Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 Weeks Post-Op Today...Not What I Expected...Anyone Else?

What a long, strange 6 weeks this has been. It seems such a long time ago that I was laying in the recovery room in horrible pain. This process has not gone at all how I have expected. My first 2 weeks I dropped 37 pounds. Then the scale didn't move AT ALL for 3 weeks. 3 weeks in a row I got on the scale to just get the exact same number. It was so discouraging. Today I got on the scale & I was down 5 lbs. Finally I am moving in the right direction again. I thought that I would have lost more by now. I do recognize (even with a 3 week stall) that my weight loss average is a pound per day over the past 42 days. That is a lot of weight. I also have finally broken through one of my biggest mental fears. I have been in the 380's many times in the past few years. I have never made it into the 370's. With my 3 weeks stall I was afraid that I was doomed to stay in the 380's. Well, today I am in the 370's. Over the past 6 weeks I have learned many things but there are 2 major lessons that I have taken away. The first is not to compare my weight loss to others. That is the most self-defeating behavior. If I looked at just my weight loss, I would be happy. When I compare myself to others is when I start to stress myself out & feel discouraged. The second lesson is to just follow the program. If I eat healthy, incorporate exercise & listen to my body then I will lose weight. It might not be the way that I expected, but it will come off. I am just starting this new journey. I need to be strong & have faith in myself & the process.

What a long' date=' strange 6 weeks this has been. It seems such a long time ago that I was laying in the recovery room in horrible pain. This process has not gone at all how I have expected. My first 2 weeks I dropped 37 pounds. Then the scale didn't move AT ALL for 3 weeks. 3 weeks in a row I got on the scale to just get the exact same number. It was so discouraging. Today I got on the scale & I was down 5 lbs. Finally I am moving in the right direction again. I thought that I would have lost more by now. I do recognize (even with a 3 week stall) that my weight loss average is a pound per day over the past 42 days. That is a lot of weight. I also have finally broken through one of my biggest mental fears. I have been in the 380's many times in the past few years. I have never made it into the 370's. With my 3 weeks stall I was afraid that I was doomed to stay in the 380's. Well, today I am in the 370's. Over the past 6 weeks I have learned many things but there are 2 major lessons that I have taken away. The first is not to compare my weight loss to others. That is the most self-defeating behavior. If I looked at just my weight loss, I would be happy. When I compare myself to others is when I start to stress myself out & feel discouraged. The second lesson is to just follow the program. If I eat healthy, incorporate exercise & listen to my body then I will lose weight. It might not be the way that I expected, but it will come off. I am just starting this new journey. I need to be strong & have faith in myself & the process.[/quote']

I think we all just need to keep our "eye on the prize" and not get discouraged by stalls (or in my case VERY SLOOOOW weight loss in general). The new stomach is a tool to teach us to eat smaller portions, so if nothing else, it is doing that. I think you have done a fantastic job though if you have lost almost a pound a day average at this point. I don't think any doctor would tell you haven't done well. Congrats!

I'm at 5 weeks out and I must admit I am having some of the same feelings. While I'm 20 + lbs down I was actually hoping to see more of a weight loss by now. I do understand the procedure was a tool but like you said, when you see some of the other weight loss stories you come to have so many expectations.

I'm on Soups and shakes and am terrified of eating other foods. Probably because I'm scared of what it's going to do to my tummy.....It seems I'm finally over the gas and the tummy noises and I don't want it to come back.

None of this discourages me because I know it's a journey but it is great to have a place to "talk" through your feelings and good or bad know that others are having some of the same experiences.

What a long, strange 6 weeks this has been. It seems such a long time ago that I was laying in the recovery room in horrible pain. This process has not gone at all how I have expected. My first 2 weeks I dropped 37 pounds. Then the scale didn't move AT ALL for 3 weeks. 3 weeks in a row I got on the scale to just get the exact same number. It was so discouraging. Today I got on the scale & I was down 5 lbs. Finally I am moving in the right direction again. I thought that I would have lost more by now. I do recognize (even with a 3 week stall) that my weight loss average is a pound per day over the past 42 days. That is a lot of weight. I also have finally broken through one of my biggest mental fears. I have been in the 380's many times in the past few years. I have never made it into the 370's. With my 3 weeks stall I was afraid that I was doomed to stay in the 380's. Well, today I am in the 370's. Over the past 6 weeks I have learned many things but there are 2 major lessons that I have taken away. The first is not to compare my weight loss to others. That is the most self-defeating behavior. If I looked at just my weight loss, I would be happy. When I compare myself to others is when I start to stress myself out & feel discouraged. The second lesson is to just follow the program. If I eat healthy, incorporate exercise & listen to my body then I will lose weight. It might not be the way that I expected, but it will come off. I am just starting this new journey. I need to be strong & have faith in myself & the process.

So happy for you Dee Dee,

You have really gotten off to a great start. I feel your pain as far as stalling. I'm at every other week having a good loss. I keep reminding myself NOT to get on the scale every day. I also remember when I was doing weight watchers, that this was exactly how I would lose. Every other week.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I am almost 2 weeks out and losing steadily. I sure hope I don't get into depression mode when my stall comes.

I'm at 5 weeks out and I must admit I am having some of the same feelings. While I'm 20 + lbs down I was actually hoping to see more of a weight loss by now. I do understand the procedure was a tool but like you said, when you see some of the other weight loss stories you come to have so many expectations.

I'm on Soups and shakes and am terrified of eating other foods. Probably because I'm scared of what it's going to do to my tummy.....It seems I'm finally over the gas and the tummy noises and I don't want it to come back.

None of this discourages me because I know it's a journey but it is great to have a place to "talk" through your feelings and good or bad know that others are having some of the same experiences.

At 5 weeks out if your NUT has cleared you for more foods then you should try them. Your body probably needs more than your giving it right now. I know that I would be starving right now if I wasn't eating veggies. Everybody has to do what's right for them. Listen to your body. Best of luck!

I am almost 2 weeks out and losing steadily. I sure hope I don't get into depression mode when my stall comes.

Honestly, it's hard to not get depressed. Just try to prepare yourself mentally. Know that when the stall comes it will end and we have all been through it. Good luck!

Deedee....with the exception of the first week or two I have ALWAYS lost the same way. I stay the same for a period of time then lose 3-5 pounds overnight. After all these months one thing is for sure, I have succesfully LOST alot of weight and it takes staying the course to get there, getting some exercise and drinking lots of Water. I was a 3X-4X and now. 14 with about 35-40 pounds to goal and I love how my body has changed and how I have energy and strength. Just BELIEVE and this is YOUR journey and you may lose slow but like many of us slow losers, it still works!!