Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dont flame me

Thanks icon! I am so excited for you!!! I feel like we've kindof travelled this road together and seeing you get so close to your date just amps me up!!!! 6 weeks!

Oh man!!! That's torture!!! It's clear that you took the "easy way out". *wink win

Curvy j' date=' thanks for your input. Okay, if y'all did it, I can. I did email him though for the reason you mentioned. I'm not about going behind his back. He's in mx, I'd be heartbroken if I had to come home with a fatty liver!!!![/quote']

It could be worse than coming home with a fatty liver, he could change to an open surgery midstream. Not all docs do it, but some will have you sign a document saying that if they can't do it laparoscopically, they will open you all the way up. Then your recovery time will be much much worse. Best thing you can do is work this out with your surgeon and not do anything "on your own."

I was lucky I guess. My doc gave me no limit on calories....just that it all had to come from Protein shakes.

It could be worse than coming home with a fatty liver' date=' he could change to an open surgery midstream. Not all docs do it, but some will have you sign a document saying that if they can't do it laparoscopically, they will open you all the way up. Then your recovery time will be much much worse. Best thing you can do is work this out with your surgeon and not do anything "on your own."

I was lucky I guess. My doc gave me no limit on calories....just that it all had to come from Protein shakes.[/quote']

Point taken!! How's that for motivation!? I did email him. He's generally really fast with replies so I should have an answer tomorrow.

Thanks icon! I am so excited for you!!! I feel like we've kindof travelled this road together and seeing you get so close to your date just amps me up!!!! 6 weeks!

Thanks Amy! We're definitely sleeve buddies, even if our surgeries are a few weeks apart :)

I've seen pre-ops all over the board. Mine had a choice of three different ones, but as a band conversion I was told liquid only for 2 weeks prior to surgery. A HUGE part of me is saying, heck, you need to lose 11 lbs and 2 weeks of liquid will take care of that - so why worry now? But, I've also seen Dr's that said a sleeve conversion doesn't require 2 weeks of liquids.

So, going to lose 11 lbs in the next month and try my best to stick to the liquids, but have a business trip in there so if I can lose a few pounds before that and slip up one or two meals, I'm not going to beat myself up.

I'm glad you've emailed your surgeon.

The variance in advice from them on lots of subjects is bizzare - pre op diets, straws, coffee the list is endless.

My thoughts are we chosen a surgeon for a number of reasons. We're trusting them to do a good job and take care of us. We need to do as we're told (or ask questions!)

Deano

Yay! I can do Atkins for the preop diet!!!! Much easier than the other!!!!! I got this!! Lol

I should have just emailed him and not bothered all of you. I'm sorry for inconveniencing you. :bashful

Yay! I can do Atkins for the preop diet!!!! Much easier than the other!!!!! I got this!! Lol

I should have just emailed him and not bothered all of you. I'm sorry for inconveniencing you. :bashful

No inconvenience! Glad you got good news!!!

Well. This isn't as much about the need to chew or not being done with junk. I'm already eating fairly healthy' date=' exercising lightly and trying to lose before my surgery date. It's more about that "I might pass out" feeling that I'm afraid of. I need my energy. I suppose though, I'll have to get used to what it feels like to have less calories anyway, since that's probably more calories than ill he gettin post op.

Icon, that's right!! salad with Protein. We're both going to mi doctor. :) I'm going to Garcia though. So would you say you mentally and physically just kindof adjust after a couple days on the shakes?[/quote']

I was given a 14 day low carb diet to follow which allowed me plenty of food. If you would like me to send you it then just send me your e mail address. Xxx

I'm currently on the pre-op diet and I can tell you honestly that I had my share of food funerals up until maybe a couple of days before I had to start the pre-op diet. So much so that I had gained weight and my BMI was getting really close to 50, which would have meant that I had to pay $500 more for surgery. That has been a big motivator in helping me to stick to the pre-op diet and I have lost 6 pounds already in the week since I started it. It really has not been that hard to stick to it, but I think I was ready--I had honestly gotten sick of eating junk in the days before I started it. I'm committed to doing the work before and after surgery that it takes to be successful. The only slight modification that I made to the diet that I was given is that I allow myself broth and other sugar-free liquids if I feel the need (saw this in other pre-op diets that are otherwise identical to mine), but I haven't much. My pre-op diet looks like this:

B: Protein shake

L: Protein Shake

D: salad with Protein (I was not given the 4 oz limit, so I have not limited myself to 4 oz. of meat necessarily)

Snack: another Protein Shake if needed

I relied on that additional protein shake (160 cal) the first few days, but after that, I chose broth (30 cal) instead. Last night, I did neither, but if I feel hungry later after dinner, I am comfortable with either of these choices.

I am not a doctor, but my ultimate advice to anyone who feels that they want to decide on their own about the pre-op diet is to make the decision based on your BMI. The closer it is to 50, the more likely that you have a fatty liver (although I do have 2 relatively skinny friends who were diagnosed with fatty liver disease because they eat fast food ALL the time), so I would suggest doing the full 2-week diet. If your BMI is lower, maybe you have more leeway. Good luck!

THANKS, I KNOW I HAVE TO DO IT. MY BMI IS 46 SO I KNOW MY LIVER IS PRETTY BIG. SO I'M GONNA DO THE 2 WEEKS AND HOPEFULLY COMPLETE THEM BEFORE SURGERY WITHOUT CHEATING.

Ok. I'm not complaining. I'm not saying that I cant do the preop diet. I'm not lamenting about not being able to go without good because I need bacon and chocolate.

What I AM saying is this: since so many surgeons all have a different PRE op diet' date=' is it safe to assume that I can pick another strict preop diet? Especially If I do it for 2 weeks vs the 1 that is required for my bmi.

I was choosing between 2 different surgeons. The other surgeon gave me a choice between 2 weeks low fat low carb or 4 days of only yogurt. This surgeon I chose says one week of

shake

shake

4 oz lean Protein

Shake if needed

Metamucil for hunger

What if I were to add super low carb low fat Proteins to this plan? Say

Shake

Egg whites

Shake

tuna

Shake

Ya think?

I'm not looking for ways to break rules. I'm just remembering my hcg days where I was eating 500 calories a day, and was sure I'd be in the hospital after day 4. i found myself on the floor thinking about orange juiced and shaking and woth serious fatigue that left me on the floor. I have 6 kids to take care of. Stairs to climb etc.

I still have about 4-5 weeks until I need to start. I'd like to plan ahead a little though.[/quote']

Every surgical team is different and what I can tell you is that they dont all

Do the process in exactly the same way and therefore ask different things of their patients. I would stick to their instructions as best you can

How would you know if your liver is fatty? Would you be able to physically be able to feel it? It would show up on blood tests right? My pcp did a manual exame

And I guess it was okay but how do you know? We dont eat a lot of fast food at all maybe once or twice a month ok maybe a little more cuz pizza is fast but my cholesteral and all other things are within normal range. How did you all find out you had a fatty liver?

I knew I had a fatty liver bc my sleeve surgeon took my gall bladder out 3 years ago. He mentioned it at that time. I think they can also see it on an ultrasound sometimes.

The funny thing is that even knowing that fact, I had NO pre-op diet at all!

How would you know if your liver is fatty? Would you be able to physically be able to feel it? It would show up on blood tests right? My pcp did a manual exame

And I guess it was okay but how do you know? We dont eat a lot of fast food at all maybe once or twice a month ok maybe a little more cuz pizza is fast but my cholesteral and all other things are within normal range. How did you all find out you had a fatty liver?

Blood tests are reliable indicator. They do a liver fuction test and if you have a high BMI and a struggling liver it's likely you have a fatty enlarged liver.

When you speak of Protein Shakes are you guys referencing the HMR diet? That is what my doctor has asked me to do