Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Military/Reserves after surgery?

Obviously prior to surgery I was way too heavy to ever join the military. I'm an RN and will be finishing my bachelor's this fall which means I could enter the service as an officer. I'm tossing around the idea of Air Force or Navy reserves - just a weekend a month and two weeks in the summer. Anyone else considered this? Thoughts?

It was a thought for me at one point. to Join the marines. But just so i can get my loans paid off. I'm not really crazy about the military.

Itd kind of be the same deal for me - would love to have loans paid

lol... I was also thinking about the national guard... but idk if i can handle the military!

I was in the military for 8 years. Spent 4 years enlisted and did ROTC and got my commission. National Guard then regular army. I don't know if the Army would permit a post sleeve patient. In my day, the likely answer would have no. But that may have changed. I have a friend who is a recruiter. I just sent him a message on FB. I will post his response.

Thank you - look forward to hearing it. If im a year out at the point i dont see what it would hurt?

I agree. And today one of the big challenges recruiters face is that so many potentials recruits do not meet the entrance weight standards. This could help solve that issue.

The only place I could see an objection would be how it would effect a person's ability to deploy and operate in a war time environment. Eating "Meals Ready to Eat" instead of hot meals is the norm. From my perspective a person 12 months out should be fine. But I'm sure a doc would have to weigh in on that.

As soon as I hear I will post what the Recruiter tells me.

Hi there. My hubby just got off of a tour as a US Army recruiter so I feel somewhat qualified to help here. Bad news but weight loss surgery automatically medically disqualifies anyone from service. Active or reserves it doesn't matter. Our dietary and physical requirements are too complicated. Vitamins might be unavailable during certain situations (such as when overseas, missions, etc...), having to eat in a huge hurry, MRE's would be a huge no-no because they're full of carbs and crap, not being able to eat often enough because our meal portions are so much smaller, just to name a few reasons. Generally I think they just don't want to risk it. And in this economy where many many folks are trying to get in there are, unfortunately, no wavers. Unless you lie about having your surgery of course (which is bad please don't do that lol), but the folks at MEPS are pretty thorough and will find out. You can always talk to a recruiter though. Asking risks nothing and the worst he could say would be no. Good luck! =)

Sounds about right. I would have been stunned to learn anything different. The good news is as a nurse you have a great career. I admire you for wanting to serve and wish you the best in whatever you pursue.

Ok so I've been talking to recruiters and they think it may be waiverable - has anyone had any luck? Does anyone know someone who has had the sleeve and been waivered?

About anything can be waivered in the right situation. If the "needs of the service" are high enough you can get the waiver. Keep pressing them to help you.

I am curious as well, please keep us updated.

I am curious as well, please keep us updated.

That is a quite interesting question. I'm a physician and would join in a second. Unfortunately I am a bit sub-specialized and most likely not so useful. I nearly joined after med school, but was a smidge over the body fat limit. I guess I will just continue to support the wounded veterans groups.

For anyone whos curious or following this - I finally cornered the nurse recruiter and got to talk to him. He told me hes personally seen a bypass waived and has heard of others. He said of course type 2 diabetes or heart disease is a no go - told him i have zero health issues. Now to just get into shape as the weight keeps melting off!!