Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 Weeks after surgery, need advice!

Hi everyone,

I had my surgery last week on the 24th, and finally feel normal (aside from the itching!)

I've been eating (drinking) Miso Soup, Tomato Soup, broths, Water, diet iced tea, Protein Drink, and cottage cheese (just because i felt the need to have something "solid" once per day).

However, the past two days I've been feeling REALLY hungry at various points during the day, so then I panic that the band slipped or something. Did anyone else feel like that a week or so out from their surgery?

Next week, I guess i'm supposed to enter the more solid/puree'd stuff, and think that might help with the hunger, but I don't know what's normal or not.

Any advice???

:help:

LOU

Hi everyone,

I had my surgery last week on the 24th, and finally feel normal (aside from the itching!)

I've been eating (drinking) Miso Soup, Tomato Soup, broths, Water, diet iced tea, Protein drink, and cottage cheese (just because i felt the need to have something "solid" once per day).

However, the past two days I've been feeling REALLY hungry at various points during the day, so then I panic that the band slipped or something. Did anyone else feel like that a week or so out from their surgery?

Next week, I guess i'm supposed to enter the more solid/puree'd stuff, and think that might help with the hunger, but I don't know what's normal or not.

Any advice???

LOU

Hi LDM,

I know and feel your pain. you should be having something every 2 hours or so. I was on carnation instant Breakfast and I drank 4 oz every 2 hours and when I went to my mushy stage I would continue the Carnations, in between meals. I never got hungry until it came close to my first fill.

What is your typical day on the liquids? At this point in time I dont see anything wrong with the cottage cheese... I dont think you have slipped or anything like that. The Cottage chees is a good nutritious protien meal, especially in week 2. The reason you are probally still hungry is because you are not getting enough protien that is why I say every 2 hours. Also are you getting in your Water? you need at least 8 glasses of water per day this will also curve your hunger. I know it is hard, Good Luck you will be fine

Remember this is your healing stage and the doctors really dont expect any significant weight lose but they also dont want any weight gain either.

Good Luck and remember we are here for you

Vickie

Hi everyone,

I've been eating (drinking) Miso Soup, Tomato Soup, broths, Water, diet iced tea, Protein drink, and cottage cheese (just because i felt the need to have something "solid" once per day).

Any advice???

LOU

I am sure your band didn't slip. You have a layer of fat around your stomach...(like a roast would) when they band you, they usually put the band over the fat.....then the fat melts away and the band is "loose"

It would be like wearing a belt...on notch 3....you lose 10 lbs, and you still keep your belt on notch 3....its just gonna hover there. When you get a fill you'll be fine again.

Ask your doc about how the band is attached...most pull a piece of stomach over one part of it (wraps around the band sorta) so that the band cannot slip. That is how mine is on.

Best Wishes!!

I'm in a similar situation. I had my surgery on October 6 and went last Tuesday for my first fill but the Dr. could not find the port so I didn't get it. He sent me for an xray to make sure the band hadn't flipped, which it didn't, but even with the pictures he could find it - which meant a lot of needle sticks! I am going to the hospital next Wednesday and he will give me a fill using a floruscope (sp?). For the past 4 days I have been very hungry, especially yesterday, and find myself thinking about ways to cheat, which had not been happening. Even so, I've been able to keep it together, although last night I ate two granola bars. I feel no restriction at all and realize that my lack of hungry after surgery was probably because I was sore and swollen inside rather than restricted.

Even though I am somewhat nervous about having a fill and the possible difficulties eating after it, I am relieved that I will have one soon.

Be gentle with yourself - which is what I'm trying to do for myself as well.

When can we have lettuce, I am 3 wks from banding?

My dietician told me that we can have lettuce when we are on regular foods. I have been on regular foods but have been afraid to eat a salad.

I had my first fill yesterday...no problem....Tinkster......It went fine...didn't even hurt...and I felt the restriction as I walked out of his office. I had to do liquid yesterday...but am doing mushies today. The fill is great!!! Just like when I got out of the hospital....eat only a little...not starving...i had a cup of cream of brocc Soup today...was awsome to feel full!

This morning I had (lol) Gerber Rice with Bananas baby Cereal. For dinner I had about a cup of mac and cheese (nothing else mushie in the house) I am done eating for the day...yay!

Best wishes to you---you'll be great!!!

I am a Dr. Spivak patient too. I love him! I am 3 days post op and am not having too many issues with the soft food diet. I ate my first scrambled egg this morning with no problems.

What I cannot believe is the total 180 degree turnaround about my relationship with food. I was so scared I would feel like I was starving...but so far, that has not been the case at all. I was scared I would be obsessing over chicken fried steak or something... :) It's funny that I am eating 2-3 oz of food and it is filling me up!

Yippee! Another Dog lover!!! I LOVE Golden Retrievers! Never had one but always thought they were beautiful and would make a great companion. We have a min dachshund that is our dog-child. He's the sweetest...Just so you know, I am back to normal today from my surgery on 11/1. I just took it easy the rest of the week and weekend and I walked Deuce (dog) almost every day. I feel 99% today.

Woo Hoo! You can see our pups on our old website from before we retired breeding Goldens. www.shrRoyals.com

Glad you're recovering well. Dogs keep us healthy!

Funny. The last few days I went from eating and saying goodbye to everything I could fine, but then that seems to have stopped and I'm chewing more, taking fewer bites, kind of winding down to a more soup-laden diet. Just kind of rehearsing. Getting some peace. Ready for surgery a week from today.

Hi all. I was referred by a sweet lady, Angela, peaceseeker55, to post. I had my surgery on Tues. Nov 7 and can barely drink any liquids at all. This morning I held down maybe 5 0z total but have been vomitting all evening again. This has been the case for 5 days. The pain when drinking even tiny sips is killer and throwing up relieves the painful pressure. I know how bad this is for slippage but I can't help it. The Dr. took an exray and there was a small amt. of Fluid passing and he seemed happy with that. I am afraid of dehydration and lack of nutirients. I still can't even eat Jello and the Protein drinks are tough. Will this get better? Will I loosen up. Is there a med. that will help me? Any and all acvice welcome.

Monica :help: