Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well surgery is in 10 days and part of me keeps feeling sad that I won't be able to eat... And it makes me frustrated at myself..... Today I felt like I wanted to eat everything although I didn't I still went over my calories which made me mad

At me again lol some days I feel great about this whole Journey... others I'm like what am I doing and I'm gonna miss out on all this food like that's all there is in life or something lol ugh!!

Those are normal feelings leading up to the surgery, we all went through them. What you need to focus on is why you are getting the surgery, isn't being healthy more important than eating junk. It get's easier, good luck.

I have literally cried at this same thought. I too, doubted if I wanted to do this... but then I just have to remember that being THAT obsessed over food is what got me here... FAT. I want to lose weight more than anything so I know that Im making the right decision. I have never heard anyone say they've regretted surgery and your feelings toward food will change (from what Ive heard, Im still pre-op) I think we've all had a grieving process over food.

I think it makes it worse my other half thinks in six weeks it'd back to normal

And I can eat and I try to tell him this Is a forever thing here.... He's very supportive I just don't think he really grasps everything

YOU ARE NOT GOING TO MISS OUT!

About a week after surgery, I was making dinner for my family. Unfortunately, it was my favorite meal, spaghetti. I kept feeling sad that I wouldn't ever be able to eat spaghetti again. Then, I had to remind myself that I would be able to eat spaghetti. I would eat one, sleeved-sized serving, and I would be SATISFIED. I wouldn't eat a huge plate plus three pieces of bread, two sodas and possibly seconds.

There are many people who stay on a strict high Protein / low carb diet. I think people who are strict, lose weight more quickly. BUT there are many of us here that eat more normally, but in smaller portions. I am almost 7 months out and down 75lbs, and my diet has definitely changed. I do eat my Protein first, veggies second and any carbs/sweets third. I do this because it is part of my new healthy lifestyle. I still have my favorite foods regularly, but I do what I can to make them healthier and eat a much smaller portion. I don't feel like I am missing out AT ALL.

Let me give you some examples...

I bought a box of Girl Scout Cookies yesterday. A year ago, that box (maybe two) would be gone by the end of the day. This year, I haven't even opened the box. When I do, I might eat one or two every other day. My SO will probably finish off most of the box.

I have a box of Valentine's chocolates right now. I had one last night. The box is sitting on my desk. I have no desire to down ten of them at a time like I did last year.

You know the skinny girl at the restaurant that only eats half the food on her plate while you clean your plate? That is me. I used to be so jealous of the people who didn't feel as though they had to clean their plates. It feels so great to push half or two-thirds of my meal into a to-go box. I have no regrets because I had a few bites of everything I wanted and am fully satisfied.

I actually crave fresher foods and non-fried foods. I would have never thought it would happen.

I don't want breads or high carb foods because they take up too much room in my stomach. I want to fill it with healthy food. I used to eat a lot of bread because I knew I could still shovel in food after the bread. Now, I know it won't fit. I might have one or two bites of bread if it is something I really want.

About a week after surgery' date=' I was making dinner for my family. Unfortunately, it was my favorite meal, spaghetti. I kept feeling sad that I wouldn't ever be able to eat spaghetti again. Then, I had to remind myself that I would be able to eat spaghetti. I would eat one, sleeved-sized serving, and I would be SATISFIED. I wouldn't eat a huge plate plus three pieces of bread, two sodas and possibly seconds.

There are many people who stay on a strict high Protein / low carb diet. I think people who are strict, lose weight more quickly. BUT there are many of us here that eat more normally, but in smaller portions. I am almost 7 months out and down 75lbs, and my diet has definitely changed. I do eat my Protein first, veggies second and any carbs/sweets third. I do this because it is part of my new healthy lifestyle. I still have my favorite foods regularly, but I do what I can to make them healthier and eat a much smaller portion. I don't feel like I am missing out AT ALL.

I bought a box of Girl Scout Cookies yesterday. A year ago, that box (maybe two) would be gone by the end of the day. This year, I haven't even opened the box. When I do, I might eat one or two every other day. My SO will probably finish off most of the box.

I have a box of Valentine's chocolates right now. I had one last night. The box is sitting on my desk. I have no desire to down ten of them at a time like I did last year.

You know the skinny girl at the restaurant that only eats half the food on her plate while you clean your plate? That is me. I used to be so jealous of the people who didn't feel as though they had to clean their plates. It feels so great to push half or two-thirds of my meal into a to-go box. I have no regrets because I had a few bites of everything I wanted and am fully satisfied.

I actually crave fresher foods and non-fried foods. I would have never thought it would happen.

I don't want breads or high carb foods because they take up too much room in my stomach. I want to fill it with healthy food. I used to eat a lot of bread because I knew I could still shovel in food after the bread. Now, I know it won't fit. I might have one or two bites of bread if it is something I really want.[/quote']

Nice!!! This is so inspirational...and my surgery is on Wednesday and I really needed to hear this now. Thank you for a great reminder... I appreciate it!

Don't know about the rest of you but my surgeon only did stomach surgery, not brain surgery. Once a foodie, always a foodie. I still love food even at 28+ months out. Yes, watch food Network and cook up a storm. I just eat smaller satisfying portions. Now, this is a double edged sword being a friend. Easy to go overboard and graze.

I admit, food was my secret (not so secret) friend who I went to for all celebrations, disappointments and boredom. You need to deal with this PRIOR to surgery so you don't break down in front of a buffet like I did a few weeks after surgery bemoaning that I would never gorge again. And I won't.

No one says promises this VSG journey will be easy, WLS is never a cake walk (pun) but I know almost everyone will agree VSG was a good choice. Here, we will hug and cheerlead you on to your many victories ahead.

I love my sleeve and have no regrets.

I'm not one to go to a buffet and gorge so it's not the gorging part I'm worried about in fact I hate buffet style... I'm just a carb junky..... I know there are some foods that I enjoy that I could not be able to tolerate after and that makes me sad not the eat all I want all the time feeling because honestly I don't eat ALOT I just eat high calorie foods....

I'm not one to go to a buffet and gorge so it's not the gorging part I'm worried about in fact I hate buffet style... I'm just a carb junky..... I know there are some foods that I enjoy that I could not be able to tolerate after and that makes me sad not the eat all I want all the time feeling because honestly I don't eat ALOT I just eat high calorie foods....

There are very few foods that I can't tolerate. I don't do well with ice cream. If I only eat a few bites after a meal, I am fine. I also can't make a meal out of falafel. I think it is too dense/dry. Everyone is different in what they can tolerate. Sleeve surgery isn't like gastric bypass. You will still be able to enjoy most of the same things. Hopefully, you'll be pleasantly surprised how much your tastes change. I don't crave carbs the same way I did before surgery. It took several months for it to go away, but it has.

About a week after surgery' date=' I was making dinner for my family. Unfortunately, it was my favorite meal, spaghetti. I kept feeling sad that I wouldn't ever be able to eat spaghetti again. Then, I had to remind myself that I would be able to eat spaghetti. I would eat one, sleeved-sized serving, and I would be SATISFIED. I wouldn't eat a huge plate plus three pieces of bread, two sodas and possibly seconds.

I don't want breads or high carb foods because they take up too much room in my stomach. I want to fill it with healthy food. I used to eat a lot of bread because I knew I could still shovel in food after the bread. Now, I know it won't fit. I might have one or two bites of bread if it is something I really want.[/quote']

This is such an insightful post...its giving me hope for a semi normal life with the sleeve

Well I understand where u are coming from. I would recommend to do some more detailed reading regarding the surgery because I think there is a lot of misunderstanding .

The bottom line here is your body will change your eating habit will change its only a tool...you will be able to eat your favorite food but with moderation. End of day it's your choice your life but personally going thru this surgery 7 days ago I feel like a new person and its the best decision of my life.

Think it like why you need to eat 3 -5 plates of carbs to be able to enjoy the dish you will be able to enjoy it with a few bites and be full. All of us people have been there done that its time for the change no one in the world can help you if you don't wanna help Yourself.I am sorry for being tough but its just the reality... Good Luck.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using VST

I'm with you Sunny! I had the same fears / sad feeling as the OP before I had surgery, but not once after. I love how satisfied I feel after eating.

I'm glad you mentioned spaghetti, it made me remember how much I could eat: 2 heaping bowl, tons of bread, beer & dessert- oooof! I'm grossed out by the thought of that now. I never want to go back to that disgusting gluttony!

I'm a sleever who can tolerate all foods in small amounts, there isn't anything I miss since I can have whatever I want.

Girl! Im just like you... carbs are my THING. I love them so much and in all forms! UGH. And Im also the same in that I don't eat alot, just high calorie & bad for you foods. Luckily, Im starting my psych appts in a couple weeks & Im doing them early! This is the first month of my 6 month pre op diet. And will continue them throughout my 6 months (and hopefully after). Im really hoping that doing these appts will help me deal with my issues surrounding food. Also, I plan to start going to support groups. Im more worried about the mental side of all this than anything else. Its going to be HARD! Everything helps, including this site! :) We all have eachother who are going through the same things!

OH! And also! I just had an appt with my surgeon today and he explained to me that the part of the stomach they remove is the part that produces the hormone that makes you feel hungry. So you wont have that intense urge to eat anymore. Hopefully this will kind of ease your mind! :P

You will be able to eat, after all, if we couldnt we would die, what you will NOT be able to do is binge eat. Some things may be harder than others but consider this - you mentioned how you feel you might be losing out - how much life are we losing out on being so heavy? Is there not more to life than when is the next time we can have pizza?

I know you are not talking in such simple terms but my goal is to put it into perspective, not be taken super literally.