Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My thoughts and prayers go out to lifesaveremt and all his family and friends. Truly sad. Everyone please be careful and take care of yourselves.

I was sleeved 3/13 and am still in the hospital ( frustrated to say the least)

lots of nausea and small amounts of vomiting. Started Wed as soon as I awoke and went on and on for hours on end. I wasn't able to get up and walk off the gas pains. They did the leak test the next morning and advise me that the top of sleeve is so narrow and is swollen shut ( no Fluid could go in) I would require a longer hospital stay...ugh.. I had the PCA pump for pain. They added two nausea meds to be alternated and also the patch. Had two more leak tests the next two days still with very little passage area for liquids, I was able get minimal Water in today. He started me on nutritional supplements through IV one bag last night and another just finished so I am now on 3rd bag. He wants me to try a shake in the am as it sounds like right now. I just want this swelling to go down so that I can go home!! He keeps extending the amount of days I will have to stay and says that more than likely I will go home with this picc line and have to be set up each night to receive these bags of supplements. possibly for two weeks. I am going crazy here. He is afraid that I will go home and get dehydrated very quickly and end up back in the hospital.. I sure hope no one else has to go through this kind of craziness. I was so full of fluids they had to add a diuretic via iv as well.. Finally feeling mu

DVT's are a possibility in any operation. They are even possible from long car rides or airplane rides. That's why they use the compression boots (at least my hospital did), and they want us to get up and walk as often as possible.

lots of nausea and small amounts of vomiting. Started Wed as soon as I awoke and went on and on for hours on end. I wasn't able to get up and walk off the gas pains. They did the leak test the next morning and advise me that the top of sleeve is so narrow and is swollen shut ( no Fluid could go in) I would require a longer hospital stay...ugh.. I had the PCA pump for pain. They added two nausea meds to be alternated and also the patch. Had two more leak tests the next two days still with very little passage area for liquids' date=' I was able get minimal Water in today. He started me on nutritional supplements through IV one bag last night and another just finished so I am now on 3rd bag. He wants me to try a shake in the am as it sounds like right now. I just want this swelling to go down so that I can go home!! He keeps extending the amount of days I will have to stay and says that more than likely I will go home with this picc line and have to be set up each night to receive these bags of supplements. possibly for two weeks. I am going crazy here. He is afraid that I will go home and get dehydrated very quickly and end up back in the hospital.. I sure hope no one else has to go through this kind of craziness. I was so full of fluids they had to add a diuretic via iv as well.. Finally feeling mu[/quote']

Sweet lady. Bless your heart!! I hope things start looking up for you very soon. Stay strong and keep us posted.

lots of nausea and small amounts of vomiting. Started Wed as soon as I awoke and went on and on for hours on end. I wasn't able to get up and walk off the gas pains. They did the leak test the next morning and advise me that the top of sleeve is so narrow and is swollen shut ( no Fluid could go in) I would require a longer hospital stay...ugh.. I had the PCA pump for pain. They added two nausea meds to be alternated and also the patch. Had two more leak tests the next two days still with very little passage area for liquids' date=' I was able get minimal Water in today. He started me on nutritional supplements through IV one bag last night and another just finished so I am now on 3rd bag. He wants me to try a shake in the am as it sounds like right now. I just want this swelling to go down so that I can go home!! He keeps extending the amount of days I will have to stay and says that more than likely I will go home with this picc line and have to be set up each night to receive these bags of supplements. possibly for two weeks. I am going crazy here. He is afraid that I will go home and get dehydrated very quickly and end up back in the hospital.. I sure hope no one else has to go through this kind of craziness. I was so full of fluids they had to add a diuretic via iv as well.. Finally feeling mu[/quote']

I am so sorry to hear this! Wow...i cant even imagine how scary this all is for you. I was also sleeved 3/13 & feel fortunate I didnt hv any issues except my 1st day ( yesterday) to start Protein Shakes I ended up with diarrhea the entire day! I was afraid to eat anything at all for fear I couldn't leave the house or that something might be seriously wrong. today was a better day for me and I finally feel hopeful. my thoughts and prayers go out to you that you may recover quickly, all the swelling goes down and you get home to begin the new you! Stay strong and no the doctor knows best and if he has to keep you longer than that's what needs to be done. Many hugs!

Just a note about blood clots. They're a possibility of this surgery. So are other complications. A lot of people are second guessing having this surgery because someone on this forum died. Well guess what. Being fat has a lot of complications too. People die every day from heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, and sleep apnea.

It's terrible what happened to lifesaveremt, and my heart is heavy for his family. But I personally know three different people who died in the last two years, who were younger than 50, and all three were a result of being obese. Don't let hearing about one person's misfortune sway you from getting healthy, ~especially~ if you have a high BMI.

I don't have any statistics, but I'd venture to guess that my 5 year mortality rate as a guy with a bmi of 47.5 is worse than my mortality rate as a guy having this surgery and significantly lowering my bmi, even factoring in death as a possible complication of surgery. My bmi is now already down to 44.5. It will keep going down month after month as I get healthier. As my bmi goes down, so does my risk for all of those fat-person co-morbidities that would eventually kill me. It's something to keep in perspective when we hear of a fatality due to surgery.

Good luck to all the March sleevers!

Just a note about blood clots. They're a possibility of this surgery. So are other complications. A lot of people are second guessing having this surgery because someone on this forum died. Well guess what. Being fat has a lot of complications too. People die every day from heart attacks, strokes, diabetes, and sleep apnea.

It's terrible what happened to lifesaveremt, and my heart is heavy for his family. But I personally know three different people who died in the last two years, who were younger than 50, and all three were a result of being obese. Don't let hearing about one person's misfortune sway you from getting healthy, ~especially~ if you have a high BMI.

I don't have any statistics, but I'd venture to guess that my 5 year mortality rate as a guy with a bmi of 47.5 is worse than my mortality rate as a guy having this surgery and significantly lowering my bmi, even factoring in death as a possible complication of surgery. My bmi is now already down to 44.5. It will keep going down month after month as I get healthier. As my bmi goes down, so does my risk for all of those fat-person co-morbidities that would eventually kill me. It's something to keep in perspective when we hear of a fatality due to surgery.

Good luck to all the March sleevers!

Pepper Paul,you are absolutely correct,my prayers are with his family buy everyday life is a risk,one lady told me to turn around don't go,I said to her nothing you can say can change my mind,I want me own experience,she going home a loose 100+lbs while I still be 221.I think not.all we can do is ask God to go in with us......

WHERE ARE MY MARCH 19TH SLEEVERS... ARE YOU READY.. OR ARE YOU READY!!!!!! lol Why am i not freaking out yet? Or nervous?

Anyways good luck everyone! :-)

Oh Boy! Scratch my last post. RIP Lifesaveremt... Prayers go out to his family. Good Luck to everyone having surgery in the next couple of days.

I'm sorry that lifesavermt's journey with us was so short. My prayers and heart go out to his family and friends.

For me, this was a reminder of what can happen, however for me, not a deterrent. I agree that if I don't do this, my life is going to start going down hill fast. This surgery is my lease on a new life. I know there are risks, and I plan to do everything I can to prevent them becoming a problem for my family as well.

That being said, I have some good news, and in light of the somber mood I have been hesitant to share.

I have now completed 1 week of my pre op, liquid diet. i weighed myself this morning and have lost 13 pounds! SO excited! That means this is getting real!

Eight days until my surgery. I am counting the days.

I'm sending up prayers for all those getting sleeved in the next few days.

I will attempt to get another update to the list out tomorrow morning when I get home from work.