Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hernia repair with VSG

I was sleeved on Monday, January 7th. While in there, my dr fixed a small hiatal hernia. I came home last night and the pain has remained fairly intense. My lortab doesn't make it the full 4 hours. I also have difficulty breathing with pain in the diaphragm obviously related to the hernia repair, but I also have pain in my shoulders and between my shoulder blades. Has anyone else had a hiatal hernia repaired (with or without the VSG)? Is the pain supposed to be pretty bad?

The pain in the shoulders is gas pain. Try taking Gax-X and walk as much as possible. This should go away in a few days. I also had a hiatal hernia repaired. After a few weeks you will feel so much better. Before surgery I had a very hard time catching my breath. After my hiatal hernia healed I can breathe so much better and deeper now. It will all get better in a few weeks and you will be so happy with your breathing. I was sleeved in November.

the shoulderblade pain Sounds like typical gas pain that can follow laproscopic abdominal surgery. It SUX. It doesn't feel like regular gas that you're used to... TOTALLY different animal.

Yes. The pain in the diaphragm killed me. I have a really high pain tolerance (had 2 kids no drugs). I woke up in recovery and went please this hurts. It got better day 2 though.

I has the repair too but had no pain at all. The only pain for me was the pressure (gas). I used all the pain meds possible for 2 days. 10 days out today and feel amazing! Best wishes!

I wasn't in pain from my hernia repair but the gas was horrible! I ended up in the ER because of it. I honestly thought I was having a heart attack!

Well, looks like people have different reactions :-) I knew there wasn't a "one size fits all", but I was truly surprised at the pain I still have. It is definitely better, but the aches in my shoulders keep me up at night. Thanks for all the feedback!

I am waiting insurance approval. Hope to have sleeve later this month. I too have a small hernia which he said he would fix. Couple of questions:

• For the last couple of weeks I have been getting a feeling of food coming up my throat, bad hunger like feelings, and pain (mid back) when I sleep on my right side. Had endoscope - all ok. Had gallblatter ultrasound - ok. I have had gerd before and this doesn't feel like it - it doesn't get worse when I lay down, opposite - worse when I stand up. I take 2 nexiums/day. Does this sound like something from my hernia. My Doctor is unconcerned about this and all set to continue with the surgery?
  • What is all the gas from and why is it such a big deal after surgery? I have read lots of recommendations to bring Gas X for post surgery...

Thanks All

I am waiting insurance approval. Hope to have sleeve later this month. I too have a small hernia which he said he would fix. Couple of questions:

[*]For the last couple of weeks I have been getting a feeling of food coming up my throat' date=' bad hunger like feelings, and pain (mid back) when I sleep on my right side. Had endoscope - all ok. Had gallblatter ultrasound - ok. I have had gerd before and this doesn't feel like it - it doesn't get worse when I lay down, opposite - worse when I stand up. I take 2 nexiums/day. Does this sound like something from my hernia. My Doctor is unconcerned about this and all set to continue with the surgery?

[*']What is all the gas from and why is it such a big deal after surgery? I have read lots of recommendations to bring Gas X for post surgery...

Thanks All

I am not sure about the connection between hernia and your regurgitation. I had no symptoms of a hernia and didn't realize I had one until after surgery and the dr told me he fixed it.

The gas is because during laproscopic abdominal surgery, they inflate the abdomen with gas to assist with surgery. It takes time for that gas to dissipate and it can be painful in the process - though not everyone feels it as intensely. It goes away - thankfully! Good luck in your journey. I'm 4 1/2 weeks out and really loving that I did this (though the first week I thought I had lost my mind for what I did! Lol)