Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Amount of hair loss...

I now this may be just "ugg" but just had to post. I am 4 months post op and today when i went to blow dry my hair, all this came out. I was just curious how much my fellow sleevers was losing.

post-43778-13813662291887_thumb.jpg

I am losing like crazy too! I lose alot in the shower... waiting on the drain to clog any day now!

I cut my hair in an interesting pixie cut... it looks like the lady in the movie dinner for schmucks. Saw her hair and fell in love! My hair was just beyond my shoulders and was getting supper thin looking in the front. When my hair is short it has a slight wave and body to it. Now it doesn't look as thin.

Figured I will keep it short for about a year, then try to regrow it.

Oh and I'm 3 months out.

Hair loss is something I am worried about as my hair is naturally thin anyway. My NUT says Protein is the best tool against hair loss, but it seems that almost everyone has experienced it, regardless of protein intake. What levels of protein were you each taking in?

Do either of you take Biotin?

I take Biotin, my Hair loss started at 2 months post op and is still going strong. I had very thick hair but I am still shocked I have any hair left as much as I have had fall out. Everyone says that it is normal and it will stop and grow back but I am getting pretty worried. I have my 4 month follow up on the 30th and i really will be looking for better answers than I have been getting so far. I saw Aveda has a new product out for hair loss that is very expensive and I am thinking of trying that.

I am losing like crazy too! I lose alot in the shower... waiting on the drain to clog any day now!

I cut my hair in an interesting pixie cut... it looks like the lady in the movie dinner for schmucks. Saw her hair and fell in love! My hair was just beyond my shoulders and was getting supper thin looking in the front. When my hair is short it has a slight wave and body to it. Now it doesn't look as thin.

Figured I will keep it short for about a year' date=' then try to regrow it.

Oh and I'm 3 months out.[/quote']

Just curious,have you always taken your Vitamins?

I'm kinda glad I won't have to worry about this. My mom is about to start chemo for non Hodgkins lymphoma, and when she looses her hair I'm shaving all mine off and donating it!

Cudos to you fallingwhisper! What a brave decision you have made! Thank you for doing this for cancer patients out there. Without your hair someone might go without a wig. Again THANK YOU!!!!!!

I will be 6 months tomorrow and the loss is slowing down...started at about 3 months.

At first it was awful but is getting less and less as time goes by...I take all of my Vitamins and get my Protein in.

I personally think it hasn't been too bad plus it's winter so hats are in!!!

I have been losing hair like crazy ...I thought. I wash my hair every other day and a lot comes out in the shower, it sheds during the day and I have to keep a lint roller around. When I do my hair in the morning a lot falls into the sink that I have to clean out.

That is a lot more than comes out at once for me, though. I could probably collect that much in several days.

Omg! That picture is terrifying. I am 7.5 months out, I started losing hair around the 3rd month. I had a emotional break down last month because I was losing at my crown and widows peak area,(seeing scalp!) and I noticed my side part was getting bare. Happy to announce that just this week that its drastically slowing down! I have super straight hair down to my mid back. It would come out about 10 hairs at a time when I run my fingers through, now its more like 2. I can even see some regrowth/fine baby hair at my side part. If this is the worst thing to happen as a result of this surgery....then I'll gladly accept it. :-) Hang in there Ladies, it gets better.

Cudos to you fallingwhisper! What a brave decision you have made! Thank you for doing this for cancer patients out there. Without your hair someone might go without a wig. Again THANK YOU!!!!!!

You're welcome. And thanks for the support! I hear a lot of 'you'll look like a lesbian' comments, it's nice to hear some encouragement!

I now this may be just "ugg" but just had to post. I am 4 months post op and today when i went to blow dry my hair' date=' all this came out. I was just curious how much my fellow sleevers was losing.[/quote']

Same happend to me.... I cut it and good hair deep conditioner, plus Biotin 5,000 mgr @ day and now i am 7 months and is coming back!!

Just curious' date='have you always taken your Vitamins?[/quote']

Yes I take my Vitamins daily. And no I don't take Biotin. I read negative reviews about high levels of it and I order to see results you have to take it in high doses.

This is not strictly related to vsg, but I have been having heavy hair loss for about a year. Strangely, after the surgery (two weeks ago yesterday) that has drastically reduced. I thought about what had changed, did some googling, and am pretty sure the falling hair was because my doctor put me on heavy doses of statins when my diabetes was diagnosed. I had been on them already because I had high cholestorol, but she doubled them.

Anyway, if you google, it seems pretty obvious that statins do cause hair loss; although doctors don't warn you about it, the FDA apparently acknowledges it. I stopped taking the statins after the surgery because I wanted to see what my cholestorol was a month out without them, and the Hair loss has almost stopped completely. Huge relief to me, I went from having super thick hair to being able to see my scalp, and anticipating being almost bald when the sleeve related hair loss set in.

I figure a lot of us out there have high cholestorol, anyone else notice hair loss from the date of statin usage?