Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Powders Drinks etc Aussies only

OMG Dean, I just read that your surgeon was George, he's doing mine as well at the holy spirit... tell me a bit about your experience - PLEASE!!!

Whats the hospital like ? - what was your pain/gas pains like? - how is his bed-side manner? - I'm getting mine after 11.30am ... was yours early in the morning or close to midday like mine?

George is great. He's like a whirlwind because he's so busy, but he's so busy because he's so good. His staff are great.

I was first up in the morning ....... maybe 9am?

I used nothing for the pain after surgery or at home, but I know everyone's experience is different.

Holy Spirit nice and the staff are really caring.

You must be getting excited. Not long now!

Is your dietician Margie or Michelle? I'm sure they'll get back to you soon.

Margie... Yet to check my mail - but no phone yet .... I'll be honest I couldn't stand the thought of shakes today - I had a berroca, skim Cappuccino and a salad and a fruit juice ... I'm making myself some kale salmon and Beans with a bit of miso soup... The thought of shakes Is making me sick ...OMG I suck at this :-(

I start every reply with OMG ... It's my headache it makes me either care too much like a ditz or not care at all like a skitz :-(

I have been advised by my dietitian to avoid Protein Drinks per see (like the body builders ones) and use any Meal Replacement ones.

I do not like Optifast but really all the Tony Ferguson Range. The adult goal for Protein for women is 40g per day and one shake is around 20mg. She stated this is important in the liquid stage so that we are still getting a balanced diet which is important to prevent muscle wastage and Hair loss.< /p>

Hi can anyone tell me is Optislim (I have the Optislim VLCD Platinum) the same (essentially) as Optifast?

the only Protein powder i have tried is www.myopure.com.au whey Protein concentrate

they have other more expensive ones but i'm kinda on a budget

they are in NSW somewhere - free shipping if you spend $100

it tastes OK to me - i add it to my fruit smoothies or just add vanilla and saccharine for a kinda milk shake - or cocoa to make a chocolate shake

Edited by JollyG

Hi,

Just like to enquire with everyone who has had to partake in the Protein supplements, of what brands and flavours you have had personal experience with, which was your favourite and best tasting and which you would not touch again in a famine!? I'm asking as I would like to find a new one but don't wants to spend $100's buying many to try.

I'll start it off.

I've tried:

whey Less- choc, strawb, vanilla, coffee.

I could only stomach the chocolate, actually quite like that flavour, all the others made me feel pretty nauseous.

I have to say though that none are overly sweet and they don't have the horrible Protein aftertaste.

Proto-Whey - choc/coffee (friend gave me some to try) didn't like as found it way too sweet and sickly and I could taste the protein -yuk.

MRM - Unflavoured, I think we all know what unflavoured whey Protein Powder tastes like - not pleasant, but at least you can mix it in Soups and sauces and I have heard you can put it in with jelly too, but I'd have to eat a whole jelly to get 15g of protein in, not worth it IMO.

Natures Way Shannan Pontons chocolate (you can buy it from Woolies)

-Foul, with a capital F! That's the only way I can describe it, strong protein taste and horrible flavour.

Well these are the only ones I've tried, I'd love to hear what my fellow Aussies have.

Has anyone tried Iso Whey? I am led to believe it is made by the same company who does the Whey Less, the ingredients are almost identical, I'd like to try it but want to know what others think

Thanks everyone, hope I read done good stuff here!

Hi, I use Aussie Bodies vanilla and just add frozen fruit to make my own shakes, generally only once a day, but if I am falling short on calories I have a second one after dinner

Bumping this to say that I have found Musashi P High Protein (not the Low Carb) to be the best value so far in Australia. 170 calories and 30 grams of Protein in 45g of powder. The instructions say to make it up with 300 ml of milk or Water. I have tried the iced chocolate so for and found it too watery with 300 ml. 200 ml is perfect for my taste, still quite thin like chocolate milk and not a very strong of protein-y taste. I haven't tried with milk as I don't want the extra calories and have read that the body can only handle so much protein at once. It mixes up easily and leaves no sludge.

You can get it pretty cheap from Chemist Warehouse.

I was previously using Optifast VLCD at 152 calories and only 17 grams of protein. I think this is cheaper as well. I will be ordering a big tub of chocolate and a small one of vanilla to try (I have a tough time with vanilla but I will try it).

I just tried the Musashi High Protein vanilla and I don't mind it. And that is saying something because I usually have a hard time tolerating artificial vanilla flavor. Again I mixed 45 grams with 200 ml Water and it is the consistency of milk. Shook it up in a tupperware cup with a lid and no gross residue either.

Hi,

the best ever Protein powder is "BNRG PROTO WHEY 2LB or 5LB, VANILLA CREME Protein PROTO WHEY .

You can get it from www.nutritionwarehouse.com.au . It took me a while to find out where to get/buy it.

It has won , best tasting Protein Powder .

​I been searching and asking is well. A other sliver recommended it to me. Taste great. Anyway, find out yourself if you like.

Later, BigFranky

Has anyone tried adding chia seeds to their drinks? It is so high in Protein, I had the band done and just happened upon the chia seeds, now looking to have the sleeve, so unhappy with my band. Drs appointment is 17/01/14 with Dr Jordaan on the Gold Coast... Would love advise

I find them revolting. I tried to like them but no dice!

I haven't bought powders with Protein in mind just meal replacement. I am on day 5 of my 14 day pre op diet. Rapid loss dairy free chocolate is delicious

Iso whey berry is absolutely disgusting. The chocolate is only slightly better

Iso whey vanilla is not too bad and the banana is the best. Having said that the banana still has that chemically aftertaste. What has really helped me stick with the shakes is the iso whey hot chocolate powder it doesn't have all the Vitamins and minerals etc but does taste like a "normal" drink. I just have my veggies for dinner and don't have a shake. I have a hot choc instead later in the evening.

My greatest concern, apart from the taste, is all the disgusting crap they have in them.