Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Wavering...sleeve or plication?

Okay...I'm being a wussy.

I'm scheduled to be sleeved in a little over five weeks and wondering if I'm choosing the right surgery. I've been comfortable with the thought of being sleeved for months, but now I'm coming up with all these doubts about the long term effects of ghrelin deficiency. I've read about sleevers being cold, having trouble with memory/concentration, changes in sleep patterns and a few days ago read a study that linked ghrelin to our ability to handle stress better. I want to be healthier and feel better, not FREEZING, MORE ADDLE-BRAINED, sleep DEPRIVED, and ANXIOUS and setting myself up for even more negative effects that aren't even known yet!!

So...plication. Basically a sleeve without removing any stomach, thus preserving ghrelin, awesome, right? Well I'm not so sure...I can barely find anything about it, but what I have isn't very promising. Unsatisfactory weight loss, horrible hunger and cravings, and the unfortunate complication of your stomach rotting away inside you due to blood flow restriction. :o Yikes!

Back and forth I go, over and over....someone ****** me up and shake some sense in to me, PLEASE!!

Tomorrow marks one month since my sleeve. Yes I'm cold alot but sure beats how hot I felt before. As far as stress- mine seems lower, even as I wean off my bp & anxiety medication. And what was the other concern?? Oh yeah memory... Just kidding! I've haven't had any problems, in fact I think its better. I find it much easier to teach & lecture now!!!

I struggled with the same thing and about a week ago,I called Dr Ortiz office and changed from Plication to Sleeve. I really lack self control and I finally decided on sleeve because I don't want to be hungry all of the time and the weight loss from sleeve is greater. So I get my sleeve done on 1/16 at the Obesity Control Center in TJ Mexico

I'm about 5 wks out and haven't had any of the problems you described, except for the stress of my husband possibly leaving me cause I had the surgery. You just have to decide if the other health benefits outweigh the possible side effects that may or may not even affect you. I have fatty liver disease and had pain in my liver every day for the past year, my blood sugars and cholesterol levels are always high, arthritis in my knees, plantar fasciitis, shortness of breath with exertion... I'm tired of the pain and the depression, and I'm tired of people looking at me like a fat cow for eating, even when I eat less than everyone else! I decided it was worth the risk. Good luck with your decision. I know from experience its not an easy one.

Why would your husband think of leaving because of the surgery? Are you really worried about that. You don't need that stress. Talk to someone. Maybe they can help you resolve this issure. This is your life. You only get one!! Really think you can find support here! Good Luck!

So you'd rather have your stomach rot inside of you, be starving all the time and not lose any weight than be cold? Makes sense.

I'm just not seeing how plication even seems like a good idea to you!

I'm 8 weeks post sleeve and yes I am colder than I was before but you know what solves that? More clothes, or a blanket. You know what solves being hungry (which apparently you'll be with plication)? Eating. You know what is the number one reason people don't lose weight? They eat.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

So you'd rather have your stomach rot inside of you, be starving all the time and not lose any weight than be cold? Makes sense.

I'm just not seeing how plication even seems like a good idea to you!

I'm 8 weeks post sleeve and yes I am colder than I was before but you know what solves that? More clothes, or a blanket. You know what solves being hungry (which apparently you'll be with plication)? Eating. You know what is the number one reason people don't lose weight? They eat.

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

Yes, Brit...I've been doing a lot of "hmmmmm" lately! LOL...I'm back on board with the sleeve. I emailed my patient coordinatior and the fact that even she suggested I stick with it over plication says a lot to me.

Thanks for commenting, everyone! :)

Tomorrow marks one month since my sleeve. Yes I'm cold alot but sure beats how hot I felt before. As far as stress- mine seems lower, even as I wean off my bp & anxiety medication. And what was the other concern?? Oh yeah memory... Just kidding! I've haven't had any problems, in fact I think its better. I find it much easier to teach & lecture now!!!

Thanks for your response, and humor! :) I tend to overthink a lot of things, and more often than not it leads to inaction on my part. I bog myself down...don't want to do it in this case with my surgery! I just need to STOP! LOL

On a side note...I'm amused that the verb "s n a t ch" in my original post seems to be censored. :P

I struggled with the same thing and about a week ago,I called Dr Ortiz office and changed from Plication to Sleeve. I really lack self control and I finally decided on sleeve because I don't want to be hungry all of the time and the weight loss from sleeve is greater. So I get my sleeve done on 1/16 at the Obesity Control Center in TJ Mexico

Good luck on your surgery..hope your pre-op diet has been going smoothly. I'm starting mine early on Monday. Please post and let us know how things went!

I was wondering if I was the only one who was cold!

Why are we cold? Is there some chemical issue going on? I used to be hot all the time (perimenopause), now I am freezing, that is until I am under the covers all night and I am roasting..can't win!

Hi KK...I've read some studies about ghrelin playing a part in body temp regulation. Granted these have all been done with mice/rats...but there is a link. Other folks have attributed being newly cold to their weightloss and losing "insulation". Not sure I agree with that one, as I have plenty of fluff and freeze all the time in the winter! My "insulation" only seems to work in the summer, and I sweat like a burly man (hope I havent offended any burly men reading)! LOL

So funny you should write that..I just read that as well. My boyfriend calls me Mama Carmen...like his grandmother, because I sit with a blanket wrapped around my shoulders...LOL!

Maybe we can turn those blankets into some new fashion craze? I for one, refuse to own a "snuggie" ! LOL

I actually like being cold instead of hot and sweaty like I was in the past. My memory is about the same but sometimes it is hard to remember but that's why I have a calendar in my phone to keep track of important dates lol. *I had to go back and look at your other concerns lol*. I'm not sleep deprived and sleep fairly well but I have to eat a carb before I go to bed because I can't sleep if my body is in ketosis. Also my anxiety is under control because I exercise regularly. Exercise has always helped me not feel anxious and stressed. My memory has always been a little off but I've always made it a habit to write important things down, just like a shopping list for grocery shopping, I'd be lost without it lol. My advice is get the sleeve and not the plication