Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair loss concern......

hi sorry to hear this,

I was told to take Biotin but i would check with your doctor first. Thats a big concern for me 2. I had surgery on Dec 28th. I am almost 2 weeks out! Best of luck

TD41

I am 15 weeks out and having major hairloss , I am taking Biotin and zinc and using Fall Fight Shampoo and conditioner ... I have to admit it slowed it down a tad but still losing lots for my taste . My surgeon said it will happen as your bosy is still recouperating and taking all the Vitamins from less important places like hair/ nails . However he said don''t worry you wont go bald ... It will start to grow back ... :(

By the time Hair loss occurs, it is usually to late to prevent it (although you can prevent future hair loss). Hair loss comes about 4 to 5 months after surgery. This is partly because of the shock of the surgery itself. Did you every go through a spell where you noticed more lost hairs than normal? Probably you were ill or very stressed 4 to 5 months previously. Lack of Protein also contributes to hair loss. As we all now, this is an issue with WLS. The best thing to prevent hair loss is to keep up the protein-right from surgery, and use some good stress prevention techniques!

I agree with Ladydawg2009. Just focus on the weight loss and don't worry about your hair right now. It WILL grow back eventually. A year out from surgery you won't even be thinking about it. Just do your best with Protein intake as your body adjusts to everything. I also tried Biotin and some scalp treatments when I was going through that time period, but nothing seemed to help. Only TIME.

My husband just went through chemo and lost ALL his hair - everywhere! So we really have nothing to complain about. It's hard though because as women we are so vain about our hair. But believe me, you'll get through this. Best of luck to you all dealing with this right now!

I have thin hair to begin with and this is my worry also . I take in about 100 grams Protein a day , take Biotin 3000 mcg and also have hair extensions lol. There is this beauty product called x fusion that hides thinning hair try it its really good. Good luck

At three months out from surgery my hair started coming out 3-4 times the amount it has for years. I have always met or exceeded my Protein requirements but it is still coming out. I think this is because of the few weeks I was so limited following surgery. Granted, my Hair loss has finally slowed down a bit; however, I continue to lose a little every day. I know it will grow back. I've added a Biotin supplement from GNC to my diet to help hair, skin and nails so I'm not sure if my body has finally balanced out since surgery or what. All I do know is that I will continue biotin as a part of my daily regimen until I see a change in the fullness of my hair. Everyone hang in there; I know we'll survive it's just waiting for the turn around for full hair again. :) (Naturally curly here; have ONLY used Shampoo, conditioner and an over the counter V05 hot oil treatment every six months. Never even considered coloring due to the damage it can cause to some people's hair.) I know... WE WILL SURVIVE! :)

I haven't had surgery yet so I can't talk about the Hair loss that will come from it. But a couple years back I went through a bad time with my anxiety. I spent whole year in some heightened state of fight or flight. Heart was constantly over 100 bpm, whole body tense, and constantly afraid I was going to die to the point where my husband would stay awake to watch me fall asleep because I wouldn't go to sleep otherwise. It was a horrible year let me tell you! Oh and yes.. stress will make your hair fall out. I have always had super thick hair but that year I suddenly found myself with quickly thinning hair (added to the anxiety let me tell you). Somehow, someway, I broke out of that weird constant state of stress and found myself with the thinnest hair I probably have had since being a baby. I forced myself not to dwell on it. It's taken some time but my hair is regained some (if not most) of the thickness. I learned to no worry so much (about my hair anyway)... because stress or diet changes that can cause it to fall out can be fixed and your hair WILL come back. :)