Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why are my readings not coming down?!?!?!

this was a good topic for me to read, because I have been worrying about some of the same things as others...I am only a week out and am still on a liquid diet--consuming very few calories...I thought for sure my glucose level would be normal or might even get lower than normal...that has not been the case so far :( one of my primary reasons for having VSG was to try to resolve my diabetes...my levels got high one time in the hospital, and I needed 2 units of insulin...since I've been home, I haven't yet taken any of my meds (I was on 1000 mg of metformin twice daily with 40 units of Lantus daily)...my dr said I can stay off the meds as long as my levels average no higher than 150...so far they have been a little higher than than during the day (160s) but even got to 200 once today...I guess if they don't go down, I will have to start back on some of my meds...I am trying not to get down about this while I am still only 1 week out from surgery, but it's hard

an update from me--now at about 6 weeks out...at about 2 weeks out I started taking half of a metformin pill each morning...since then, my glucose levels have been very good; and in fact a few times it has dropped almost too low...I am tempted to try to go again without meds, since now my average level is way lower than the 150 my dr told me to stay under...what do y'all think? my alternative is to wait until I see my PCP for my six-month checkup in August before I doing anything differently :unsure:

I am very fortunate that my diabetes is under control right now. :P My husband is diabetic but refuses to have this procedure. So I have him take cinnamin and chromium piccalate. He also doesn't eat any breads' date=' pastas, rice, or potatos and he is having to take less insulin now. So as a precaution, i am also taking cinnamon caps and chromium piccalate for my blood sugar problems even though I don't have any anymore. I take it because my A1C is in the 6 range and I want it in the 5 range. :) [/quote']

What are cinnamon caps & chromium piccalates? I just had a check up with my PCP (first blood work in over a year) and my numbers are through the roof. Now I'm afraid they are too high to have the surgery. I was taking two meds for diabeties and one for high blood pressure now I'm taking 5 and I'm anemic. Ugh.

breederb, my a1c about a month pre-op was over 9, but it didn't prevent me from having the surgery...I understand your fear, though, regarding recovery and such...in the health food/vitamin section of the drugstore, cinnamon capsules are sold...from what I understand, they are basically cinammon in capsule form and there is no real possible harm in taking them even if they don't help with the glucose levels...I guess they are worth a try

When I started my 6 month process my a1c was over 10. Was sleeved 4/16 and just had blood work last week. My a1c is now 6.6. I haven't had to take a shot of insulin since my surgery. It's a wonderful feeling not having to stab yourself with a needle 4-5 times a day!

breederb' date=' my a1c about a month pre-op was over 9, but it didn't prevent me from having the surgery...I understand your fear, though, regarding recovery and such...in the health food/vitamin section of the drugstore, cinnamon capsules are sold...from what I understand, they are basically cinammon in capsule form and there is no real possible harm in taking them even if they don't help with the glucose levels...I guess they are worth a try[/quote']

Thank you so much for the info. It's worth a shot. I can't believe it by my A1C was 12!!!!! I should not have waited so long for a check up/blood work. I don't know if I should start a pre-pre surgery diet in order to get my numbers down as I wait for approval from the insurance.

breederb, the highest my a1c got was 11.5...that shocked me but was one of the reasons I decided to proceed with WLS...like I said, but the time 6 months later when I did lab work, it was down to a little over 9--that was about one month before my VSG...I wouldn't say that I did a strenuous diet during the 6 months when my readings went from 11.5 to about 9.0, but I was much more conscious of what I was eating and the effect it would have on my glucose levels...if you could get your a1c down to around what mine was pre-surgery, it might help your recovery and healing process post-surgery...I will be anxious to see what my a1c will be in August when I have lab work...if my level went down to 6.6 like mandy's did, I would be thrilled

I have to watch and be careful more now than ever. My sugar can fall at the drop of a hat. I keep sugar free and regular Popsicles around just in case. Along with fruits. I was told when my a1c was over 10, I couldn't have surgery til it was 9.0 or lower. I made it to 9 just before surgery and now a 6.6. No insulin shots make it so much more worthwhile. You'll get there girls. Watch your carb intake and excess sugars and drink lots of Water (even if it means adding a pack of sugar free kool aid or Hawaiian punch packets to your bottled water.) You can do it. I'm cheering you on!!

Thank you so much for the info. It's worth a shot. I can't believe it by my A1C was 12!!!!! I should not have waited so long for a check up/blood work. I don't know if I should start a pre-pre surgery diet in order to get my numbers down as I wait for approval from the insurance.

Yes, I think you should start a pre-pre-surgery diet to get your numbers down. In addition, I think your doctor will start you on one or more medications as well.

When I started my 6 month process my a1c was over 10. Was sleeved 4/16 and just had blood work last week. My a1c is now 6.6. I haven't had to take a shot of insulin since my surgery. It's a wonderful feeling not having to stab yourself with a needle 4-5 times a day!

Congrats I'm looking forward to that. I just take pills but I'm ready to be off them

Congrats I'm looking forward to that. I just take pills but I'm ready to be off them

Wow this is great to hear!! I was just sleeved 6/26/13 I cannot wait to finally get a my HB A1c done and seeing wonderful numbers too! Pre surgery i was a 9.2...when I first diagnosed many years ago I was at 14.1( brought it down with diet and exercise) So now that I am sleeved i will have even better numbers! My usual numbers now in the am are 110 and they will continue to improve. I ONLY take metformin 2x aday now. No more insuling shots or glipizide pills...things are looking up!

Yay! im so happy that we are all improving more and more each day!

Hello all Type 2's! I have been trying to find any comments on how high BS effects healing. I know if I get a scratch, it takes a long time to heal. Is it going to be the same on the inside with my stomach? I am going to Tijuana for sleeve surgery on 8/23. My dr in TX said 10.2 A1c was too high, but dr in MX said it was OK. Should I stay on liquids extra long after surgery? any advice is appreciated.

What are cinnamon caps & chromium piccalates? I just had a check up with my PCP (first blood work in over a year) and my numbers are through the roof. Now I'm afraid they are too high to have the surgery. I was taking two meds for diabeties and one for high blood pressure now I'm taking 5 and I'm anemic. Ugh.

These are supplements. I've read in many articles by RD and nutritionist that these are helpful in lowering blood sugar. I do believe that it has helped my DH with lowering his BS. It's worth giving it a try... :P

Hello all Type 2's! I have been trying to find any comments on how high BS effects healing. I know if I get a scratch, it takes a long time to heal. Is it going to be the same on the inside with my stomach? I am going to Tijuana for sleeve surgery on 8/23. My dr in TX said 10.2 A1c was too high, but dr in MX said it was OK. Should I stay on liquids extra long after surgery? any advice is appreciated.

I would start by doing a liquid diet before your surgery to help decrease the chances of having a fatty liver. By doing the liquid diet, your A1C should drop. Does your medical insurance cover a visit to a nut or dietician. Perhaps your doctor can order some bleed workup to determine if you have a fatty liver. Good luck and can't wait for you to join us on the BIG LOSER'S BENCH! :P

thanks, I appreciate that. I am doing great on my pre-op diet. Slim Fast high Protein chocolate is a life saver! I only eat a no carb meal at dinner. If I could do this forever, I wouldn't need surgery!

I had my surgery one week ago. My BS has steadily risen and is now 311. The highest amount of carbs I have consumed is 74. I am frustrated and confused. No one said this could happen.