this helps!

I am lucky in the respect that I work for a small company and my boss and I are friends, we know of each others struggles. I told her in 2011 that I was going to see a bariatric surgeon and she was very supportive. When I do see her ( she works Mon, Thurs and Fris) She keeps telling me how excited SHE is lol I feel very lucky and feel like all my ducks are in a row and will be fine.

You guys have helped me. I have been approved and and waiting for a date. But have been out for unexpected back problems. Hoping to get back to work soon. I've worked so hard Like 8-9 months of classes by the time I have surgery. I will use Fmla too. By faith ill have surgery in March.