Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss and my non WLS friends...

Im not sure how I should feel about this but I kinda of feel annoyed by it, Im getting sick of hearing from some of them when they see how much I have lost in # of lbs that they better start busting there butts because I am going to pass them up... I guess I can take it as a compliment, but it gets annoying that I to am working my butt of here to shed the lbs and if I am doing what I am supposed to be doing to get the lbs to come off and I pass you up is not my fault. This is coming from some of my Non WLS friends who have been losing weight on their own for over a year and doing a wonderful job at it and I couldnt be happier for them, but I just dont like hearing them say well you are going to pass me up all the time. oh well guess I just needed to vent hehe!

It sounds as if they are beginning to envy your success. And may not know how to handle the changes they see in you. You could just blow it off or reply with something like' you better get with it then, cause I am ON FIRE! " Just pat yourself on the back for your accomplishments, Good luck!

I understand!!!!!!! My daughter is trying to lose weight after having a baby and we have been encouraging each other to eat healthy and exercise. However she keeps sneaking in snide remarks about how I will lose weight even if I don't exercise or eat healthy because I "cheated and had surgery". I understand where her mind is..and the envy...and the no clue how hard it is when your older..thus I don't kill her.......but sometimes I want to.

OMG. I wish I had a buck for each person who said something similar. The good news is, most of them eventually get used to you at the new weight and lighten up.

Lynda

I wish I had that problem.

All but one friend have left my side. As soon as I passed their weigh there when the friendship!

I have the one friend left whom is about 140lbs. Since I'm not there yet she is still my friend. I expect her to leave and not be my friend once I pass her. Just assume its going to happen I guess.

I wish I had that problem.

All but one friend have left my side. As soon as I passed their weigh there when the friendship!

I have the one friend left whom is about 140lbs. Since I'm not there yet she is still my friend. I expect her to leave and not be my friend once I pass her. Just assume its going to happen I guess.

I am sorry to hear this, I hope that does not happen to me how ever if it does then they truly where never really my friend to start with.

OMG. I wish I had a buck for each person who said something similar. The good news is, most of them eventually get used to you at the new weight and lighten up.

Lynda

I should put a dollar away everytime I hear it or see it lol it could buy me some new clothes that fit lol. I think as time goes on it will slow down. I hope!

It's annoying. If you search hard enough you'll find some old threads about losing "friends" throughout the process. Women can be very mean and very competitive. And I think that every one of us has one "friend" in our lives that isn't a true friend and is in our lives for reasons of their own.

Losing weight or making any other big change in your life can make even your close, genuine friends insecure. It's part of the process. They're either going to realize this is for good and get over their own insecurities, or they won't and you'll have conflict and more comments in the future. There's no way to know.

All I can say is that if they aren't genuine friends and can't be happy for and with you (once they adjust to the idea of a new you), then it's perfectly okay to dump that baggage the same way you're dumping the excess weight. Changing your lifestyle and cleaning out your emotional closet is the perfect time to clear out toxic people in your life, if they're hiding in there somewhere.

If you're not letting them know it annoys you or bothers you, they don't know it. Or at least they can pretend they don't know it. Confront the issue if it gets bad enough, but otherwise, hang in there and I hope everyone adjusts soon. The people close to us sort of tag along on parts of our journey, whether they expect to or not and it can be a challenge for them to adjust.

~Cheri

It's annoying. If you search hard enough you'll find some old threads about losing "friends" throughout the process. Women can be very mean and very competitive. And I think that every one of us has one "friend" in our lives that isn't a true friend and is in our lives for reasons of their own.

Losing weight or making any other big change in your life can make even your close, genuine friends insecure. It's part of the process. They're either going to realize this is for good and get over their own insecurities, or they won't and you'll have conflict and more comments in the future. There's no way to know.

All I can say is that if they aren't genuine friends and can't be happy for and with you (once they adjust to the idea of a new you), then it's perfectly okay to dump that baggage the same way you're dumping the excess weight. Changing your lifestyle and cleaning out your emotional closet is the perfect time to clear out toxic people in your life, if they're hiding in there somewhere.

If you're not letting them know it annoys you or bothers you, they don't know it. Or at least they can pretend they don't know it. Confront the issue if it gets bad enough, but otherwise, hang in there and I hope everyone adjusts soon. The people close to us sort of tag along on parts of our journey, whether they expect to or not and it can be a challenge for them to adjust.

~Cheri

Thanks Cheri!! Yea yesterday I got to the point where I mentioned it bothering me and how I wished people would stop saying it and that I am only doing what I am supposed to be doing! so I think the comments might stop, at least I hope so, only the future can tell! :)