Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Water hurts to drink

I'm having trouble just drinking. I take medicine and I'm doing okay with the thicker fluids. Two tsp at a time of elexer doesn't hurt but a sip of Water or propel hurts. Will this get better? Should I try warm Water or tea or broth instead?

~Sabrina

I'm having trouble just drinking. I take medicine and I'm doing okay with the thicker fluids. Two tsp at a time of elexer doesn't hurt but a sip of Water or propel hurts. Will this get better? Should I try warm Water or tea or broth instead?

~Sabrina

Hi Sabrina.

I would at least try each one of them to see if any of them is going to work. Definitely try to make the tea caffeine free. Chamomile tea has a soothing effect, and even tastes good poured over ice.

If any of them has the same effect/pain that water has, try it at the opposite temperature to see if your tummy has a preference for warm or cold liquids. It will at least help eliminate what your new tummy doesn't like.

Hope this helps.

I couldn't drink Water or anything cold for a week or so after surgery. Hot chammomile tea was how I survived the first few days. I'm a little over 3 weeks post op and I can drink cold water again now, and I can actually take several normal sized sips at a time. It gets better.

I would try some warm liquids, de-caf tea/soup and see if they go down easier. Your stomach is swollen, the heat may help. I also used a heating pad and took tylenol (crushed or liquid) that seemed to help so much more than the pain medication I was prescribed.

Good luck, it will get better over the next few days.

You're probably just extra swollen after the surgery, it will get better soon, but in the mean time, experiment with different temperatures like others have suggested. Also, for some reason a lot of us find that plain Water is harder to drink that water with something in it - tea (non-caffeinated), crystal light, etc. I was always a big water drinker pre-op (gave me that full feeling), and I never put anything in it. I hated artificial sweeteners. But, just a little bit in my water post-op made it easier to get down. It's not the flavor, I read it has something to do with changing the viscosity of the liquid. Now I carry a little squirt bottle of Mio everywhere, though at 18 months I'm beginning to transition back to plain water. For the longest time it just kind of went "kerplunk" in my tummy.

I think you're fine with tea as long as it's herbal - it's the caffeine that dehydrates you, and black teas can be more acidic and harder on your healing tummy too.

I live by teas and tisanes (herbal teas). My sleeve hates plain Water and hates anything cold.

You're probably just extra swollen after the surgery' date=' it will get better soon, but in the mean time, experiment with different temperatures like others have suggested. Also, for some reason a lot of us find that plain Water is harder to drink that Water with something in it - tea (non-caffeinated), crystal light, etc. I was always a big water drinker pre-op (gave me that full feeling), and I never put anything in it. I hated artificial sweeteners. But, just a little bit in my water post-op made it easier to get down. It's not the flavor, I read it has something to do with changing the viscosity of the liquid. Now I carry a little squirt bottle of Mio everywhere, though at 18 months I'm beginning to transition back to plain water. For the longest time it just kind of went "kerplunk" in my tummy.

I think you're fine with tea as long as it's herbal - it's the caffeine that dehydrates you, and black teas can be more acidic and harder on your healing tummy too.[/quote']

This sounds exactly like what I'm dealing with. Like a cracker that went down sodeways. I have done my chewable Vitamins with no issues. It's the cold water that's the issue. I'm doing better with the herbal tea.

~Sabrina

You're probably just extra swollen after the surgery' date=' it will get better soon, but in the mean time, experiment with different temperatures like others have suggested. Also, for some reason a lot of us find that plain Water is harder to drink that Water with something in it - tea (non-caffeinated), crystal light, etc. I was always a big water drinker pre-op (gave me that full feeling), and I never put anything in it. I hated artificial sweeteners. But, just a little bit in my water post-op made it easier to get down. It's not the flavor, I read it has something to do with changing the viscosity of the liquid. Now I carry a little squirt bottle of Mio everywhere, though at 18 months I'm beginning to transition back to plain water. For the longest time it just kind of went "kerplunk" in my tummy.

I think you're fine with tea as long as it's herbal - it's the caffeine that dehydrates you, and black teas can be more acidic and harder on your healing tummy too.[/quote']

That's good to know because I have always been a big water drinker too. No carbonated beverages just mostly plain water or iced tea. I'm 1 week out and have found myself not wanting just water very much. I use mio or drink sobe life waters. This is definitely different than before and I'm not sure I like the change. I hope given time, I can go back to my plain water drinking.

After I drink or eat it seems my throat feels full.I'm a week and a half post op I know I need to drink eat less but what is normal amounts? like 2 oz liquid every how much time?

weight.png

After I drink or eat it seems my throat feels full.I'm a week and a half post op I know I need to drink eat less but what is normal amounts? like 2 oz liquid every how much time?

My dr indicated 1-2 ozs every 15 mins.

ok I am kinda rushing it I think. I feel like I run out of time each day getting fluids in because of the half needing to be Water. I stay up late to get it all in!! Thanks

weight.png

i used to be able to drink Water right from the machine with no ice. since the surgery have to have my drinks either HOT or COLD with ice. no in between!

good thing i had my ice maker fixed last week

ok I am kinda rushing it I think. I feel like I run out of time each day getting fluids in because of the half needing to be Water. I stay up late to get it all in!! Thanks

What do you mean half? I'm struggling to get 64 oz of Water ea day. Finally able to handle all temperatures but small sips is all I can manage and only of flavored drinks. 2 oz every 15 mins is VERY difficult. I can't do anything else. I have to eat every three hours between 7 and 7. I have to stop drinking 20 minutes before and can't drink an hour after and it takes me a good 20-30 mins to eat. I usually take one small nap since I'm only 6 days post-op, and I've been going to bed by 9. Last night I had my first battle with being sick. Fortunately I didn't throw up, but I over-did my day. Went shopping with a girl-friend then remembered I had to take my Mom to wal-mart. A 7 hour outing. I had Soup from a local deli that was sweet enough to strain it and measure it. A McDonald's snack size yogurt- sans the fruit or granola because I didn't pack a lunch. My besto was proud of me for finding options while out, but my body hated me last night. All day I was sipping propel but I went to bed with just 40 oz yesterday. I want to go back to work week after next - I'm hoping this part is better or I'm going to have to figure out a hands free method of drinking lol.

~Sabrina