Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Never imagined the difficulty....

I was sleeved on November 5th 2012. So glad I have lost 52 lbs so far, but omg I never knew it was going to be so hard to eat. Doing the diet prior to surgery was so easy, now getting the shakes and Vitamins are so difficult. Everything I eat tastes so awful, and then when I make something that seems good, I eat less than 1/4 cup and I am no longer interested, like never again interested in the food I had just eaten. I've just become disgusted with food all together, its become such a hassle just to eat, mostly because its so uncomfortable to eat. I've changed Vitamin flavors several times and they all make me sick, the taste makes me sick. Protein Shakes are the same, trying new flavors and all just tasting horrible to me. I have even bought unflavored Protein to add to my crystal light drinks, but its not unflavored, I can so tell its been added and the flavor is disgusting. My sense of taste had always been rather sensitive, but it has increased even more so. I simply have no idea what I am going to do. I love that I'm loosing the weight, but before long my hair is going to fall out, and I'm going to lose energy to do anything. Currently I do Water aerobics, but I'm having a difficult time with energy to do much else. So frustrated, I just never thought it would be so hard......eating is not the same at all.

Yes, I can emphathize and have been through each and every emotion you describe. Me, a committed foodie was gagging watching others eat. Even watching food Network was out. Certain food smells made my new sleevie wonder roll like waves. I struggled with each bite and drink I forced down. Was ever so tired of sickenly sweet Protein drinks and food was no longer my friend. Truly I felt like goldilocks never finding that "just right."

Best advice I recieved? Hang in there, things change. Your appitite may change, your attitude towards food will change, you sense of taste/texture/smell will change.

Remember this is a journey and like life, your experience will change over time. Hugs - I hope one day (might be a couple of months) you too can proclaim as I do...I love my sleeve and have no regrets.

PS - as a mom of 5 boys I know you will survive this.

I feel the same.Haveing the same issues.You said it right on.I was sleeved on NOVEMBER 6th 2012.Down 43#.no regrets,just know I need to get more in.

This too shall pass. The discomfort you are feeling will pass. Likely your sensitivity to sights, smells, and tastes will wane as time goes on. Hang in there, it gets better! Truth be told, there are days I wish I was still disgusted by food the way I was in the beginning. It was so easy to only eat the right things because it was more or less a chore, rather than a pleasure. Now at six months out, I can eat anything and I have to fight myself not to pick up old habits.

I was sleeved on 9/17 & almost 70 pounds down. I can't really tolerate eggs & Water taste funny to me now. What I do is add crystal light, but not the whole amount because it tastes too sweet. Then it's good. I know that something I eat one day,may not agree with me the next time. I just go with the flow. I feel great & don't regret this decision for a minute. I hope you too will start to feel that way. Good luck on your journey. We're all here for each other...

Thank you so much for the replies, they all give me a little better prospective. Please know that I've never regretted this surgery, its just all the preparing I did for it never completely prepared me for this, it was never realized how hard it would be until after the fact. Hearing that in a matter of a couple months I will be able to eat normally is both hopeful and scary. I really love how quickly the weight is coming off and need to just be excited about that and not so concerned about the eating issues. My biggest thing currently is wanting to get my Vitamins and shakes in every day for my own health and well being. Thanks again so much guys, so glad to be able to express my worries and have people that listen and understand......the support is so reassuring!!!

Thank you so much for the replies' date=' they all give me a little better prospective. Please know that I've never regretted this surgery, its just all the preparing I did for it never completely prepared me for this, it was never realized how hard it would be until after the fact. Hearing that in a matter of a couple months I will be able to eat normally is both hopeful and scary. I really love how quickly the weight is coming off and need to just be excited about that and not so concerned about the eating issues. My biggest thing currently is wanting to get my Vitamins and shakes in every day for my own health and well being. Thanks again so much guys, so glad to be able to express my worries and have people that listen and understand......the support is so reassuring!!![/quote']

This forum is so great bec there's so much to learn..and hearing from another person personal experience is truly priceless. I hope you feel better, and thanks for sharing bec it gives an honest insight to the realities of wls --that I don't see in books nor hear much about. I wish you all the best and that things will get better for you. I'm scheduled on the 16th and praying for successful surgery, nervous, scared, and excited all at the same time. May God bless us all.

Wishing you the best on this. I had mine Dec 13 and am down 44 pounds and not having the issues you describe. Taste is more sensitive for sure as I'm eating much slower. For me, the challenge has been the food companion is now dead. I refuse to allow food to be more than nutrition at this point. It used to be a pal. Hoping you soon reach a better place in this!

I'm still a newbie and in the planning stages of my surgery. I have a question on drinking liquids after surgery.

I drink a lot of Water. Like I guzzle Water. But I know I won't be able to take my big gulps anymore. How much can you swallow at once? A tablespoon?

Also, in order to get enough Protein and stay hydrated, does this mean you have to constantly take drinks of what ever Fluid you have?

I'm not even sure if I should be posting on this topic but everyone here has had surgery already and has experience.

Thanks!

I never could take Vitamins on an empty stomach, always with milk or something. You may be that way too.

I was sleeved on November 5th 2012. So glad I have lost 52 lbs so far' date=' but omg I never knew it was going to be so hard to eat. Doing the diet prior to surgery was so easy, now getting the shakes and Vitamins are so difficult. Everything I eat tastes so awful, and then when I make something that seems good, I eat less than 1/4 cup and I am no longer interested, like never again interested in the food I had just eaten. I've just become disgusted with food all together, its become such a hassle just to eat, mostly because its so uncomfortable to eat. I've changed Vitamin flavors several times and they all make me sick, the taste makes me sick. Protein shakes are the same, trying new flavors and all just tasting horrible to me. I have even bought unflavored Protein to add to my crystal light drinks, but its not unflavored, I can so tell its been added and the flavor is disgusting. My sense of taste had always been rather sensitive, but it has increased even more so. I simply have no idea what I am going to do. I love that I'm loosing the weight, but before long my hair is going to fall out, and I'm going to lose energy to do anything. Currently I do Water aerobics, but I'm having a difficult time with energy to do much else. So frustrated, I just never thought it would be so hard......eating is not the same at all.[/quote']

I am almost 7 months out and 105 lbs down, right after I had this surgery every kind if Multi-Vitamin I tried made me throw up, I finally found one that does not. I buy them from Bariatric Choice.

post-31245-13813662216586_thumb.png

Sent from Gaye's iPad Mini using VST

I'm still a newbie and in the planning stages of my surgery. I have a question on drinking liquids after surgery.

I drink a lot of Water. Like I guzzle Water. But I know I won't be able to take my big gulps anymore. How much can you swallow at once? A tablespoon?

Also, in order to get enough Protein and stay hydrated, does this mean you have to constantly take drinks of what ever Fluid you have?

I'm not even sure if I should be posting on this topic but everyone here has had surgery already and has experience.

Thanks!

In the beginning you won't be able to drink more than the tiniest sip at a time. As the days go on, you'll be able to drink more and more. It will be a very slow but steady process. Now at six months out, I can pretty much guzzle water just like I used to pre-op.

It stinks, doesn't it? I mean, we had surgery so we could eat less but I think deep down, we expect that we'll eat less of things we enjoy the same way while reaping the benefits of the weight loss!

I wish! There are some folks that never have the taste change or have finicky sleeves but so many more of us go through exactly this phase.

And iegal is exactly right: hang in there and it will pass.

I did not really enjoy a meal until more than a year out. But before that I did get to a point where eating wasn't such a chore. I hated eating. And I developed lactose intolerance, so my "easy" Protein foods like yogurt and cottage cheese stopped being options early on. It was miserable.

But it does come back. Your tastes change and your standards get higher but you'll find yourself genuinely enjoying your tiny portion of a meal at some point. I can't say when, but it really will happen.

There are a few things you can do in the meantime. One, keep trying new Vitamins. Gummy vites are not the ideal but if that's what you can keep down right now, take those (and your other supplements) until you can handle the other ones. The multi that finally worked for me was a chewable prenatal Vitamin that I started taking more than a year before I got pregnant. I think it was the sixth or seventh multi I'd tried and it was the first one that didn't give me hours of nausea after taking it.

Two, do not force yourself to drink a Protein you hate. Keep trying new ones until you find the one you like. There is one out there if you try hard enough! I cannot even begin to count how many times I changed protein powders. The only brand that has hung in there the entire time and tasted good to me is the Syntrax nectar - I like the chocolate, vanilla, Cappuccino and unflavored versions. It's the only unflavored I've had that I really cannot taste or smell once it's mixed. Find what works for you. Find a site that sells samples so you can try many different things and track what you like. The Syntha-6 drinks by BSN have a higher calorie/carb profile but taste very good. You might find that in order to get to your protein goals you need to compromise with yourself and eat what works and keeps you happy. And mix with something other than milk - try almond milk, hemp milk, Water, tea, coffee...keep trying until you find what works for you.

Make your diet as varied as possible. Eating the same, boring foods day in and out, choking down unpleasant Protein shakes and feeling exhausted by eating will only make you feel run down, discouraged and depressed. If you're having Soup, make it spicy or different in some way. Introduce foods you might not have eaten prior to surgery to liven things up. Do you like quinoa? It digests quite easily and is a complete protein. If you don't use it already, it's easy to use it in place of rice in dish you used to enjoy. Get out there and find foods that you can eat and enjoy, or at least not hate.

This is a very normal part of the journey. It really does get easier.

~Cheri

That is a great post clk. I feel guilty, honestly, that nothing I have eaten has been an issue. I wonder sometimes if they just poked holes in me to make me feel like I had a sleeve? LOL. Protein powders were never my favorite when I played football or while I was in the Army training - but they are easy now. eggs, sushi, potatos, Soups, Chinese food (mostly just the chicken from the broccoli dish); Beans and rice at Mexican, and others all go down easy and have caused no issues. I log it all in MyFitPal and stay under 1000 calories in a day. Losing weight and feeling better than I have in years. I hope this course stays the same. And for all those I read who are struggling with eating I pray things improve quickly and fully!!