Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My surgery was two years ago

I had surgery two years ago with Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico. I wrote down everything that went in my mouth for a year. I kept my calories between 600-800, usually toward the lower end, until I reached goal. I also kept my carbs under 50 gms/daily. I reached my goal of 150 lbs on Nov. 18, 2011, ten months after surgery. I had thought that because I was 56, with hypothyroidism and MS, that I might lose more slowly but I was happy at the rate it came off. I swam a couple of times a week and ran a little bit but I was by no means a fitness fanatic--I wanted to be strong and healthy rather than ripped. I lost lots of hair from months 3-9 but it has all grown back now. I am 5'8" and weigh 136 lbs as of this morning and wear a size 6.

The difference between before surgery and now is like a miracle. I used to think about food all the time--thinking about what to eat for Breakfast as I was going to bed the night before! Now I have to remind myself to take something out of the freezer for dinner. I gave up pretty much all processed food--initially because I couldn't eat a whole Lean Cuisine and later because it was just easier to make a turkey burger or some shrimp to make sure I got all my Protein in. I still eat Protein first, but I also have wine occasionally, and cake, and candy, but they are treats and not something I have to have every day. I drink coffee daily, though, I couldn't give that up! I do not eat until I am full. I stopped making my portions larger in month 8 and now eat the same amount as I did then--3 oz lean meat, fish, or poultry and 1/3 cup green, red, or orange veg.

I take my multi-vit and Calcium citrate every day, B-12 twice a week, and my labs are stellar other than a little deficiency in my Iron stores due to the fact that I gave blood twice in the months right after surgery. My doc says I can't get enough Iron from food to give any away. I am a little sad about that because I used to be a regular donor.

My face looked really bad, with sagging jowls and cheeks, so I had a facelift a year ago. Yesterday, someone said I looked 35. I think he needed glasses, but I do look better that I did before the lift. I look great in clothes but naked my stomach has some sagging. my butt is flat, and my inner thighs are so wrinkly. I can live with them for now, I'm doing squats to try and firm up my glutes.

My cholesterol and blood pressure have come down and I feel fantastic. I can't tell you how freeing it is not to think about food all the time. If you are on the fence about this surgery, know that it worked for me and really, maintenance for me has been about keeping the good habits I made while losing.

Good Luck!

Hi Foxbins,

Congrats on your continued success! Sounds like you have a good journey and is so comforting to hear from sleevers that are much further out!!!! Thanks for sharing and updating!

-Cassie

Sent from my iPhone using VST

Thanks for share very encouraging to us new sleevers.

Thanks for the update--really glad to hear that things have gone so well for you--I hope to be able to say the same when I'm 2 years out (11 months out now).

Thanks for sharing your story, it is good to hear someone has been out 2 yrs and still going strong!!

Thanls so much for sharing... It is wonderful and inspiring to hear stories such as yours... I am still in the I dont know stage.. One day I want to the other I dont... I so want to be at a healthy weight!! For me the vanity is far less than the health aspect.... Yes I am obsessed with food... I hate it.. I would love to be rid of that!!!... Congrats on your success.. So happy to hear you are doing well and so nice to hear an update 2 years out!! Thanks and have a great weekend!!

Hi Foxbin,

I really liked your post and it is true that you can lose weight with hypothyroidism:). I have been on this journey almost six months. While I've had great success I've been slacking lately because I feel so good and fit in normal clothes. You've inspired me to get back with my program, quit the grazing! I need to be at the weight around where you are, since I'm about your height. I can hear your happiness thru your writing, and hopefully I too will quit thinking of food all the time.