Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone!

I am new here. I have been in contact with Angeles Heath- Dr Juan Lopez Corvala for a Gastric Sleeve. However I started looking around on here and thought about contacting other surgeons in the TJ area. I contacted Dr. Ortiz and found out my BMI (74) was too high and that I had to drop almost 100 lbs before even being considered for surgery. Is that normal with other surgeons? I understand the risk are higher and I am willing to loose weight before the surgery however my BMI didn't seem as a huge concern while talking to the staff at Angeles Health. Has anyone else came across this? Thanks.

Welcome! I noticed in the Weight Loss Specific section just above this one, if you click on the 200+ lb to lose section, there's a thread specific to this topic. Looks like it was started by someone at a BMI of 70. I didn't go through all of it, but you'll probably find a lot of information there.

Best of luck to you!

Thanks you both. I'll check into that. =)

my BMI is 68 and i am getting sleeved on 2/8/2013 with Dr. Lopez. In Tj at MiDoctor hospital. it is 700 dollars more but he specializes in high BMI. I was referred to him from mexicali.

I was sleeved here in the US with a BMI of 46. When I went for my intial physical, it seemed like my doctor preferred that if your BMI was over 50, you were a better candidate for the RNY gastric bypass. If you notice, most of us who are on this forum have right around 100 lbs to lose. I'm not saying the sleeve won't work for someone over 50 BMI, but it seems like consensus in general is folks with BMI less than 50. That being said, it's a good tool for weight loss- I hope you are able to get your sleeve no matter what your BMI. Good luck!

-Kendra

Some doctors will not do it because they don't want to assume the higher risk involved with working on a larger patient and often the surgery is more difficult.

I've been in contact today with Rhonda from alighterme.com (Dr. Lopez) and Debra at weightnomoreconsulting.com (Dr Ponce De Leon). They were both really frinedly (of course) and helped me with my concerns regarding my high BMI and having the surgery. I filled out the medical questionnaires and I will see where it goes. I am hoping to have the surgery done in March. Which I've been informed that it is possible. With Dr. Lopez I can get under 70 BMI and have a slightly lower cost. =)

I was sleeved here in the US with a BMI of 46. When I went for my intial physical, it seemed like my doctor preferred that if your BMI was over 50, you were a better candidate for the RNY gastric bypass. If you notice, most of us who are on this forum have right around 100 lbs to lose. I'm not saying the sleeve won't work for someone over 50 BMI, but it seems like consensus in general is folks with BMI less than 50. That being said, it's a good tool for weight loss- I hope you are able to get your sleeve no matter what your BMI. Good luck!

-Kendra

As more data comes in on the sleeve, it's replacing RNY even in higher bmi patients since it seems to have the same success rates over the long term as RNY. The good thing about the sleeve in a high BMI patient is that it still leaves the option for the Duadenal switch which is more powerful than the RNY.

As more data comes in on the sleeve' date=' it's replacing RNY even in higher bmi patients since it seems to have the same success rates over the long term as RNY. The good thing about the sleeve in a high BMI patient is that it still leaves the option for the Duadenal switch which is more powerful than the RNY.[/quote']

Right. The Sleeve was stage one to the DS to get dangerously high BMI patients down to a safer level b4 completing the DS. However, the success with the sleeve alone was unexpectedly a huge stand alone success that it is what it is today.

Amanda Rae

My BMI is at 63, so very high as well. I'm not required to lose a certain amount before surgery, but my pre op is a lot longer (10 weeks) where the usual is 4 with my surgeon.

I've been in contact today with Rhonda from alighterme.com (Dr. Lopez) and Debra at weightnomoreconsulting.com (Dr Ponce De Leon). They were both really frinedly (of course) and helped me with my concerns regarding my high BMI and having the surgery. I filled out the medical questionnaires and I will see where it goes. I am hoping to have the surgery done in March. Which I've been informed that it is possible. With Dr. Lopez I can get under 70 BMI and have a slightly lower cost. =)

I will be getting sleeved by Dr. Lopez on 3/18. My BMI is high too. 57, although I'm working it...

Amanda Rae

How tall are you Amanda?

5'9...

My BMI is at 63, so very high as well. I'm not required to lose a certain amount before surgery, but my pre op is a lot longer (10 weeks) where the usual is 4 with my surgeon.

Who is doing your surgery?