Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just above the incision (I only have one), above my belly button, I can feel a marble-sized knot, and it's driving me crazy. I have a post-op next Friday, but I'm worried until then. What do you think it is? Is it scar tissue? Did they leave something crazy in me after they glued my skin together? Is it a lump? I feel like I'm at a loss.

Just let me know if you have experienced anything like this.

I had this also above the large incision. I had a dent in that area from right after surgery. It went away after a month or so. No worries it goes down :)

Its most likely your internal stitches. I had the same thing after my gallbladder surgery and also when I had surgery on my ankle. It goes down after a while.

I had my surgery Jan 5th and discovered I had that, too. I freaked out, thinking it was an umbilical hernia, but according to my Dr's office, it's scar tissue + tight sutures, and should be gone within three months. It also hurt a bit at first-- but it stopped when I left it alone and stopped touching it.

Yup, scar tissue or stitches. The farther out you are, the more it's likely scar tissue. Once you're farther out, you can massage it a bit to break down the scar tissue. Don't do that if it's painful or swollen right now. Bring it to your doc's attention but it's unlikely that it's a real issue.

My "dissolving" stitches never dissolve and usually get pushed out of the area on their own, and this made a lump, too.

~Cheri

Omgosh. I'm so glad you posted this. I am 3 weeks out today and have this under my big incision. I didn't notice it before but now I am having sharp pains there (enough to bring tears to my eyes) and its the size of a big gumball. Cheri, you say it's common? With the pains should I call the surgeon's office or is it ok to wait until my appointment next Wednesday? Thanks for the advice.

Hi Mommybo,

I am not having any pain, I just have the knot. Are you touching it/pushing on it? Have you tried reducing the amount of strain on your abs? (Pushing yourself up instead of pulling yourself with your abdomen).

If it really hurts, you should consider talking to a doctor.

it's not tender to touch, and i'm not touching or pushing on it. i get sharp pains there when i move a certain way. and it just comes out of no where. it's not a particular way or postition that i move, it's any random change in position. and it always hurts when i bend over.

I had my sleeve surgery too about 13 days ago, yesterday i too noticed a golf ball size knot and lump (Very tender to touch) (Painfull when touched) just above my belly button, called my Dr.s office, there closing early today and is 65 miles away so no good going there, he said if i'm worried, go to nearest emerg. room. or see you Monday, today is wed before thanksgiving,,, wife says if it was bad, Dr. would have said GO TO EMERG. room, not if your worried?, what do you think?. Worried that somethings wrong?

I had my sleeve surgery too about 13 days ago, yesterday i too noticed a golf ball size knot and lump (Very tender to touch) (Painfull when touched) just above my belly button, called my Dr.s office, there closing early today and is 65 miles away so no good going there, he said if i'm worried, go to nearest emerg. room. or see you Monday, today is wed before thanksgiving,,, wife says if it was bad, Dr. would have said GO TO EMERG. room, not if your worried?, what do you think?. Worried that somethings wrong?

You should have it checked. It should not be bigger than the size of a marble, usually the size of a pea. It should be sore and tender but not painful. It's from sutures. If it's a golfball size you may have something else going on. Listen to your wife. It my be nothing but don't take a chance.

I had that exp as well. In my case it was not a hernia as I thought. It was swelling, i was two weeks out, it has gotten better...good luck!

Cris