Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

April 2006 Bandits November Challenge

Welcome to November, April Bandits! It's nearly the holidays and we're all going to meet our weight loss goals with the help of our November Challenge. Speaking of, the terms are as follows:

(1) Complete 17 or more exercise sessions (counting only one session per day, if you're the type to do more!);

(2) To count, each session must be at least 35 minutes in duration; and

(3) Consume at least 64 oz of Water (or whatever your personal goal for water intake is) at least 6 days a week.

We can do it! Let's check in with each other often this month, as the holidays make it so easy to check out on diet/exercise until the New Year.

Here we go....

OK, so I'm reporting in on session #1 of at least 17 for the November exercise challenge. Last night I met with my trainer, Tamisha. She really likes me to work on weights with her rather than cardio because she knows I get at least some cardio on my own, but that I don't usually train on my own. I always fight that a little because I know cardio gives me the weight loss I like, but I know she's right that muscle tone will pay off with weight loss over the long haul, so I usually acquiesce.

Anyway, (drum roll, please)….I ran TEN FULL MINUTES at a 12 minute mile pace with no breaks!!! I was rockin' the Kasbah. WOOHOO! I'd never made it past 7 minutes before without at least a break (ok, I just started running at the beginning of last week, but still). What I didn't realize is that when you hit that wall of "I can't run anymore," if you push through it, sometimes you can run more. I have that at like 3 minutes, and 6 minutes, but once I made it to 7.5 minutes, I really felt fine. Now I have to work on my form. I said when I got to 10 minutes, I'd work on my comfort/form before moving too much further (because I don't want to run too much until I lose about 50 more lbs, so that I don't risk injury).

Anyway, then we did our regular 60 minutes of strength training, so that's my session #1.

I packed gym clothes with me today, but I'm not sure I'm really going. I know I'll go Fri, Sat, Sun, so I may take today off. Then again, since I'm going to France later this month, I need to get in as many of the 17 as possible early in the month.

Report in on you when you have a chance!

The month is NOT starting out well for me!!! I seem to have caught Eva's flu!!!!! Chills, fever, etc. I've had to use my Nebulizer to prevent my asthma from getting out of control. What a way to start my cruise this weekend!!!

Anyway....Julie, question... if I workout in the morning, and then do some more in the evening, can that be counted as two workouts?

I hope to get better while I'm away and get in my exercise. I'll post we I return .

Roberta

Oh Roberta, I'm so sorry you're sick! Take care and feel better soon.

I think we've decided that if you work out in the morning and again in the evening, you get major admiration and maybe even dancing bananas if you're vocal about it, but you should only count one of the sessions toward your goal of 17. The reason is, our goal is to incorporate exercise into our regular, daily lives. Of course, if your goals are different and you want to count it, that's truly fine too.

I did 35 min on the elliptical tonight. Then I ate a couple of brussel sprouts and they're hurting me as if I wolfed down a loaf of french bread or something! Such a bummer because they were delicious.

:phanvan not good for me either, my first day I work my heart out in that garden, here I am two days later with severe lower back ache and off work again, it really annoys me a) as I would like to be working :) dying to do some exercising to win the challenge, but now I am flat on my back, with no-one to moan to, hehehehe!!!! I never had back problems before, yet I lose 20 kilos, 40 something pounds and it hit me..............mmmmmm sad!!!!

Ok is there somewhere we sign up, and noone told me what the prize was hahaha!!!

XXAmourette

Any news from Alison in South Africa?:)

I'm going to try to get in on this challenge this month. I'd like to lose 5kg before Christmas but it may be difficult. I have a port revision scheduled for Tuesday so I doubt I will win the challenge, but I'm gonna try to walk on the treadmill in the days after. When I feel better I'll get back to curves. I started there just last month and I really liked it, but then I got sick and haven't been back in a week.

I'm hoping that with the port revision and my 2nd fill (it will be 6cc in a VG band) I will be able to get some restriction, after these 6 months I have still been able to eat more or less normally and I haven't had much success so far, so wish me luck!

Amourette,

There's no "sign up" per se -- you just come here and report in on what you've done/what challenges you're having, and (in the end) when you complete the challenge. Most of us complete it, so there's no one winner either. It's about checking in with each other and incorporating some exercise into our lives most days. Though we're only at 17 sessions of 35 minutes now, our long term goal is 20 sessions 45 minutes. We're working up to it.

I'm so sorry your back is out! That's the pits. Baby yourself this weekend then you'll be back into the challenge in no time. I bet your garden looks great though!

Heather,

That's great that you're getting a port revision. You're going to have great restriction in no time and you'll be taking the band out for a long spin of weight loss. Let us know how you're doing and I'm impressed that you're staying with the November challenge even with the port revision scheduled. Way to go!

Hi Everyone!

I have been so busy that I didn't even know the board was down the other day until I went on Myspace and had messages from other LBT'ers asking if I was having trouble getting on the board. Anyways, I am happy to anounce that we finally had our big meeting yesterday that I have spent the past month working on projects for, everything went great and I can finally breath a big sigh of relief and resume normal life and activity again.

Julie, girl, you continue to amaze me. Running, wow. I am afraid of running for fear of black eyes. You are doing awesome though.

Roberta, I hope you get to feeling better soon. Amourette, sorry about your back. You can moan to me about it!

11/1: No exercise. 50 oz. Water

11/2: 40 minutes treadmill. 48 oz. Water (48 is my daily goal)

Hi everyone-

Well so far I am off to a good start!! We spent the morning after Halloween cleaning up, raking leaves, winterizing. We raked and mulched for 4 hours. I had filled 4 - 20oz. bottles of Water and had them in the fridge, by the time we finished the yard, 3 were gone already!!! I refilled them, and by night, only 1 was left in the fridge. Yesterday I hit Curves, and took my Granddaughter to the park. We walk, it is about 1/2 to 3/4 of a mile, each way, while there I push her on the swing etc, generally chase her around..and walk home again. Yesterday I finished 3 bottles of water, and had a 44 oz iced tea from Sonic...we treated ourselves when we walked to the park!

Amourette & Roberta...I sure hope you guys feel better soon. The month is young, you will make the challenge, don't fret! Same with you Heather, the surgery will be behind you, and it will work much better, once the band can do what it was designed to do.

Susan, glad the big meeting went well, you should breath MUCH easier now!!!

Julie, WTG on the running. This old broad is gonna stick to her walks!!! I have had both knees operatedon, and am pain free, hope to stay that way!!

The month is young, we will all get there!!! Feeling a bit jealous of all of you traveling...then again, I have had so much chaos in my life, being home and quiet has major appeal!!

Kat, you're doing great already this month! Way to go. Walking to the park is wonderful. A lot of walkers/runners in my area do a run in Central Park around a little lake called The Reservoir. I think you've inspired me to do that this weekend.

Susan, my trainer fears for my "black eyes" as well. I got new bras last week and they're so much better but she says they're still not good enough -- I just don't know what else to try. I'm having the girls lifted in April, so I guess I'll deal until then....

The NYC marathon is this weekend. It passes by 1 block from my house. I'm going to have to go check it out. I've been a couple of times before, but never with the thought that I might make it a goal for myself one day. We'll see. I need to be able to run a mile first, haha.

Hello All,

Hope all you sickies are better!

My son had his surgery on Tuesday morning, had a very rough time of it for a couple of days..............they had to go in to surgery again because he was bleeding so much...........they found that it was because of all the blood thinnners he is on and they gave him some major clotting factors that did the trick..................He's been in a lot of pain the past few days, but that is getting better, they removed all his drains and today he got to leave ICU and go to a intermediary ICU.............thank God, he's on the mend! Nothing in the world like having your child (even at 43) go thru something like this............this is his 2nd time - had a similar surgery 18 years ago.................hopefully he will not have to repeat this again.

So, minus a couple of days this month............I'm hoping to get started back to exercise tomorrow morning................have a bunch of grandkids sleeping over tonight (my son's 3 children) that will stay with Poppops while Grammy goes to the gym in the morning!

I've been very tight the past few days (wonder why) and have had to only do yogurt and stuff like that...............hopefully all will settle down and I'll get back to NORMAL!

Betty-- I am so glad to hear your son is doing better now, I have been wondering and praying for him as well as you and your family. Those blood thinners are so scary, that is what caused my DH's massive GI bleed a few weeks ago. Enjoy your grandkids, and I am so glad he is getting better. I am sure there is no age that you don't worry about them!

Did Curves today, and took the granddaughter for a walk, we walked for an hour, she went to sleep eventually, and the colors were so pretty, and the weather so perfect, I just kept walking, it was very enjoyable. I have my 4 bottles of Water gone, just ate, so will likely get a bit more in before bed.

Betty, take care of you while you take care of your family. Don't worry about things too much, we will all be here when you get things calmed down. and your band will be ready to work when you are!! Big hugs!

Kat

HI everyone, I was only joking about the prize, just trying to ruffle a few feathers into some competition, not that I am that much of a threat lying on the couch with my back pain, actually I was naughty, yes I know, before you all start saying something, and was in the garden lifting some heavy things, back hurts again so I have given in for the night. I am my own worst enemy!!!

But my garden looks good...........I hope I don't kill anything in it, I have tried so hard to go by the book!!!

Obviously down here it is warming up a lot, nice clear days, but cool, it gets too hot later.................we celebrated Guy Fawkes this weekend, which is like your July 4Th, lots of fireworks..............

Happy weekend to you all!

XX Fiona

It's getting closer to port revision day, I know I should have done some exercise today but I've just been so tired...I'm trying to kick a cold as well. Well, I hope the port revision is as simple as everyone says it is cuz tuesday is the day!

Everyone else sounds like their doing great...I just checked out the weight thread and its amazing how much people have lost since April. I hope after my revision I'll get some restriction and I'll be on my way as well!

Got in my first day of exercise for this month! My son may be coming home from the hospital tomorrow..............yipee!